Destructive Woodpeckers

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:07 am
When they first colonized the great willow I welcomed them. Never had I seen these magnificent birds closely enough to observe their daily habits. But I didn't know they could end up killing perfectly healthy trees. The limb they were living in broke off, and I thought they would be done with it and move on. But they just moved to a new part and began all over. The tree is at the brink; I've got to rid it of these pesky birds now. How do I do it? Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,583 • Replies: 19
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:30 am
Could you seal up evry hole you find, when you find it, or maybe find a safe way to pollute them, maybe with moth balls, or something? Surely, they would find a more productive neighborhood.

We have the flicker woodpecker, which only bores into dead trees or branches. What kind do you have down there?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:56 am
edgar,
Do you know what kind of woodpecker they are ?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 11:53 am
Are you sure the willow is perfectly healthy? Willows tend to rot from the heart outward.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 12:41 pm
Noddy, the tree may or may not be unhealthy, if that is the case. But, the birds killing off these major limbs is going on for sure.

I don't know all the kinds of woodpeckers that live around here. I have seen perhaps three types. There are the big ones, dark, with the red head and then the speckled ones. The ones in the willow are about the same color as the big ones, but they seem smaller. Maybe if I Google I can learn more.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 12:51 pm
There are 14 kinds of woodpeckers in Texas. I don't know what mine are. I do like the idea of putting mothballs in their holes.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 01:55 pm
Edgar--

Are the branches that the birds are pruning showing signs of rot?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 02:08 pm
If the speckled ones are sort of dove gray, and have a brick red underwing when they fly, that would be the flicker. They would be welcome up here.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 02:22 pm
They are dark, not gray.

Noddy, the limbs were good looking, until the woodpeckers made rows of holes in them.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 02:23 pm
I dont know how effective this method is, but when FIL was alive, he had some silver electrical style tape that he would cover the holes with.

Apparently this house had a real bad attack of the woodpeckers about 5-6 years ago.

Anytime he saw a hole, or knew where they were begining a new one, he would cover it up.

Doing this, it took about 4 months, but they have not been back since.

Maybe it was the tape, maybe it was the constant invasion of their homes? who knows.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 02:28 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
There are 14 kinds of woodpeckers in Texas. I don't know what mine are. I do like the idea of putting mothballs in their holes.
Two points:

Doesn't Texas has the automatic kill directive?

How do you intend to catch them to put mothballs in their holes?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 02:31 pm
Edgar,

I can lend you some cats. I rarely have birds around here. Not many squirrels either, come to think about it. How many ya want? Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 02:32 pm
The automatic kill directive is for human prisoners (line 'em up, convict 'em, then execute them). Birds have more rights than that.
I intend to sneak up on them in their sleep, chumly.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 02:32 pm
We're close enough to spring that the woodpeckers may be courting. Do they drum-drum-drum on the willow tree or just tap-tap-tap for insects.

Are the holes in a straight line or are they scattered?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 02:35 pm
Edgar,

I didn't mean the cats would kill them! Shocked The birds just stay away from here because of so many cats being here. Geesh! I wouldn't kill an animal! Embarrassed
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 02:46 pm
There are about five cats always in the vicinity, Momma Angel.

Noddy
The woodpeckers came to the tree two years ago. The limbs aren't big enough for the holes to scatter much, but they seem to be in a line. Lately I haven't seen actual birds, but you didn't always see them in the past. I only recall seeing heads of the young when they were relatively new there.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 03:38 pm
If the birds nest in that tree, the are drilling for bugs rather than making wild passionate territorial claims.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 03:48 pm
Call you local Audubon Society to find out ways to possibly scare off the birds and an licensed arborist to diagnose the tree. I think Noddy is correct that the tree is not healthy and has an insect infestation that you can't see. There is a willow borer that they love to eat and that is probably what they are after. Woodpeckers will sometimes drill on trees or metal just to make noise, but when you see many of them pulling apart a tree it's because they have found food.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 04:02 pm
edgarblythe gave us a rare look at his dark side when he wrote:
I do like the idea of putting mothballs in their holes.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 04:03 pm
Perhaps the holes are the willow borer?

http://www.umanitoba.ca/afs/hort_inquiries/deciduous_ornamentals/poplar_willow_borer.html
0 Replies