Scientists Discover New Assassin Spiders

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 07:40 pm
Scientists Discover New Assassin Spiders

By ALICIA CHANG, AP Science Writer Sun Feb 12, 4:01 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - Researchers scouring the remote forests of the African island nation of Madagascar have found that tiny assassin spiders, grotesque-looking bugs that prey on other spiders, are more diverse than previously thought.

The newly discovered species could shed light on how assassin spiders evolved, and perhaps point scientists to other places in Madagascar where other types could be located.

Scientists from the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco and researchers in Madagascar caught more than a million bugs, including the nine new species of assassin spiders, during a four-year expedition through the island's rain and deciduous forests.

The bizarre-looking assassin spiders were once widely found around the world, but now are found in Madagascar, Australia and South Africa. About a dozen species of assassin spiders were previously discovered.

Assassin spiders, which grow to less than an eighth of an inch long, are notorious for stabbing helpless spiders with their sharp, venom-filled fangs attached to their super-sized jaws. Assassin spiders also possess very long necks so they can attack their prey from a distance.

They do not spin webs to entrap their prey and they pose no threat to humans, said Charles Griswold, a curator at the academy.

Some assassin spiders will be shipped to a museum in Madagascar and others will be preserved for future study, Griswold said.

The research was partly funded by the
National Science Foundation.

___
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 648 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Letty

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 05:47 am
Hey, Boston Bob, I saw that news item. Why in the world would anyone want to observe those narsty little bugs?

http://troyb.com/photo/images/photos/00006729.jpg
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 11:48 am
I remember when I was a kid and didn't have a lick of sense I picked a spider off a web and wouldn't let it go. It walked back and forth across my hands trying to get away and finally exasperated, bit me. I picked it up by the thorax and gently placed it back on its web. Since that time no spider (and many have journeyed across me) has bitten me. I regard them now as friends who do in lots of insects that I'd just as soon not have around.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 12:01 pm
So did Robert the Bruce. Razz
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 12:42 pm
I haven't found many who share my enthusiasm. I did find one in Sweden once on a visit to Nina when she lived there. The girls had a full day planned for shopping (blechhhh!). So I used the day instead to do a walkabout of Stockholm. I happened upon an aquarium with a unique entrance. There was a waterfall cascading across the entrance. After seeing the fish and attendant birds and water related animals I stopped to see the gift shop near the exit. Underneath a glass cover at the cashier's post was a tarantula. I remarked on it to the woman there upon which she lifted the glass and picked up the tarantula. It walked placidly back and forth from one hand to the other. I asked if the poison sacs had been removed. She stated they hadn't but it was very unlikely to bite. I was impressed.
0 Replies