Australia: Country or Continent?

hingehead

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 02:29 am
Kiribati is pronounced Kiribus because it was once known as the Gilberts (or Gilbert Islands) and that't the way the inhabitants pronounced the old name.

THe Gilberts were part of the Gilbert and Ellice Islands - but the Ellice Islanders went for Tuvalu as their new name when escaping the yoke of British imperialism.
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 02:39 am
Unless they're women, in which case they're called Filipinas.
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 02:40 am
And I can't get this out of my mind. And it was on the first page. If Australia is the second driest continent (and my god it's all desert), what's the first?
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 05:39 am
First, thank you, Francis. There must have been some cross-pollination between the languages and the spelling.

Um, I'd have to look it up but I think the driest is Antarctica.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 07:04 am
I don't have to look it up and Joe is right.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 08:35 am
username wrote:
And I can't get this out of my mind. And it was on the first page. If Australia is the second driest continent (and my god it's all desert), what's the first?

Antartica is the driest.

Which, by the way, is that considered a country/continent also.
0 Replies

mans

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 11:01 pm
i thought it (Antarctica) wasn't a country - no one really lives there. the people who do actually do not have full-time inhabitation of it.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 11:52 pm
The antartic is not a country but it is a continent. There is a big chunk of rock under all that ice after all.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 06:21 am
Think of it, Antarctica, as Australia with frosting.

Antarctica is such an odd word. Shouldn't it be Anti-arctic? And isn't it sad that they couldn't have thought of a whole new word for it, instead of just naming it essentially, the other end?

And what about the word arctic?

What's that 'c' doing in there between the 'r' and the 't'? I have lost Scrabble games due to that 'c' escaping my memory. You say it in English, or good old America, 'R-tick', there is no ARK about it. And who added the 'tica' to Ant (no 'i') Arctic. We have the arctic, but down in the South we must have the arctia. Suave.

Joe(itinerant word sleuth)Nation
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 06:25 am
I say both with a perfectly audible "c".

You Amerians are jus laz.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 06:37 am
Yes, I forgot Australia is known the world over for proper pronunciation and diction.

Joe(one of it's many major exports)Nation
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 06:37 am
Missing somethiong, Joe?

etymology wrote:
Arctic
c.1391, artik, from O.Fr. artique, from M.L. articus, from L. arcticus, from Gk. arktikos "of the north," lit. "of the (constellation) Bear," from arktos "bear," the Bear being a northerly constellation. From the usual I.E. base for "bear" (cf. Avestan aresho, Arm. arj, Alb. ari, L. ursus, Welsh arth); see bear (n.) for why the name changed in Gmc. The -c- was restored 1556. Arctic Circle (66 degrees 32 minutes north), first attested 1556, is that inside which the Great Bear never sets.

etymology wrote:
Antarctic
1366, antartyk, from O.Fr. antartique, from M.L. antarcticus, from Gk. antarktikos "opposite the north," from anti- "opposite" + arktikos "arctic" (see Arctic). The first -c- sound ceased to be pronounced in M.L. and was dropped in O.Fr. Modern spelling, which restores it, dates from 1601.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 06:42 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Yes, I forgot Australia is known the world over for proper pronunciation and diction.

Joe(one of it's many major exports)Nation

My diction is very fine indeed, Mr Nation.

Knock it not unless you have heard it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 06:55 am
I'm sure that yours is, but getting back to Kicky's question, do you think that we should continue the fiction that Australia is a continent? It been confusing school children for years.

Why not just a sub-continent of Asia as India/Pakistan are?

Joe(maybe you wouldn't feel so islolated)Nation
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 07:18 am
We ARE a continent.

We aren't attached to some other mess of land, like a namby pamby kid.

What is so hard about a country and a continent, anyway?

Wusses.

Anyhoo, wot's that yer saying?

Yer an Aussie?

Well, get your arse right back here then!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 07:46 am
It's an island. Just like the rest of the islands in the Malay/Indonesian archipelago, just the biggest one that's all, and the only one which had the very good fortune to be settled first by the British rather than the Dutch or the Portuguese. Or the Chinese for that matter, they were sailing around the Great Barrier Reef in the 1400's well before anyone else.

No, sadly I am not an Aussie, I didn't mean to give that impression. (Sometimes my parenthetical remarks are more obtuse than I think.)
Though, on two separate occasions in my life, the first after seeing a film about a man from Alice Springs, the second after a footballer from somewhere down under came to play for the Tulsa (Oklahoma) Roughnecks Soccer Team, I spoke with an Australian accent for almost two months.

'Ere 'ave sum pie 'n chips then, right?)

Joe(thankfully, someone beat it out of me)Nation
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 01:27 am
North and south america is an island eurasia/africa is an island. Antarctica is an island. And australia is an island.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent for a rather interesting discussion. Pay particular note to the table that lists the 7, 6, 5 & 4 continent models - in which Australia is listed as a continent in each....
0 Replies

anton

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 07:52 am
Re: Australia: Country or Continent?
kickycan wrote:
Frickin' Australia. How the hell does it get to have the distinction of being a country AND a goddammed continent? What a bunch of ****. Are these people self-important, or what?

I say, country or continent, you pick. But you can't be both, you Aussie bastids!!!

The Country of Australia is an Island Continent about the same size as the US with a population of only twenty million souls.

kickycan your ignorance is showing: "I say, country or continent, you pick. But you can't be both, you Aussie bastids!!!"… didn't you attend school, or is it just a case of, "ignorance being bliss?"
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 07:59 am
pssssst, anton, kickykan is just like that! He means no harm, honest!

Greetings from Melbourne & welcome to A2K! Enjoy! Very Happy
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 07:55 am
It's the world's largest island, and the only country in the world that completely spans the continent on which it is situated. Now who's confused?
0 Replies