Final Quarter: Humans v Corporations

coberst

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 04:13 am
Final Quarter: Humans v Corporations

As a human grows older s/he generally loses power to the final end when all power disappears.

As a corporation grows older its power and wealth generally increases and its life has no obvious termination.

Do humans control corporations or do corporations control humans? As time goes on how does this power ratio change?

We seem to have developed a fetish (obsessive devotion) for commodification (making an entity an object of commerce) and reification (making an object of an idea). In other words, we seem to be obsessed with making more of what were human values into objects and making these objects valued in dollars.

In a world of such fetishes it seems to me that the corporation constantly gains and humans constantly lose.

What is the logical end for such a process? I think the logical end is that humans slowly morph into a machine controlled by our invented machines, i.e. our corporations.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 481 • Replies: 6
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 05:02 pm
More nonsense. Corporations don't exist in a vacum. Without human intervention a corporation ceases to function and ceases to have any impact on anyone. Humans run and control the corporations so if a corporation "constantly gains" there are humans behind those gains.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 06:10 pm
coberst, read "The Octopus" by Frank Norris and then tell me what you think.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 07:48 pm
Re: Final Quarter: Humans v Corporations
coberst wrote:
Do humans control corporations or do corporations control humans?

The major drawback of your tendency to put things in neat categories, Coberst, is that you don't allow much room for the shades of grey that one finds everywhere in the world. You are content to put all corporations on the Naughty list because it relieves you of the task of investigating real-life instances of corporate business practices and human interactions. This armchair philosophy is fine for refining vocabulary and hashing out the definitions of abstract concepts, as your posts often do, but it's a little less convincing when you try to explain the way the world works without citing things that happen in the real world.

I sometimes wish philosophy weren't so safe. It's easy to say whatever you want when you're hovering way up high in the world of generalizations; when you're not making claims about anything specific, it's harder to hold you accountable. I wish there were a way to remove that safety net.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 06:35 am
smog wrote:
coberst, read "The Octopus" by Frank Norris and then tell me what you think.

I did not read the book but read this Amazon review "This important book on the struggle for power and survival between wheat farmers and the Pacific and Southwestern Railroad involves the lives and deaths of many that we learn to care about deeply. The contrast between scenes of starvation and desperation and descriptions of a tycoon's dinner party are devastating" I suspect the book would only reinforce my general attitude.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 06:44 am
Shapless

You make some very good points that I must agree with. Generaly when I make a post I am attempting to bring to awareness or consciousness of the reader concepts or situations that I consider to be important. I am of the impression that most of our citizens live a life of intellectual sleepwalking and must be rudely awakened on occassion.

When one is dealing with knowledge it is necessary to take a different approach than when dealing with awareness or consciousness. Awarness and consciousness is a matter not of truth but of 'pointing at'. I am generally just trying to 'point at'. I do not think that discussion forums are useful for gaining knowledge but are useful for gaining awareness and consciousness. With consciousness I hope that the reader will be curious enough then to go to the library and seek knowledge and understanding. Untill consciousness is excited such will not happen.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 08:40 am
coberst wrote:
I suspect the book would only reinforce my general attitude.

(I had a longer post written, but I decided to go with:) Give it a glance, at least, if you ever get a chance. I think it will reinforce some of your views, I think it will give you a new perspective on some others, and I think you will enjoy it greatly.
0 Replies