Toxic Toads Down Under

cjhsa

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 10:22 am
Toxic toads 'threaten disaster'
By Rebecca Morelle
BBC News science reporter

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4716252.stm

Cane toads can move up to 1.8km in one night
The toxic cane toad in Australia is evolving into an "eco-nightmare" capable of covering huge distances, a study in the journal Nature reports.

Scientists say the species Bufo marinus is developing a leggier, faster-moving form that is now hopping out rapidly across the continent.

The toads were introduced 70 years ago to control pests, but have since wrought havoc on indigenous animals.

They kill snakes, lizards, water birds - even crocodiles and dingos.

When harassed they secrete poison carried in two sacs behind the head which is lethal to a potential predator within minutes of being ingested.

Big wave

The amphibians, which can weigh up to 2kg, are now found in an area covering over a million sq km.

They were first introduced to Queensland from South America in 1935, in an attempt to wipe out cane beetles, a pest that was destroying sugar crops in north-east Australia at the time.

Since then, the toads have been sweeping through Australia leaving a trail of dead creatures in their wake.

How to control them is the $64m question

Dr Ben Phillips, University of Sydney
To investigate their worrying spread, scientists looked at cane toads invading the Northern Territory of Australia, at a site about 60km east of Darwin.

They caught the toads, measured them, and also attached a radio-transmitter, weighing about 5-6g, around their waist to track their movements.

"During an invasion process the individuals at the front are there because they have moved the furthest," explained Dr Ben Phillips, an author on the paper and an evolutionary biologist at the University of Sydney, Australia.

"We showed that the toads that are the first to arrive at the front are the ones with the longest legs, and the ones last to arrive have shorter legs.

"The front toads also have much longer legs than the older populations in Queensland."

Darwin's edge

They discovered that the toads were moving incredibly quickly, covering distances about five times faster than when they arrived 70 years ago.

"They are moving around 55km a year on average, which is a long way to hop if you are a toad," said Dr Phillips.

The researchers believe their findings indicate evolution is favouring longer-legged toads which can travel further, quicker, meaning they can encroach on new territories faster than ever before.

The scientists say the toads are causing an "ecological nightmare".

So far, researchers have been unable to find a successful way of controlling the ever-spreading invaders, which are now on the cusp of invading Darwin.

"How to control them is the $64m question," said Dr Phillips.

"A lot of time and money has been spent researching how to control toads, but it is an ongoing problem."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,211 • Replies: 27
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 10:36 am
"How to control them is the $64M question".

Geesh, just give a bunch of kids a pump BB gun and let them use the toads for target practice.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 02:27 pm
That's odd, I always thought the bastids did their serious travelling by hitch hiking in trucks and stuff.

And, it DOES seem odd that we can happily destroy species after species of desired and non exotic fauna, but the weeds of life go nuts.

People DO kill them ... not with guns, of course, in the suburbs, but by catching and freezing them....which is the most humane and effective.

They are in Kakadu, now, so god help us.

Not only do they out compete native frogs and toads, they poison predators.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 02:48 pm
when I lived in Cairns QLD they were everywhere at night...I always wondered why there were hardly any cats about when I first got there, and what a pain having to scoop the dead one's out of the pool everyday
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 03:01 pm
We saw the campiest, most hilarious film in Biology re cane toads.

I think they may take over the world. They kill everything that bites them.

The film showed crocs, snakes and other creatures, lying there dead, with a dead cane toad half in their mouths.

It showed enraged Aussies, driving irratically, smashing them in the road. The interviews were so funny.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 03:05 pm
Freezing them is the most humane way.... now I've heard everything!

Geesh!

Sounds to me like someone's been eating too many frog's legs.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 03:26 pm
Lash wrote:

The film showed crocs, snakes and other creatures, lying there dead, with a dead cane toad half in their mouths.

It showed enraged Aussies, driving irratically, smashing them in the road. The interviews were so funny.

The one with the little girl who played with and cuddled them like dolls?

That is, indeed, a hilarious film.

There was an even funnier one, of the same ilk, on ball room dancing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 03:31 pm
KiwiChic wrote:
when I lived in Cairns QLD they were everywhere at night...I always wondered why there were hardly any cats about when I first got there, and what a pain having to scoop the dead one's out of the pool everyday

My ex is a Brisbanite.

He says that you hardly see them there, now, and has a theory that the worst of the problem happens when they are colonizing a new area, at the peak of the spreading wave, as it were, and that their numbers become smaller where the wave has passed.

I have no idea if that has any basis in reality, but there certainly were no visible toads at any time that I visited him.

Of course, Queensland has been in the grip of drought, so that is the more likely reason, I guess...
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 07:16 pm
some birds (crows?) have learned to flip them over and rip open the belly. i saw that on a Tv proram some years ago so not really sure if its correct.

A prefered method of dispatch is a golf club.
playing the back 90000 holes at kakadu could proove problematic, but has potential as an interesting tourism venture.

Cane toad leather has been touted. Dont think a cane toad leather handbag has much marketing appeal.

Some report the poison has a halucinatory effect.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 07:35 pm
Hmmm...crows are so smart I wouldn't put it past them.

One assumes the belly is free of the poison glands?

They (the crows) eat rotting carrion, so I guess cane toad would taste fine.

Go the crows!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 09:31 pm
Isn't there anything in that country that isn't poisonous?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 09:47 pm
dlowan wrote:
Lash wrote:

The one with the little girl who played with and cuddled them like dolls?

That is, indeed, a hilarious film.

There was an even funnier one, of the same ilk, on ball room dancing.

Yes. Lorne Michaels couldn't have written better material.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 09:49 pm
some things aint poisonous .............the things that arnt poisonous bite though....... thats why they call OZ "the lucky country".......... cause your lucky to surive.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 10:20 pm
So ... a horrendous product of evolution is at the cusp of invading Darwin ...

<frowns>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 10:30 pm
Nah. Cane toads are just fine where they belong.

THEY WERE INTRODUCED!!!!

To control the cane beetle, which they eat happily in their native lands, but have steadfastly ignored in their new home.

I am NOT poisonous, Roger.

You're just being an ass.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 10:32 pm
Are you sure?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 10:36 pm
Of course.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 10:38 pm
Don't you see that everything the two of you ever wanted is right in front of you????

~~Kramer to Jerry and Elaine...episode 88376
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 02:31 am
Crocodiles aren't poisonous. Lucky us.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:21 am
dlowan wrote:
Nah. Cane toads are just fine where they belong.

THEY WERE INTRODUCED!!!!

To control the cane beetle, which they eat happily in their native lands, but have steadfastly ignored in their new home.

Yes, but <he patiently explains his joke to dlowan this time>, the article says,

"The researchers believe their findings indicate evolution is favouring longer-legged toads which can travel further, quicker, meaning they can encroach on new territories faster than ever before. The scientists say the toads are causing an "ecological nightmare."

Eg, since they were introduced they've been evolving, in a way that makes them ever more harmful ... up to the current point where they...

"are now on the cusp of invading [the town of] Darwin".

That is just too funny Razz
0 Replies