Glutton Goldfinches: What are they eating?

Noddy24

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:06 pm
For the last week a flock of goldfinches has been hogging the feeders. They can't all fit on the perches, so some of them are eating sunflower seeds from the ground.

Several dozen other goldfinches are scratching and pecking in grassy areas and in a wooded area that was heavily mulched last year.

What are they eating? Weed seeds? Tiny all-weather insects?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 850 • Replies: 10
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 02:02 pm
More than likely seeds. That's the staple diet of goldfinches.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:26 pm
Today I watched three goldfinches--two male, one female, nibbling at unrendered beef suet.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 01:58 pm
They may be feeding on fallen thistle seeds, one of their favorite foods, or the grass seeds, or any wildflower seeds. I assume the field you're referring to is left wild with the plants left to seed-out. As most birds are oppurtunistic I wouldn't doubt that they would pass up an easy meal of protein-rich insects.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 02:37 pm
Colber--

The grassy area is my all-organic moss, grass and broad-leaved weeds yard.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 03:00 pm
http://www.laspilitas.com/California_birds/Finches/Lesser_Goldfinch/Lesser_Goldfinch.html

This is about a different finch, but the notes at the bottom left may add some possibilities to you list of finch food...

This nursery site is one of my favorites, even though I don't live in that region anymore.

The bird page is a rich treasure..
Bird Page, Las Pilitas nursery website
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 03:31 pm
Osso--

Great links. Thank you.

My oddest feeding bird was a wren taking teeny-tiny nibbles of a cake of rock salt.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 03:52 pm
I looked goldfinches up on google and saw mention of rocksalt in one of the listings..
just tried to grab a link for american goldfinches, which I think are the goldfinches in your area, and lost it in the process of getting it here. The list of items of interest to it was similar if not the same as the lesser goldfinches in California, but it mentioned fly and wasp larvae as well as aphids and caterpillars, if I remember right.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 03:59 pm
Osso--

I have the American Goldfinch, but they are similar.

Last year a number of spiders built webs outside my computer window and eventually produced a number of egg cases. One morning I watched a tufted titmouse perform some incredible acrobatics to harvest them.

The effort involved was considerable. Spider eggs must be very tasty.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 04:02 pm
Wonder if they're salty..
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 04:09 pm
If insect "juice" is like animal blood, those egg cases are very salty. After all, Mama Spider eats nothing but liquids.
0 Replies