Mayor of London suspended

phoney

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 06:16 pm
Mayor of London Ken Livingstone is suspended for a month for insulting a newspaper reporter.
After having a microphone stuck in his face after a party Ken likened the reporter to a concentration camp guard. The reporter said "I find that remark offensive, I'm Jewish".

Another nail in the coffin of free speech.
Livingstone made a silly remark after a few drinks. And it appears the reporter didn't make a complaint. It was The Board of Deputies of British Jews reported him and he was suspended by the Adjudication Panel of England (the who?)
And by an ironic twist the person who will take over for the period of the Mayors suspension is the Deputy Mayor - who is Jewish And the Deputy Mayor said "Ken Livingstone hasn't a racist bone in his body" and she should know.
What a fuss about nothing. And Ken gets a bill for £80,000 although he is appealing. Soon we'll all be afraid to open our mouths in case we inadvertently offend some minority.
What Ken said was crass and only because the reporter turned out to be jewish was it offensive but taking it all this far I suggest gets Ken more support than condemnation.

http://xs69.xs.to/pics/06086/phoney7.gif
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 480 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 06:31 pm
I find it interesting that the elected mayor can be suspended by a panel that never stood for election.
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 06:49 pm
Freedom of speech.

Laughing
0 Replies