Devolution? How?

Chumly

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 11:24 pm
Since it appears that there are a number of religionists more than willing to dismiss evolution in favor of faith based beliefs, how do those self same believers grasp the Big D?

Neo may answer as well, but no humor is permitted.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,316 • Replies: 56
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 11:45 pm
Chumly,

I had to look devolution up and I still am not quite sure what you are talking about. Can you elaborate a bit for me, please?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 11:59 pm
Interpretation: We did not evolve up from matter; instead we devolved, or came down, from the realm of pure consciousness, spirit.

Interpretation: Living creatures may go from a state of more fit to less fit, do those who dismiss evolution also dismiss this?

I'm also kind'a poking fun at the thread "Evolution? How?'

Three for the price of one!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 12:01 am
Oh, I see. So we are talking about evolution in reverse? Gotta think on this one. :wink:
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 01:19 am
One cause of devolution, otherwise known as retrograde evolution, was pretty well described by me here:
http://able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1825388#1825388
Keep in mind that it was intended as a word of caution and not directed at any particular individual.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 01:26 am
Speaking of Devolution ... has anyone seen the Super Mario Bros. Movie with Bob Hoskins ??

Anon
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 01:29 am
Ruinous buffoons all!

You'll be repentant when this thread is taken in the true light of its author's somber intentions.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 01:35 am
Chumly wrote:
Ruinous buffoons all!

You'll be repentant when this thread is taken in the true light of its author's somber intentions.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0108255/
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 08:04 am
Chumly wrote:
Ruinous buffoons all! . . .
Help!

We've devolved into base bigots of bondage and barbarity.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 08:29 am
The devolution will not be televised.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 08:50 am
Chumly wrote:

Living creatures may go from a state of more fit to less fit......

Are you asking if the law of entropy is valid?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 10:08 am
No, he is inferentially asking if religionists have a sense of humor (sneering at people with playground jibes does not count)--in your case, the answer appears to be no.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 01:57 pm
real life wrote:
Chumly wrote:

Living creatures may go from a state of more fit to less fit......

Are you asking if the law of entropy is valid?
I'm not asking for information about the likelihood of entropy from a scientific perspective, I am asking if you (for example) eschew evolution in favor of a faith based belief, do you then apply the same conventions to devolution?

I would not go as far as to consider devolution as entropy (but you could if you wish make your points on that basis) but only that evolution (survival of the fittest) may go in reverse at times. I would maintain that entropy (the heat death of the universe) would take place pretty much equally during both evolution and devolution.

And yes I did suggest a humor element as the third point in my first post, but the question still has some merit, humor aside, because devolution can be argued to be a biological force (guided or not as you may argue).
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 02:25 pm
Chumly wrote-

Quote:
but only that evolution (survival of the fittest) may go in reverse at times.

It always does when nepotism rears its head.Any attempt to exploit family connections to favour offspring is self-evidently anti-evolution.

You don't see nepotism in sport where achievement is objectively measured and it is totally banned in the Roman Catholic Church and in the military to a fair extent which was not always the case.

Pro evolutionists who seek to promote their own offspring in direct contravention to the law of the survival of the fittest are a joke.

The decline of a culture is in direct proportion to the amount of nepotism it allows to flourish.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 02:30 pm
If faith based believers (such as Christians) ascribe evolution to god (or eschew evolution in it's entirety), would it then be fair to say that those self same believers would ascribe devolution to the devil?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 02:37 pm
spendius wrote:
Pro evolutionists who seek to promote their own offspring in direct contravention to the law of the survival of the fittest are a joke.
Are you suggesting that if one favors the precepts of evolution, one's kids should be placed for adoption in the slums of New York, but that of one favors the precepts of devolution, one's kids should be kept and given all the advantages possible?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 03:13 pm
Chum-

No.I'm not suggesting anything.I was merely explaining one of the principles of decline.

In an absurdity reduction imagine all the players in the winning Superbowl team being able to get their sons into the team in 20 years by exploitation of their contacts.Where would that team be in the league in 20 years.Little would be lost or gained competitively if all the teams did the same.Does China allow the same levels of nepotism as the US?

I think you will find if you study education policy over the last 100 years that great,and often unpopular,efforts have been made to eradicate nepotism but nepotism is so potent a force that these have been expertly countered although some progress has been made.

The latest battle on the issue is up for debate and vote shortly in our Parliament and both sides are pretty steamed up.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 03:35 pm
spendius wrote:
Chum-

No.I'm not suggesting anything.I was merely explaining one of the principles of decline.
I knew what you were getting at, but I am still disappointed in not hearing your justifications for putting kids in slums Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 04:31 pm
Chum-

Why choose slums although I do see your point.The boxer fighting his way out of the ghetto idea.

But you have missed my point I think.It concerns the maximising of the nation's human resources.The level playing field is just as good to get the cream to the top which is a process blunted by nepotism.

The handing over of children to professionals is a long drawn out process.Already there are children here going to pre-school schools,nurseries proliferate and abortions can be obtained for schoolgirls without the parents knowing a thing about it.The direction is plain to see and in a competitive world nations that fail to tackle effectively the nepotism problem will inevitably go into relative decline.Basically it is an institutionalised and widespread form of postive discrimination.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 04:41 pm
Quote:
Crack that whip
Give the past the slip
Step on a crack
Break your momma's back

When a problem comes along
You must whip it
Before the cream sits out too long
You must whip it