Oh No! my mum feeds the squirrels!

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:09 pm
If a Lakewood lawmaker gets her way, metro area residents would be fined if caught luring squirrels, raccoons, foxes, coyotes and even skunks to their homes and feeding them.
Sen. Deanna Hanna's Senate Bill 75, scheduled to be heard in committee at 1:30 p.m. Thursday, would set fines of up to $1,000 for offenders.
rockymtnnews
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,182 • Replies: 24
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:41 pm
Hey Dys your link doesn't work. In any case, feeding wildlife should not be a crime. Granted, it may be a hazard but a crime? No way dude!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:45 pm
My mum has been feeding a pair of squirrels that live in her back yard for many years, IF she forgets to put peanuts in their tray and the patio door is open they come into the kitchen and yell at her. I hope she doesn't go to jail, she's 83 years old.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:46 pm
Feeding wildlife make them dependent, is bad for their diet and make it so their not afraid of humans so they go apesh!t and then they get shot.

I wouldn't tangle with a coon.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:48 pm
Who the heck would "lure" a skunk to their home?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:48 pm
This sort of criminal behaviour is what puts your nation's security at risk.

You have to stop her, Dys. For the sake of your country.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:49 pm
Not only that, the robins steal the cherries from my mums cherry tree, criminals! (in all honesty I think feeding wildlife is not generally a good idea) which reminds me, I need to pick up some wild bird seed.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:50 pm
Suicide squirrels?
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:53 pm
Wildlife Alert Levels:

LOW: squirrels on the fence
MEDIUM: raccoons in the trash
HIGH: skunks under the porch
OHSHIT: coyotes in the kitchen
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:59 pm
One early morning meself and the lady diane were standing in the open garage when up the sidewalk comes a road-runner. He stopped at the edge of our driveway, looked at us for a moment then continued his morning stroll. The lady diane was ascared at all.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 01:02 pm
road runners have tight schedules.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 01:07 pm
Will the proceeds from the fines go to pay rewards for those trapping cats?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:12 pm
What about bugs? If anyone has plants they are feeding the bugs! And the small animals feed off the bugs and the larger animals feed off the smaller animals thus you are indirectly feeding the animals if you have plants! We must eliminate plants! And trash! Raccoons like to get into trash! There is no end! Let's just kill all the animals to reduce the chances of feeding them!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:26 pm
nukes!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:29 pm
my poor husbands gonna starve....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:36 pm
The Don River runs through Toronto, and several feeder streams have valleys which cut down through the bluffs providing both habitat and pathways for wildlife. Raccoons are common in the city, and possums are occassionally seen, as are skunks. My Sweetiepie saw a skunk run under the porch of house a few doors down last evening. Raccoons shelter in the her shed in the back yard in the wintertime. Toronto is the fourth or fifth largest city in North America (depending upon whether or not the amalgamation of surrounding municipalities a few years ago pushed the population past that of Chicago). At night you can sometimes hear the raccoons screaming at one another as they brawl, and they go after the trash cans and the "green bins" (the city requires that "edible garbage"--the type of stuff you would put in your compost--be placed in a green bin, which the city provides, and which is collected each week with the garbage and the recycling). I've smelled skunk in the streets here before. Although i'm used to living in small towns and cities in which such wildlife is common, it is rather disconcerting to think of a city of about four million overrun by raccoons and skunks. Because of the river valley and the streams which feed it, they are common throughout the city.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:48 pm
"a city of four million raccoons and skunks"

wow

take care

ps wassa road runner?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:52 pm
http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/photos/santa_barbara_california/images/road%20runner.jpg

A road runner is a desert bird of the North American southwest, which does not rely upon flight. It has been immortalized in the Warner Brothers cartoon series . . .

http://www.vibephone.com/rr/images/roadrunner_bird01.gif
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 03:04 pm
thanks mr wild life expert ornithologist

nice pictures (seriously)

but the red flash behind the eye gives it away, thats not real is it?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 03:07 pm
Yeah, i got that from a wildlife photography page at Harvard University . . .
0 Replies