Today we lost a bright light in our household

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 06:11 pm
Our beloved Vizsla Sadie ran out of luck today. She has been my constant companion for almost 14 years. She survived extensive back surgery last September and made a miraculous recovery. Her surgeon said she was probably his biggest success story. She has enjoyed swimming and the massage therapy and appeared healthier and more limber every day.

I became concerned this past Friday because she could not seem to get comfortable, and seemed a little wobbly, and showed no interest in food. (Vizsla's never turn down food and have been known to swipe huge loaves of bread off the counter while you are in another room) I took her temperature and it was 104.7 which meant a sprint to the Emergency Vet. They hooked her up with IV fluids and two antibiotics, she was dehydrated and appeared to have two separate infections. We were able to bring her home on Monday, but by Tuesday she was getting dehydrated again, so my regular vet hooked her up with fluids for 6 hours, drew some blood and let me take her home last night. We had already arranged to bring her back today for additional fluids, but when I arrived at 9:30 the Doctor had dire news. My sweet girl's liver was shutting down.

We were told we could have a biopsy done to pin down the cause, but the hard fact was that it wouldn't matter because her liver was in sad shape, unlikely to respond to any treatment and her kidneys had begun to fail as well.

In the 14 years we have been together, Sadie has never met a person she didn't like and try to charm. Well there was one guy working in the yard about 8 years ago that seemed to agitate her a great deal and she would only circle him with her ears flat. Vizsla's are not aggressive dogs, they love the company and are giddy when they get attention. My girl was a charmer, she never left my side or was out of my sight unless of course there was a strategic raid on the kitchen orchestrated while I was on the computer.

My Spaniel Chloe is also getting older and hasn't realized that Sadie isn't here quite yet. For myself, my husband and my son, were are experiencing a great aching empty feeling that will take some time to go away. I look forward to a time when I can think of her and smile, and not feel the loss.

We loved her too much to allow her to suffer. She had lost 10 pounds, hasn't eaten since thursday or friday and shivers constantly. She never lost her sweet disposition and would allow us to stroke her fur and cradle her head. We all gathered at the office to say our goodbys and then let her gently slip away with the same grace she lived her life. My family, my friends and my neighbors will mourn her passing, and be thankful for the time we had with her.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,882 • Replies: 29
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 06:14 pm
My heart goes out to you glitterbag,
I am so sorry for your loss.
Having gone through the death of a
beloved dog myself, I know exactly how
you feel right now.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 06:16 pm
Remember when we sign on to be companions of those whose lives are briefer than our own, we sign on to bring them here and see them off. Sounds like you gave her a good life and I hope her memories will be sweet.

My dad had a Vizsla and a Weimeraner. I never could figger out how two dogs that only seemed different by color had such entirely different temperments, the Vizsla was a big friendly doofus but the Weimeraner was just mean.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 06:16 pm
So very sorry indeed, I wish they lived longer Sad
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 06:19 pm
Sounds like you had a hell of a dog, glitterbag.

My condolences.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 06:20 pm
I'm so sorry to hear about Sadie, glitterbag.

Vizsla's are wonderfully goofy, full of personality, dogs.

Take good care of Chloe - the two of you may need an extra snuggle together.

I'll rub my dogs' skulls tonight and tell 'em about Sadie.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 06:26 pm
I'm sorry to hear that, GB.

I think that all dog lovers will know what you're going through right now.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 06:31 pm
Glitterbag, I know the feeling, honey. That's why I will have no more pets.

It is quite a coincidence seeing you here as I was just speaking with someone we both know about a springer spaniel named Freddy. <smile>
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 07:25 pm
Hello Letty,
I remember when John wrote about Freddy. It made me cry, because I know exactly what he means when he talks about the loving friendship of dogs. English Springer's are so resilient, my Chloe will occassionally walk off the bed at night (doesn't see very well at night anymore) land with a thud then bounce back up and wait for someone to put her back on the bed. She can't quite make the jump anymore, but she is still so happy in a daft sort of way.
Sadie was the cream puff although she was also the alpha dog. Several years ago we noticed that Sadie was gaining weight and Chloe was losing weight. I was concerned because weight loss normally means something is wrong. We got her checked out, nothing wrong medically. But there was this matter of not hearing very well. Chloe didn't like to eat until Sadie finished her meal. The behaviour got so nutty that she would put off eating sometimes till late at night. The reason she was losing weight, was because Sadie figured out that Chloe didn't seem to notice when she tiptoed into the laundry room, so she was scarfing down Chloe's food until I caught her in the act.
Sadie was a stealth snooper. She would watch me stuff tissues in my jeans and wait until they were hung up in the closet, then go thru the pockets at night while we were asleep. She snooped thru purses, sometime her whole head in while her tail wagged, the dog loved purses.
I'm going to miss her very much.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 07:28 pm
I'm sorry to hear about Sadie - my neighbor had a Vizsla - very beautiful - any pictures?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 07:35 pm
Glitterbug
Glitterbug, I'm so sorry for the death of your dear friend. When I say "dear friend" I mean that you loved her enough to not let her suffer because of your own sadness. You thought of her first. That is a true friend.

Its sad that we don't treat humans with as much kindness.

BBB
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 07:38 pm
I do have pictures, but I need someone to help me scan them in. When she was very young she was a rust color and absolutely gorgeous. As Vizsla's age, their faces become white much sooner then most dogs, and by the time they are Sadie's age, they have beautiful white faces with cognac colored eyes, lovely white feet and sweet dispositions.

Although my son is a grown man and married, he was only 19 when Sadie came into our lives and she loved him like crazy. I don't know if I did the right thing by calling him earlier to give him a heads up. He asked if he could be there with us to say goodby and I said O.K. It hurts even more to think of how distraught he was at the hospital. He has called me 5 times since Sadie slipped away. He says he worries about us, but I think this is very hard for him. The last time I spoke to him this evening I urged him to think of it in this way, we wouldn't hurt so much if she hadn't been such a wonderful addition to our lives and we should be grateful for the time we had with her. As painful as this is, I would do it all over again for a wonderful pal like Sadie.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 07:48 pm
Thank you boogie, I remember watching my mother die of Alzheimers, millimeter by millimeter. She was diagnosed at age 58 and died at 72. My Dad, my brother and I were with her when she died, and when she took her last breath I was shocked when I realized my first thought was "Now it's too late for a cure".
I thought I was ready for her, but we lost her twice. There had been so many near misses I don't think I realized that she actually could die. My Dad had her taken to the emergency room because she was even more still than usual. The doctor said he could hook up some fluids and we said fine, but they couldn't find a vein that could take the IV. The doctor said, they would need to insert the IV in her neck and I asked that my surgeon be asked to do it. He looked at me and said, you know, you don't have to do this. I don't think I understood what he was saying, but my dad or my brother asked if she was in bad shape. He said that even with the IV she might not make it thru the night, I didn't think my Dad was ready to let go, but he decided he couldn't watch her suffer any longer. He made the right decision, I'm glad he did, I'm glad we were all there, but it still sucks.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 08:23 pm
Hugs to you, glitterbag, and to Sadie. You have some wonderful memories to celebrate.

You might find THIS to be of some small comfort.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 08:30 pm
glitterbug
Glitterbug, it's hard to think of the patient first instead of your own feelings of loss.

My children have known for years my wishes not to have extreme steps taken to save my life. My has daughter expressed her need not to be the one that has to pull the plug. My son has never said he would not not.

I think it important that family members have the ability to authorize someone else to make that decision for them so they don't feel any guilt.

The main thing is think first of the suffering patient or animal.

BBB
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 08:34 pm
I'm so sorry for your loss.

It is very hard.....many of us know.

Let yourself grieve.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 08:46 pm
Thank you timberlake and all the others here who have been so kind. I did enjoy reading the rainbow bridge, and I think it may have been Will Rogers who said "if they don't have dogs in heaven, I want to go where they go".
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:28 pm
glitterbag,

Your story brought a sadness to my day and also a gladness that you were able to spend so many years with your beloved friend. It sounds like you brought joy to each other.

I am going to give my big gal, Kelsey, an extra hug tonight because she continues to bring sunshine into every day.

I understand your great loss and pray that you find comfort in the fact that the suffering was short and that your life was made brighter by your canine companion.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:45 pm
My condolences, glitterbag.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:49 pm
Egas, I'm sorry, Glitterbag. Our little fuzzy buddies really do make major inroads all through our hearts and lives! Sounds like Sadie had a good life with lots of love from you to help support her.
0 Replies