Poverty

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 08:48 am
By Paul Andrew Bourne

All modern societies are driven by a materialistic system through which perspectives, advancement and power are measured, and these determine ones socio-cultural space within the general society. It is through the processes of this system, that one is fed an individualistic diet, to which competitiveness is the hallmark. This guides the structure to which many people are cohered into poverty irrespective of their efforts. The structure is such that money substantially is germane to choices and regular decision-making. In all facet of people's existence, despite the degree of non-materialistic resources that they bring to the social space, money determines success. It is clear from the functioning of the structure that individualism, in the process, harms, hurts and destroys some people; but the perceived benefits of the structure tarnish a welfare type person who is continuously looking out for injustice, inequalities and unfairness in the structure. It is materialism that drives the allocation and distribution of resources. This paper, therefore, discusses the socio-environmental context of poverty and how this influences the lives of Jamaicans.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,229 • Replies: 21
No top replies

material girl

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:40 am
Youd get more posts if you used normal words.
0 Replies

paul andrew bourne

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 06:08 pm
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 07:55 pm
Re: Poverty
paul andrew bourne wrote:
All modern societies are driven by a materialistic system through which perspectives, advancement and power are measured, and these determine ones socio-cultural space within the general society. It is through the processes of this system, that one is fed an individualistic diet, to which competitiveness is the hallmark. This guides the structure to which many people are cohered into poverty irrespective of their efforts.
people who are responsible.

If you want to do justice to the "socio" part of your "socio-environmenal" account, start by looking at human interactions. I hope your paper will discuss specific things that people are doing and to whom they are doing it. I hope you will cite numbers, figures and statistics, as well as give real-life examples of human interaction. That is where society begins. Anything less than that is abstract theorizing without explaining anything.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 11:40 pm
You are demonizing economic principles with motives. It is not so much economic principles as business practices and government acquiesence that enables unscrupulous greedy business tycoons for the evil.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 11:55 pm
P A Bourne, Shapeless and talk72000 make excellent points.

What is the purpose of your paper? Where are you going and what is the theme?

Are the evils of capitalism worse now than they were forty years ago?

Is the gap between pay scales for CEO's and the lowest laborer an indicator of greed, talk72000's idea of government acquiesence, or the diminishing power of the middle class? I need concrete examples in order to understand what you are saying in your paper.

Are you posting your paper here for criticism or are you simply making a statement?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 12:27 am
Diane,

We are not the only ones afflicted.

Paul Andrew Bourne, MSc. (candidates), BSc. (Hons). , Dip. Edu.7 F Cambridge Street ,Franklin Town Kingston 16 Jamaica has worked out that he can become "Google Famous" by parking his essays on as many forums as he can find. He may have aspirations for a Jamaican government post, or he may merely be looking for convenient backup in the event of the likely failure of his own PC due to maltreatment :wink:.

http://nyc-amp.cuny.edu/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 06:30 am
I quit taking an interest in our friend's posts when I realized that
1He wasnt interested in communication but only being heard

2He should spend a lot more time in bracing up his writing skills ( I have no idea how he got his BS, but in any good U hed have his work savaged for a number of mistakes )

3he never responds, he just keeps posting.

4Hes sorta like that ole preacher Hollis Ray Mathis, who just posted his Evangelism on the web and then collected it all at one spot.

Paul doesnt want any input, hes, as fresco said, mining a technology for self promotion, thats all.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 07:04 am
If you Google, "Paul Andrew Bourne", you will find 396 hits. Apparently this member will post on whatever free internet sites that will accept his writings. I noticed a number of sites where he has posted besides A2K.

Personally, I stopped reading term papers, when I graduated from college! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 12:51 pm
Ahhh, thank you, fresco, farmerman and Phoenix. Since I don't post often, I am not familiar with some of the posers.

Your explanations help answer the lack of anything really informative in his writing. How do these papers ever get graded if there is nothing in them of consequence? Is he after one of those free internet "college" degrees?

Don't bother answering, it isn't worth anyone's time.
0 Replies

paul andrew bourne

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 04:35 pm
Why is the purpose of your papers?
Paul Andrew Bourne

Education is not merely the embodiment of formal schooling but the discourse of social environment, which leads to more discourse.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 05:10 pm
That's just the point: your indulgence in monologues rather than dialogues means you are neither discoursing nor engaging in a social environment. A discourse of one, or a social environment of one, such as your posts exemplify, is no intellectual feat. You can't rely on vocabulary to fend off challenges to your ideas... you've got to meet them head-on.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 06:38 pm
Re: Why is the purpose of your papers?
Paul Andrew Bourne

Education is not merely the embodiment of formal schooling but the discourse of social environment, which leads to more discourse.

It is one thing people to explore the writings of known experts in a particular area of thought. It is quite another for a student to post ideas, offer nothing more of him/herself, and expect others to create discussions around these ideas.

Personally, since you don't seem to want to engage others in the discussions of your ideas, when I see your threads, I will simply pass them by.
0 Replies

paul andrew bourne

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 11:19 am
Ideas and discourse
Paul Andrew Bourne

Thoughts, perspectives, epistemological principles and social culturalization are not limited to academia but to the animal who is willing to explore the abstract notions. Hence, the creation of my writers are like abstract art, they are to intrigue, inspire, destroy and fashion divergence on perspective. This is not merely to converse but the ideas are discourses within a discourse.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 11:24 am
Quote:
This is not merely to converse but the ideas are discourses within a discourse.

Are you saying that your aim is to talk to yourself? If so, you have succeeded nicely!
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 11:36 am
Re: Ideas and discourse
Hence, the creation of my writers are like abstract art, they are to intrigue, inspire, destroy and fashion divergence on perspective.

I'll assume you mean "writings," not "writers."

Abstract art has got to be the worst possible model for scholarship. If you've made it this far in academia, you should know that scholarly ideas are useful only insofar as they invite methods of refutation (cf. Karl Popper). By pretending your "scholarship" is like art, you're willfully leaving your readers with no means of testing your claims, which conveniently relieves you of the responsibility of defending them. It is the most cowardly approach to scholarship I can imagine.

Besides, not even abstract art will excuse you from the grammatical mistakes in your posts, such as the subject-verb disagreement or the run-on sentence in the passage I quoted.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 11:40 am
yada
yada yada
yada yada yada.
0 Replies

paul andrew bourne

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 03:18 pm
Discourse
Paul Andrew Bourne

It is clear that your epistemology of things is based on the traditional view that science must be valid. Such perspective is embedded in postivism. Academics and pundits agree that this is single spatial. Knowledge is not limited to precision and generalization.

According to some sociologists, the inquiry of variables in society can be done by social interpretivism and-or historical analysis. Despite the low 'scientifiness' of this discourse according to some scholars, the question arises how do you measure 'sexual satistaction', 'male dominance', 'love', 'hate' or even 'discourse' within the context of positivism (by way of hypothesis testing and high validity)?

Social scientists may not even agree on the 'scientificness' of some studies. Based on a particular emphasis of the scientist 'validity' or 'reliabity', the discourse within science is unfolded.

Is your approach to the establisment of a science, a science?

A certain thinking is not multispatial within the context of a multidimensional social man.

Science in the social discipline is not limited to 'testabilitness' but on any of the following approaches:

(i) post-postivism;
(ii) interpretivism;
(iii) historical compartive paradigm;
(iv) critical participatory paradigm and
(v) the list is unending.

When one limits science in the social discourse to postivism, it implies particular perspective of the old epistemology on an ontology which does exit within time and etermity.
0 Replies

paul andrew bourne

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 03:49 pm
The 'Abstractness' in our social environment
By Paul Andrew Bourne

In order to contextaualize my response, I will asked the following questions:

(i) Why do you act a particular way?;
(ii) Why are we always exploring sex, love, hate, mistrust and pleasure?;
(iii) Can pleasure be quantified in order to measure its tenets?

Those issues are exemplar of abstract social phenomenon. Our social environment is not simply the epistemology of what we conceive it to be but a microcism of the macrocism ontology. The ontology to which we all seek to concretize and by extension measure is non-measurable because it is illusive. Hence, we create microcism variable in an effort to understand the whole.

Life is and our social environment is not confined to non-abstraction but is abstraction.

The creation of society can be studied from a whole. But this will not make us understand, for example:(1) why a particular individual does something different from other people? or (2) Why labelling theory is used to identify deviance?'

Simply limiting an event to deviance without scientific inquiry is an abstraction.

The very nature of life is abstraction to which we seek answers.

Our social world is abstract as the natural environment.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 04:56 pm
I want this on my tee shirt.
Its meaningless but it sounds like it means something

words are misused and mispelled, thus reflecting poorly on the U of Kingston
Quote:
Those issues are exemplar of abstract social phenomenon. Our social environment is not simply the epistemology of what we conceive it to be but a microcism of the macrocism ontology. The ontology to which we all seek to concretize and by extension measure is non-measurable because it is illusive.
0 Replies