cjhsa

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 01:31 pm
Just curious if there are any hunters on A2K? Me, I'm a bird hunter when the rare opportunity presents itself. Since I don't own a hunting dog, this makes it a much more aerobic experience than sitting on a tree stump waiting for a deer to walk by. I hunt partridge, mostly for the experience in the woods as they are extremely hard to get a clean shot at.

I also enjoy fishing. How about you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,393 • Replies: 19
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 01:35 pm
i hunt elk
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 01:38 pm
No, but I used to enjoy shooting before they planted mobile homes on one of my ranges and drove a highway from the backup range.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 01:41 pm
I love hunting but don't ever get the chance to hunt.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 01:47 pm
Trout season opened Saturday in Michigan. Wish I could've been there. The second picture down was taken very close to a cabin I own.

http://record-eagle.com/2003/apr/28trout.htm
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 01:55 pm
Wow - Dys hunts elk. Do you hunt them with rifle or bow & arrow?

Sidenote: One of my Dad's good friends was in turn best friends with Fred Bear. I personally do not bow hunt, but plan to learn someday when I have more time.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 01:56 pm
I won't hunt but I do fish. Gonna spend a lot of time on LI this summer and will probably go fishing a lot (snapper and blues there, depends on the time of year and the water temp).
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 02:12 pm
i hunt with the same winchester 30/30 that i have have for 40 years. i fish (trout) using ultralight gear and 2 lb line. 4 lb line if fishing for German Browns.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 02:19 pm
I like to fish the small streams for brook trout, using 2-lb leader and a gob of worms. Amazing when a small rainbow hits - they fight much harder than the brookies.

Almost impossible to fish the river in the picture above using bait or lure. Too many snags. I need to work on my fly fishing skills.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 02:21 pm
dys: Is it still all catch and release in CO?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 02:34 pm
most of colorado stream fishing is catch/release with some areas a 3 fish limit for keepers. i tend to fish the very high mountain streams that are mostly Brookie, Rainbow and Cut Throat. i use a 2 1/2 ounce 6 1/2' graphite rod with a Mitchell ultralite reel.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 02:58 pm
The rules for fishing in Michigan are so complicated that not even the DNR folks understand them. The Manistee river that I fish is divided into several different sections, some are fly only, catch and release, other sections are mixed use, and each section has its own size limits.

You have to be careful when you fish the streams like I do, because the size limits for keepers are smaller than the river. But most of the streams flow into the river...you get my point. I don't know how you define the difference, except for direction of water flow, if you are fishing at the mouth of the stream, for example.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 03:06 pm
The mercury and other heavy metals level is so high here in Illinois there is a complicated map which shows where fish caught "are not recommended to be consumed by small children or pregnant women".

Now, I ask you, who wants to eat something that shouldn't be given to small children or pregnant women?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 04:04 pm
Same thing's true for Lake Michigan - they are actually studying the people who eat lots of lake fish. The trout rivers and streams are pretty clean though.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 05:49 pm
cjhsa - In your opening you mentioned partridge hunting. Can I ask what species a partridge is in MI? lol When I lived in ME a partridge was a Ruffed Grouse. In OK a partridge was a Quail. IN some areas it's a ptarmigin (sp?). It just seems like every part of the country has "partridge" in them but they are all hunting different birds.

Oh, btw, I hunt (upland birds and deer) and well as fresh water fish - mostly brown trout. Ultralight spinning gear early in the season and then I move over to a fly rod with dry flys as the water temps go up.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 09:32 am
Wouldnt mind hunting but, would rather fish. Havent fished in years.
Glad to see Im not the only gal around who enjoys it as well. Jes-maybe we could meet half way-I know a few good spots in CT Wink
Of course after seeing all the news above regarding the fish/fishing I guess Id have to do some research and catch up on that actually before heading out.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 09:39 am
Cool - would go fishing with ya. 'Course I pretty much stink at it, but then again I grew up with Dad chumming the water with leftover herring.

Him: "It's fish! They'll love it!"
Me: "It's pickled."
Him: "So, what's not to love?" etc.

But I can sit and drink beer in a boat and/or on the shore. :-D
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 09:42 am
I think sitting is a big part of it all Smile

<pickled herring..ROTFLMAO>
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 10:04 am
Partridge == Ruffed Grouse

ppppppppfffffffffffbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

Boom! Boom! "Dammit! @#$%"
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 10:03 pm
I hunt.....love it, grew up doing it. Deer, Rabbit, Squirrell... Its my piece and quiet time. Even though I only deer hunt now.. Gather up my novel, my blanket and my gun, and head off to my "condo", to spend the day reading and watching wildlife...have encountered a Mt. Lion, Bobcats, Coyotes, and have been scared to death by a bear! But all in all, its addicting...just waiting to see what comes out next.
0 Replies