Russia selling missiles to Iran

Zippo

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 10:24 am
Russia made an ominous announcement last week in light of the George W. Bush administration's stance on Iran. Amid talk of U.N. sanctions and possible attacks on Iran, Russia said it will arm Tehran with missiles to protect Iran's nuclear facilities from attack.

India Times reported Mikhail Dmitriyev, head of Russia's military-technical cooperation agency, said: "We concluded a contract for the supply of air defense systems to Iran, and there is no reason not to fulfill it."

The contract, valued at an estimated $700 million, would provide Iran with up to 30 Tor M-1 surface-to-air missiles. It is the largest transaction since 2000 when Russia pulled out of an agreement with the U.S. limiting the supply of military hardware to Iran.

Dmitriyev, the newspaper said, brushed aside media claims that talks were in progress for an additional number of heavier S-300 defense missiles.

Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov has emphasized that the Tor is a defensive weapon and that the sale is not violating Russia's international obligations. The Tor is effective against aircraft, cruise missiles and guided bombs. He gave no indication of when the missiles would be delivered to Iran.

They are expected to be put in place at the nuclear research center at Isfahan and the reactor the Russians are building at the southern port of Bushehr.

Dmitriyev said Russia's total export of arms in 2005 amounted to a record $6.1 billion. The target for this year is $7 billion, he said. The chief customers for Russian arms are China and India.

From the Feb. 15-21, 2006, issue

http://www.rockrivertimes.com/index.pl?cmd=viewstory&cat=2&id=12452

More News :
Experts: China, Russia won't help on Iran

I was right, its not going to be as "easy peasy lemon squeezy" as OCCOM BILL made it out.

However, If you're in the bodybag business, you're going to do well.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,025 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 11:29 am
Re: Russia selling missiles to Iran
Zippo wrote:

...I was right, its not going to be as "easy peasy lemon squeezy" as OCCOM BILL made it out.

However, If you're in the bodybag business, you're going to do well.

And, of course, it's foolish to do anything that's difficult.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 12:02 pm
Brandon9000
Quote:
And, of course, it's foolish to do anything that's difficult.

Yes Brandon, and its called "nuclear diplomacy"
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 12:16 pm
Sure seems like a lot of expensive hardware, just to protect a peacefull power generating facility in a country that is awash in oil, anyway.
0 Replies

paull

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 08:02 pm
Bodybags? I wouldn't go long on them as the US has plenty. We still have all the bags that Ted Kennedy said would be needed during the first gulf war.

As for AA missles, Russia has been doing a good job of supplying losers recently (Russian advisors were in Baghdad until the eve of the 2003 US invasion and victory). Unless they have reinvented the wheel (notice I give them credit for having the wheel) any air action against Iran would be the usual cakewalk for the US. Also, careful reading of the article shows that we are talking about 30 missles anyway, and at 23 million each, they seemingly cost as much as the airplanes they are designed to shoot down!
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 07:39 pm
paull wrote:
Bodybags? I wouldn't go long on them as the US has plenty. We still have all the bags that Ted Kennedy said would be needed during the first gulf war.

As for AA missles, Russia has been doing a good job of supplying losers recently (Russian advisors were in Baghdad until the eve of the 2003 US invasion and victory). Unless they have reinvented the wheel (notice I give them credit for having the wheel) any air action against Iran would be the usual cakewalk for the US. Also, careful reading of the article shows that we are talking about 30 missles anyway, and at 23 million each, they seemingly cost as much as the airplanes they are designed to shoot down!

Dropping bombs from planes is just so much fun!!

its just when you land on the ground and the loonies tear you a new ass h.le it becomes a bit 'touch and go' but what the hell!!

USA!
USA!
*cough*
USA!

where the f** is I-ran any how?? is it next to Canada? Laughing
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 02:07 am
Zippo wrote:
I was right, its not going to be as "easy peasy lemon squeezy" as OCCOM BILL made it out.

The missiles won't be a problem if someone (Israel perhaps) strikes before they are installed.

And I don't think they would pose much of a risk to a flock of B2 bombers.

I'd bet that when we get those "conventional" sea-launched ballistic missiles, those warheads would also be going too fast for the missiles.
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 04:28 pm
oralloy wrote:
Zippo wrote:

The missiles won't be a problem if someone (Israel perhaps) strikes before they are installed.

And I don't think they would pose much of a risk to a flock of B2 bombers.

I'd bet that when we get those "conventional" sea-launched ballistic missiles, those warheads would also be going too fast for the missiles.

yet again an Israeli 'amercan' drooling at prospect of murder and carnage how 'surprsing.'

What does the word incitement mean?
And why is it that its only american kids that seem to die for Israels foreign policy objectives??
Are we to assume all Israelis crave for US to be entangled in another bloody mess or just some of them?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:53 pm
oralloy wrote:

http://www.atk.com/AdvancedWeaponSystems/advanceweaponsystems_globalstrike.asp

Very Happy
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:55 pm
stevewonder wrote:
yet again an Israeli 'amercan' drooling at prospect of murder and carnage how 'surprsing.'

I'm hardly an Israeli, though I consider myself a friend to Israel.
0 Replies