If you curse at them, they will come?

husker

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:44 pm
If you curse at them, they will come?
Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:26 PM ET

By Paul Tait

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australia launched a new A$180 million ($133 million) advertising campaign Thursday which seeks to attract international tourists by swearing at them.

"Where the bloody hell are you?" asks the new campaign launched by Australian Tourism Minister Fran Bailey.

Bailey said the campaign will target potential tourists in China, Japan, India, the United States, Germany and Britain and would be rolled out in the next few weeks.

It echoes the hugely successful "Put another shrimp on the barbie" tourism campaign of the 1980s, which featured singlet-wearing comedian Paul Hogan and which lured an estimated 250,000 American tourists to Australia.

The new campaign, which can be seen on Tourism Australia's Web site (www.wherethebloodyhellareyou.com), features a series of Australian backdrops.

It begins with characters saying: "We've poured you a beer and we've had the camels shampooed, we've saved you a spot on the beach ... and we've got the sharks out of the pool."

A bikini-clad woman then asks: "So where the bloody hell are you?."

Bailey and Prime Minister John Howard both defended the campaign against complaints about the use of the word "bloody," a mild profanity used to express annoyance.

"It's a colloquialism, it's not a word that is seen quite in the same category as other words that nobody ought to use in public or on the media or in advertisements," Howard said.

"I think the style of the advertisement is anything but offensive but is in fact in context and I think it's a very effective ad," he told reporters in Sydney.

Howard complained last month about the decline of good manners in Australian society, blaming the drop in standards on increasing vulgarity on television.

Bailey said the campaign had been tested in some of Australia's key markets and had been successful, although she gave no details.

"This is presenting Australia as we are. We're plain-speaking, we're friendly. It's using the vernacular," Bailey told reporters.

While the "shrimp on the barbie" campaign attracted thousands of tourists, its crassness caused many Australians to cringe.

It was followed in 1995 by a A$100 million ($74 million) campaign -- then Australia's biggest single marketing and advertising campaign -- which sought to convince the world Australia also had culture.

Bailey said Australia's tourism industry was worth A$73 billion and employed 500,000 Australians.
link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,381 • Replies: 18
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:50 pm
I forsee big problems. So, the rest of the world comes - and has no idea "bloody" is swearing. Could get complicated.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:51 pm
Quote:
A bikini-clad woman then asks: "So where the bloody hell are you?."

I like this!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:54 pm
Husker, are you sure it's not the bikini-clad woman that you like and not the question? :wink:

Actually, I think it's kind of cute.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 06:02 am
roger wrote:
I forsee big problems. So, the rest of the world comes - and has no idea "bloody" is swearing. Could get complicated.

Yep, there could well be a few "lost in translation" problems.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 02:57 pm
Bloody isn't a BIG swear word....only a little one.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 03:52 pm
oh poop.

So what are the good ones?
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 04:04 pm
Yeah I saw the advert on the news last nigh...its ok
0 Replies

mans

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 11:23 pm
hey yeah, i saw that ad....why they were posting it in Australia i don't know!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 12:24 am
roger wrote:
oh poop.

Well, you silly ass, they are ******* ****, and stuff like that.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 01:13 am
Don't say ****, it's a **** of a word.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 02:01 am
dlowan wrote:

It's not so much that "bloody" is a bad swear word. It's just that that I'm not so sure that the Oz meaning of "Where the bloody hell are you?" can necessarily be accurately translated to an entirely different culture. I predict some very colourful & strange messages coming up! And I wonder what will be made of pacifying Tasmanian devils? How will this be understood, say nothing of translated? This campaign could become wildly surreal! Razz
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 02:06 am
msolga wrote:
dlowan wrote:

It's not so much that "bloody" is a bad swear word. It's just that that I'm not so sure that the Oz meaning of "Where the bloody hell are you?" can necessarily be accurately translated to an entirely different culture. I predict some very colourful & strange messages coming up! And I wonder what will be made of pacifying Tasmanian devils? How will this be understood, say nothing of translated? This campaign could become wildly surreal! Razz

Surreal? That would make a nice change!!!!

Surrealist World Map

http://www.public.asu.edu/~aarios/resourcebank/maps/img8.gif
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 03:09 am
The advertising company is based in England.

So if th campaign bombs..... No wuckers.........We blame the poms. :wink:

BTW if you freeze frame the last shot of the bikini babe at just the right time she shows you one of her......erm... charms.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 04:56 am
The English are selling Oz to the world???

Is that right? Confused

This is getting sillier by the minute! (But explains quite a bit about the campaign?)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 11:10 pm
http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5121969,00.jpg
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 04:30 am
roger wrote:
oh poop.

We usually find that "George Bush" covers almost ALL profanity requirements.

For the rest, there's ****#@
0 Replies

Kehoe

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 10:53 pm
msolga wrote:
http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5121969,00.jpg

That's a classic!!!
The funniest cartoon I've seen lately.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 05:54 am
Yep, Kehoe, they can't stay away, can they? It's almost as if they're wondering why it is we expect them to come any more! Confused
Roll on the republic! Very Happy
0 Replies