"corrupting the youth"

coberst

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 05:22 am
"corrupting the youth"

Science informs us that we are creatures who have evolved over a period of billions of years. Our human nature has many traits, all of which are the products of these years of evolution.

I suspect that every trait we have can prove to be both positive and negative to our welfare depending upon our understanding, personality, character and how we nurture those traits. It seems to me that our task is to learn what these traits of nature are and, as much as possible, "to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative".

Two characteristic traits of human nature that I would like to dwell upon are our inclination to acquire and to know.

It is easy enough to understand our acquisitive nature, without it we, like the squirrels, would not survive the winter. I find that our desire to know requires a little more effort to comprehend.

The Greek philosopher Socrates admonished his fellows that "the unexamined life is not worth living". I think that he had discovered a very important aspect of our innate desire to know and wished to inform all of his fellows of that insight. For his efforts his fellows decided he was "corrupting the youth" and he was required to drink a cup of hemlock.

Aristotle, Plato's pupil, begins one of his books with "all men by nature desire to know". He went on to express his conclusion that knowledge is an end in itself. He says that not only is knowledge a good in itself but that knowledge is the highest end of human achievement.

I am convinced that virtually every mature adult can learn to understand the meaning of these claims but no individual can be taught to understand their meaning.

I shall repeat my last sentence. I am convinced that virtually every mature adult can learn to understand the meaning of these claims but no individual can be taught to understand their meaning.

What do I mean by such an unseemly statement? I conclude that there is a fundamental difference between being taught something and in being a self-learner of something.

To be taught indicates a relationship between a teacher and a pupil. In such a learning mode the pupil understands that the subject matter is to be learned because the teacher is teaching it. A teacher teaches pupils that which the teacher knows and desires the pupil to know. Only as a self-learner will I seek and find disinterested knowledge.

Understanding the meaning of the words of these two philosophers is a slowly developing reality. The self-learner must assimilate much through self-learning to reach this degree of understanding. I like to use the analogy of creating a work of art using papier-mâché. Not only is the object formed slowly piece by piece but the object is created in every way during the forming process.

When I am doing "self-learning" and when I speak so favorable about self-learning I am speaking of disinterested learning i.e. learning only for the sake of knowing. I self-learn so that I might gain knowledge for the sake of knowing and understanding. Self-learning can produce knowledge that is a value in and of itself. Self-study for the purpose of accomplishing some task does not qualify as disinterested learning.

It seems to me that our culture has corrupted education to be only a means for acquisition to such an extent that it has totally masked the nature and process of disinterested learning. In our quest for more material things we have narrowed the meaning of education to such a point that all education, all learning, is merely a means to an end. We learn so as to become more efficient acquirers. We do not even comprehend why one might seek disinterested knowledge. We do not even comprehend the nature of disinterested knowledge.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 586 • Replies: 4
No top replies

RaceDriver205

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 06:22 am
Yeah, Australian kids are not the slightest bit interested in learning. They just don't care (and im not saying thats good or bad, they just dont).
I have always been the exception to all my mates. I have always found learning interesting things (esp science/tech related) enjoyable and fruitfull. "How the hell do you know that" is a phrase I hear often, and I agree that self-teaching is incredibly more efficient/faster/effective than being taught by a teacher.
Oh well, what u gonna do as the saying goes, works out alright for me.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 10:18 am
Re: "corrupting the youth"
coberst wrote:
...no individual can be taught to understand their meaning.

Which makes me wonder why you continue to post this proclamation so often, except to pat yourself on the back for being such a dutiful Socratesian (which comes pretty close to undermining your claim to disinterestedness). Paradoxically, the luxury of indulging in disinterested knowledge--and the flaunting of it--is itself a badge of affluence, and thus fundamentally a result of the "acquisitive" mode of thought.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 01:59 pm
Shapless

I continue to speak about such things in the hope that I might invigorate the curiosity of the reader sufficiently that the reader will go the library and begin the hobby of self-actuated learning.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:55 pm
coberst, again I see over-simplifications and generalizations in your theories that are not supported.

There are kids who learn what they must ..and there are kids (like I was) who love to learn for it's own sake, and I would suggest that this has always been so, even in Socrates time.

If anything, I imagine that a far greater percentage are conscious of the value and beauty of education than at any previous time in human history (but like you I lack evidence to back this up)
0 Replies