I have never been so unsurprised

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 11:57 am
Iran offers Hamas financial aid

Imagine that. A country that has vowed to exterminate Israel has decided to fund an organization that does has the destruction of Israel as one of it's main goals... shocked I tell ya!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 824 • Replies: 15
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 11:59 am
yeah pretty amazin, the US demands the palestinians have free elections and then withdraw support because we don't like who they elected. Big Surprise.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 12:02 pm
What would you like to see happen there, McG? The PA is broke (no matter who is running it) and the people there need services and infrastructure. Israel is witholding PA tax revenues and the US is witholding aid. What do you think is likely to happen next if nobody else steps in?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 12:05 pm
Iraq is next.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 12:05 pm
So Dys, we are supposed to support them because they were elected? Nonsense. Free elctions = good. Hamas = bad.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 12:12 pm
McGentrix wrote:
So Dys, we are supposed to support them because they were elected? Nonsense. Free elctions = good. Hamas = bad.

I think we should continue to let them kill each other and we should mind our own business.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 12:15 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
What would you like to see happen there, McG?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 12:26 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
What would you like to see happen there, McG?

Hamas is the elected government. They get their act together and do whatever is they are going to do.

I just don't want my tax money being spent to support a government made up of self admitted terrorists who has a stated goal that Israel should not exist.

Perhaps Hamas will become just another corrupt governing body like so many in the region, who knows. The people made their choice and now they will live or die by it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 12:32 pm
And their tax revenues that Israel collected? Are they not entitled to those?

My thoughts are that Hamas could possibly evolve into something more reasonable. But not if we choke them off from the get go. Then they become just another impotent palestinian government. The people again see no hope and the violence begins again. At some point, we have to meet them where they are. Especially when, as in Palestine, there are no alternatives.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 12:35 pm
Well, not to worry, McG. It doesn't look like your tax money is going there. And, of course, it's no surprise that Iran is supporting Hamas. No surprise at all.

As for your math ("Free elctions = good. Hamas = bad."), it makes no sense, but it does correlate well with the current US policy of promoting democracy then squirming when people we don't like are elected...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 12:35 pm
McGentrix wrote:

There is a mathematical problem here since Free elections = Hamas.

... or are you saying good = bad?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 03:06 am
The main problem with us aid is that it is almost never "humanitarian" they always want something in return.

Hamas wont give any assurances, sign treaties, doesnt have oil, is too small a market, and wont be told how to conduct itself etc etc. They have nothing to offer the US.
and recognise The US administration for the diplomatic double dealers they really are.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 03:15 am
dyslexia wrote:
Iraq is next.

My thinking exactly. You beat me to it!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:09 am
Well, let me see if I get this chain of events right:

1. Choke off their funds so that they remain in poverty.
2. Poverty leads to terrorism.
3. Terrorism leads to greater restrictions.

Perfect!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 06:08 am
DrewDad wrote:
Well, let me see if I get this chain of events right:

1. Choke off their funds so that they remain in poverty.
2. Poverty leads to terrorism.
3. Terrorism leads to greater restrictions.

Perfect!

No, no, no, DrewDad!

Choke of their funds till they succumb to even greater poverty & desperation. Then they'll cave in (just like that!) to whatever the US wants. Simple!

(sadly, I suspect that this is exactly how the thinking (?) goes. Not exactly deep or enlightened, is it? Sad )
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 06:32 am
woiyo wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

I think we should continue to let them kill each other and we should mind our own business.

as we should have done with Iraq.
0 Replies