The End of Dollar Hegemony

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:32 am
http://www.hawaiireporter.com/images/flame-small.gif

Quote:
The End of Dollar Hegemony

By Congressman Ron Paul, 2/16/2006source

In 2002, most journalists did not see what was behind the accusations that Iraq had WMDs. Today, most people do not know what is behind the accusations that Iran has plans for nuclear weapons.

Iran's threat is not nuclear, but far more dangerous to the US. If Iran can open its upcoming euro-based Oil Bourse in Tehran on March 20th 2006, Iran will threaten the US dollar.

Read More :
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,681 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Zippo

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:51 pm
Quote:
Most Americans forget how our policies have systematically and needlessly antagonized the Iranians over the years. In 1953 the CIA helped overthrow a democratically elected president, Mohammed Mossadeqh, and install the authoritarian Shah, who was friendly to the U.S. The Iranians were still fuming over this when the hostages were seized in 1979. Our alliance with Saddam Hussein in his invasion of Iran in the early 1980s did not help matters, and obviously did not do much for our relationship with Saddam Hussein. The administration announcement in 2001 that Iran was part of the axis of evil didn’t do much to improve the diplomatic relationship between our two countries. Recent threats over nuclear power, while ignoring the fact that they are surrounded by countries with nuclear weapons, doesn’t seem to register with those who continue to provoke Iran. With what most Muslims perceive as our war against Islam, and this recent history, there’s little wonder why Iran might choose to harm America by undermining the dollar. Iran, like Iraq, has zero capability to attack us. But that didn’t stop us from turning Saddam Hussein into a modern day Hitler ready to take over the world. Now Iran, especially since she’s made plans for pricing oil in Euros, has been on the receiving end of a propaganda war not unlike that waged against Iraq before our invasion.

Excellent article...
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 02:06 pm
I'll shorten the article for you.

Globalization suggests no one country/currency will have premier dominance.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 03:08 pm
Chumly wrote:
I'll shorten the article for you.

Globalization suggests no one country/currency will have premier dominance.

Exactly, and based on that, the Euro should also replace the Dollar.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 10:58 pm
I would be pleased to see the dissolution of the US Canadian border and a common currency for example.

It seems we are globally heading towards more economic interdependency and integration. I see this as a good thing on average over time.

Although I must admit a world government might be a rather top heavy, bureaucratically bloated, easily corruptible affair. Perhaps even more so than some present governments, so I would suggest an decentralized internet driven affair.

Vote for your chum: Chumly!
0 Replies

11Bravo

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:17 pm
This globalism is about diluting the middle class
The dilution of the middle class, via globalism and the possibility that the dollar will be re-evaluated in the near future when Iran starts selling oil on the world market in Tehran will be the rude awakening the country needs.

The middle class has enough problems keeping up now...
0 Replies