Living in a human body, is everyone else oblivious?

dev56

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 01:25 am
Drowned By Darkness wrote:
To me, it would mean a lot. I am a very curious person, always wanting to know how things work. One thing, though, that I cannot grasp is life. I would LOVE to be able to know how it works, and what reality in itself that I live in, let around everything around me.

Good for you. If you didn't think this way, then there would be no point in you reading or discussing philosophy.

Although metaphysical questions such as this can seem at first blush, unimportant and a waste of time, they could become important later on if you continue to do work in philosophy. There may come a time when you are either developing your own theorys or analyzing the theories of others. It is always good to be able to see what particular metaphysical stance a theory either implies or forces one to accept. To be sure, most modern philosophy doesn't take an explicit metaphysical stance, and most philosophers do not write theories of metaphysics (because they are almost impossible to prove). Knowing about the different metaphysical positions can help you get a feel for where the theory you are considering fits into the landscape of ideas.

The only other advice I can give about metaphysics is not to think about it so much as, is this theory true or false. True or false doesn't really apply to theory choice. It is more a matter of plausibility, explanatory value and elegance.

Don't give up on metaphysical questions because they are difficult to answer, that is why they are worthwhile. Besides that they are good mental exercise and a lot of fun (if you like that sort of thing).
0 Replies

Drowned By Darkness

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 09:32 pm
Thanks for the advice dev, I might have to look into metaphysics.
0 Replies

dev56

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 11:11 pm
Drowned By Darkness wrote:
Thanks for the advice dev, I might have to look into metaphysics.
no problem. your wellcome.
0 Replies