I'm From China!

raymond chan

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 10:22 am
spidergal wrote:

How has been Brokeback Mountain's victory at the Oscars received in China?

We dont focus on it at all!

The director of this film has got a victory at the Oscars ever before by film <Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon> ,after watching this film <Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon>,in my opinion,it's dull and it's nothing special! We were confused that by what means he got that victory? And if so,every action movie produced by HK should get a higher victory!
It made us disappointed.

As <Brokeback Mountain>, I dont wanna take a look at all! One reason is the topic of this film makes me feel sick,no matter how it touches people.Although this film has been banned by our government cause its sensitive topic,but many people will download it from internet.

In short, people will more or less feel proud of it as he's the first Chinese to get such honor.But we should not forget that he is a Taiwan director,not mainland director.We are finding the gap in making films between these two places,if it does exist.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 01:24 pm
raymond chan wrote:

As <Brokeback Mountain>, I dont wanna take a look at all! One reason is the topic of this film makes me feel sick,no matter how it touches people.Although this film has been banned by our government cause its sensitive topic,but many people will download it from internet.

In short, people will more or less feel proud of it as he's the first Chinese to get such honor.But we should not forget that he is a Taiwan director,not mainland director.We are finding the gap in making films between these two places,if it does exist.

What? Ang Lee is a Nice Director... Don't u love his Hollywood Action fliks like MI -1, Broken arrow & Face Off?

Brokeback Mountain isn't about 2 gays doing sex Rolling Eyes

Its a good presentation of human emotions .... Relationship of 2 Human beings (it doesn't matter if they both be males or females)

Rey, Homosexuality isn't an effect of sexual frustration of bunch of males deprived from females. If it was so, the normal society has good number of available females, why would two men indugle in a relationship in such society though one of them being happily married (as shown in the flik)?

I am not forcing you to like the film but then your critic on the film as we see above just doesn't offer a sensible opinion on a very good picture by an asian artist called Ang lee (Asian becoz you are getting secular by calling him Non-Chinese just becoz he belongs to taiwan).

See, he is first Asian Mainstream hollywood dirctor to win a Best Director OSCAR for a Nice Work like Brokeback Mountain. He also happne to belong to China. We indians appreciate this to atleast break the circle of western directors who were winning the award always.

Still if you feel his Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (being in Chinese) was a better film than Brokeback (being on Gay relationship) then please ! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Cross

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 10:29 am
hey ray, nice to meet u, me from beijing, wouldnt mind a northerner poping into the scene right^_^?(..and dont worry im not a web police trying to trick u to say something that could get u detained:P)
0 Replies

lemonegg2001

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 02:40 am
raymond chan wrote:

See~ how discrimination so severe in China, just one step next to the exciuction like middle east.
No right to judge if you not seen it.

As for Oscar night, CCTV cut all the sensitive words and scene. only mentioned Ann lee win the award, not even had a clue winning from which movie, hilarious!

Still most of the people are proud of it despite Ang Lee came from Taiwan
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 02:54 am
Quote:
I am nobody, nobody is perfect, so I am perfect.

I like that! Very good, lemonegg.
0 Replies

lemonegg2001

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 08:26 pm
McTag wrote:

I like that! Very good, lemonegg.

Thx
0 Replies

raymond chan

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 08:07 am
That's your rights to be gay,but pls dont make sex and show it to the public!

My friends almost vomit after they watched that film!

That's why Ang Lee can get that reward,his film shock the people by turning people's stomach!!
0 Replies

raymond chan

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 08:24 am
Cross wrote:
hey ray, nice to meet u, me from beijing, wouldnt mind a northerner poping into the scene right^_^?(..and dont worry im not a web police trying to trick u to say something that could get u detained:P)

Hi Cross, glad to see u here and welcome! Smile
0 Replies

lemonegg2001

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 02:48 am
raymond chan wrote:
That's your rights to be gay,but pls dont make sex and show it to the public!

How interested. I was wandering what your opnion about Gay Pride Parade ?because, you know, this is a public stuff.
0 Replies

ScottR

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 01:02 am
Hello Raymond. I am an American who studies Mandarin as a hobby. 我很喜欢中国 Smile I spent July 2005 in Beijing China studying Mandarin. It is a big city and I walked around A LOT! I spent much time in little hu tongs (neighborhoods with narrow alley ways) and I always felt safe. I think that is the big difference between Chinese cities (at least Beijing) and American. I would not feel nearly as safe in New York (I have been there many times).

What do I want for China. I want China to be great, but do it your way. I feel that many urban Chinese just want to copy the Americans life style. Don't copy the American life style, build and even BETTER life style. Yes, you want cars and material possessions. I think the Chinese people deserve to have the things that the west has. Just remember, chasing after material things can consume your life. I see it happening around me all the time. People have so much yet they seem to always want MORE. You can be better! Get what you want and know when you have enough.

你的美国朋友。
0 Replies

lemonegg2001

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 09:34 am
Good point ScottR!
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 01:22 pm
I would love to go for Tai Chi.

I feel in yoga is more about resting than in Tai Chi. As Tai Chi involves great balance of the body and moving it with focused mind, it appeals me more.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 01:31 pm
Raymond,
For me, your thread is very interesting. I enjoy reading the different opinions. What makes it really special are the contributions from individuals from China and/or those with Chinese/Asian life experiences.
0 Replies

raymond chan

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 08:46 am
ScottR wrote:
I think that is the big difference between Chinese cities (at least Beijing) and American. I would not feel nearly as safe in New York

Hello ScottR, the problems of public security in NewYork are very severe?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 12:36 pm
I lived in NYC for 15 years, never had a problem. I often go back to visit and I feel very safe. I think it's one of the greatest places in the world and I wish everyone would get a chance to visit it.

I also agree with ScottR that I would hate to see China become what is the worst of America. China needs to embrace it's historical past, it's uniqueness in all things Chinese. China's traditional rich culture is being destroyed to make way for McDonalds, cars, boxy apartments and soon Walmarts. I once saw a picture of some wonderful traditional chinese buildings that were going to be destroyed so an ugly western style office building could be built. Once old China is gone it cannot be recreated. It would be a loss to both China and the world if these things are not preserved.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 05:51 am
Quote:
I wish everyone would get a chance to visit it.

Oh Thanks GreenWitch Very Happy

It was only yesterday that I had been considering New York University's graduate and post graduate courses in Neurosciences! Razz
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 08:03 am
I went to NYU spidergirl _LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 04:42 am
raymond chan wrote:
spidergal wrote:

How has been Brokeback Mountain's victory at the Oscars received in China?

We dont focus on it at all!

The director of this film has got a victory at the Oscars ever before by film <Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon> ,after watching this film <Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon>,in my opinion,it's dull and it's nothing special! We were confused that by what means he got that victory? And if so,every action movie produced by HK should get a higher victory!
It made us disappointed.

Thanks Ray for the reply Smile ( Sorry, this thanks rather comes late.)

Hmm...So, they have banned it. You don't wanna take a look at it!

Just what I had been expecting!! I knew China must have banned it!

*Another question (which has suddenly struck me)

Don't you guys sometimes feel really irritated because of Chinese government's strict banning policies? I mean they have banned Cartoon Network (Not sure if the ban still exists ) and they banned a novel by a Chinese writer that won the Nobel. Well, what do the Chinese here have to say?*

As for the movie BM, I have not seen it but from what vinny wrote I can say its not a steamy one. But yes, generally speaking, there are lots of other good issues that directors can take up. Homosexuality is a hormonal condition- something that exists from your birth. Not genetic, hormonal. Movies that deal with the psychological traumas faced by such people are pretty acceptable. Anyways, thats a different story.
0 Replies

raymond chan

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 08:28 am
spidergal wrote:

*Another question (which has suddenly struck me)

Don't you guys sometimes feel really irritated because of Chinese government's strict banning policies? I mean they have banned Cartoon Network (Not sure if the ban still exists ) and they banned a novel by a Chinese writer that won the Nobel. Well, what do the Chinese here have to say?*

Yes! We feel irritated abt that!
But , you know , different countries have different policies of controling ideology.
Do you know the reason why no Chinese mainland people can win the Nobel Prize?
The banning policy will be the one reason. So it seems it's impossible for a banned novel to win the Nobel.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 09:46 am
I was in Shanghai for 4 days a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely LOVED it !!
0 Replies