Saudi Oil Site Reportedly Attacked

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 09:10 am
Quote:
Saudi security forces have thwarted an attempted suicide attack at an oil processing facility in eastern Saudi Arabia, Saudi security sources told CNN.

Three cars carrying an unknown number of would-be suicide bombers fired on security guards at the outer perimeter of the Abqaiq plant, killing three guards and wounding 10 others, Saudi security consultant Nawaf Obaid told CNN.

Saudi emergency forces at a second security perimeter fired on the vehicles, causing two cars to detonate before they could enter the facility, he said.

It was not clear what happened to the third car, although officials said none of the cars entered the facility.

All of the would-be attackers were killed, according to Obaid and a senior Saudi security official.

Obaid said the incident happened about a mile (1.5 km) from the plant's main entrance.

Al Qaeda has long called for attacks on Saudi oil installations, accusing the country's government of selling oil to the West at cheap prices, The Associated Press said.

The group is run by the Saudi-born Osama bin Laden, who wants to topple the Saudi monarchy and replace it with an Islamic state. The Saudi authorities have said their oil facilities are well protected.

An Al Qaida attack on a Saudi oil refinery? I'm somewhat puzzled....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 692 • Replies: 10
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 09:46 am
Why puzzled?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 09:58 am
There was a bit on one of the late night shows last night about working for Al Qaida. Apparently for every three weeks you work you get one week vacation. Sounds like a pretty damn good deal until you consider the retirement package.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 10:29 am
roger: 'cause I thought that attacking western targets was the current strategy of Al Qaida. I'm puzzled that they would be so radical-islamist as to attack a country that constitutes basically an islamist theocracy.

gus: yeah. No demographic problems there....
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 10:36 am
old europe wrote:
roger: 'cause I thought that attacking western targets was the current strategy of Al Qaida. I'm puzzled that they would be so radical-islamist as to attack a country that constitutes basically an islamist theocracy.

No you've got them wrong there OE. Al Qaeda militants regard the Saudi regime as a Western imposed government which is there to do the bidding of the United States, particularly over oil. They see the Saudi royals and government as totally corrupt and failing the people...allowing the west to exploit the oil and accepting western protection to keep them in power.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 11:02 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
No you've got them wrong there OE. Al Qaeda militants regard the Saudi regime as a Western imposed government which is there to do the bidding of the United States, particularly over oil. They see the Saudi royals and government as totally corrupt and failing the people...allowing the west to exploit the oil and accepting western protection to keep them in power.

Good point, Steve. I can actually quite follow that argument.

On the other hand, the Saudis have done a lot to please the radical islamists (or maybe just themselves, being Wahhabists) - like destroying historical holy sites of Islam, because their interpretation of the Q'ran doesn't allow for revering a building or a site as holy, as it amounts to idoltry!

Here's something about that bit (being largely ignored by the public..)

Quote:
Al-Ahmed, a Saudi scholar and expert on Saudi political affairs, estimates that the majority of Islamic landmarks in Saudi Arabia have already been destroyed. Islamic architecture expert Sami Angawi told media earlier this year that at least 300 historical buildings have been leveled in Mecca and Medina over the past 50 years.

"A telling example is the house where the Prophet Mohammed was born and [another] house he lived in until he was 29 are going to be demolished," Al-Ahmed said. Also destroyed was the 18th -century Ottoman-era Ajyad Fort. "They destroyed it at night. They blew up the hill where the fort was situated to make room for hotels," Al-Ahmed said.

In 2002, the Saudi Embassy released a statement saying the fort was not listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage site and that the Saudi government had called for its "rebuilding by experts in the same traditional way it was first built and at the same location, albeit not on Bulbul Hill."

Other reportedly destroyed sites cited by Al-Ahmed include: the first house in Islam, where the prophet Mohamed held secret meetings with his followers, which was destroyed in the 1980s; the houses of the prophet in Medina, where he lived for the last 10 years of his life; the Al-Fadik mosque in Medina built during Mohammed's life and destroyed in July 2003; and the Ali Al-Oraidi Mosque and Shrine in Medina destroyed in 2004. "It had been in operation for 1,200 years," said Al-Ahmed.

Behind the destruction is the Wahhabist strain of Islam, which seeks to destroy any revered physical structures that clerics believe could lead believers to idolatry, said Al-Ahmed. Real-estate development, especially around Mecca and Medina, which hosts millions of pilgrims every year, is also a major factor.

Religious politics also plays a role. When authorities allegedly destroyed one of the five renowned "Seven Mosques" built by the Prophet Mohammed's daughter and four of his "greatest Companions," Wahhabists were approving. "The mosques are not welcomed by Wahhabis," said Al-Ahmed. "It's partly political. They don't want Shia to go there to pray."

link

That's why I'm kind of puzzled. I wouldn't have thought that Al Qaida attacks a country that basically practizes Wahhabist Islam as a state religion.....
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 11:53 am
well I must admit the whole idea of defending a religion by destroying its holy sites seems crazy to me too. But then they are imo crazy.

My understanding is that the deal between USA and Saudi Arabia was that they would be left alone to impose whatever wacky religious domestic policies they wished, providing they played ball over oil.

I dont think al Qaeda have any problems about destroying historic sites. But they do have a problem that THEY are not controlling the oil industry, and that american troops are in SA to keep it that way. (Oh and they get upset about infidels walking over the holy ground of Mohammed...those bits that they themselves have not destroyed of course)
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 12:55 pm
Well, but THEY (the Wahhabits) are in control of the oil... I can see that they are leading a war against the west, but why then not attack the "infidels walking over the holy ground"? Why attack the very source of money (and influence), the oil refineries? Even if they just don't want the oil being sold to the United States, it doesn't make sense.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 01:52 pm
I admit it doesnt make sense to me either. Perhaps we should ask the Whahhabit in chief dlowan? I'll let you do it, I'm scared.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 02:03 pm
http://cfrterrorism.org/causes/saudiarabia.html

Quote:
When did bin Laden turn against the Saudi royal family?
Bin Laden, a Saudi himself, broke with the Saudi monarchy over the Gulf War and now avidly seeks its overthrow. In 1990, bin Laden approached the Saudi defense minister and volunteered to mobilize veterans of the 1979-89 Afghan jihad against Soviet occupation to defend Saudi Arabia against Iraq. The Saudi government declined his offer, preferring to rely instead on the U.S.-led coalition assembled by President George H. W. Bush. Ever since, bin Laden has resented the presence of "infidel troops" on the holy land where the Prophet Muhammad founded Islam in the seventh century.

Luckily the internet means you don't have to go near that Wahhabbit in chief.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 06:37 pm
Thanks, parados. Sometimes I'm totally out of touch with current events....
0 Replies