I'm From China!

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 09:25 am
raymond chan wrote:
haha! miss u guys so much!

And we have missed you, raymond. As a matter of fact I was worried sick during your absence. "What happened to raymond chan!?", I've been yelling all over the place.
0 Replies

raymond chan

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 12:25 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
raymond chan wrote:
haha! miss u guys so much!

And we have missed you, raymond. As a matter of fact I was worried sick during your absence.

Take it easy,man!
I have not done sth wrong,but just back to home from a journey!
0 Replies

raymond chan

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 12:31 pm
Mapleleaf wrote:
What parts of the American culture most interest the Chinese?

I think maybe the modern life style most interest Chinese people.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 04:27 pm
raymond,
On A2K, you will find that members search for details. For example, you say the Chinese people are interested in our modern lifestyle...so, be more specific. The video we receive from our China connection on satellite TV shows modern Chinese cities, westernized clothing, gift shops and such. What is the lifestyle of the average Chinese and what part of modern do they like?
0 Replies

raymond chan

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 02:39 am
Mapleleaf wrote:
What is the lifestyle of the average Chinese and what part of modern do they like?

On lifestyle,I think,people envy the freedom in America.As America lead by an almost perfect law,American can do every things,do every business ,do every political activities equally.

And the other aspect is the social security.As we know, US is a super country in the world,every one wants to get there for a better life away from poverty.So the Chinese people,once they step on the US continent,they will feel that they're safer and higher social status compare to the people in China. And they will think childishily that they can live a life without any social security problems.

On part of modern,speaking English is a part of modern I think,especially the American-English accent.Now Chinese people are learning English crazyly,some of them think that speaking English is fashionable.
A lot of people are peacockish,they like the American brands,just the brands,even though the quality of products is worse,they will still to purchase it.
What's more,American own the technique of modern machines,these machines can be used in life no sooner.That's what we Chinese people envy of.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 08:30 pm
Hehe, So I am just so ancient that I chose British (or sometimes bizarrely nice Middle East) English as my tongue..

Well, from my point of view, it is not just the States that most Chinese envy of (They just "hear" the life is good in the U.S. but don't know who it works), but the whole "western world".

Also it is a mix of feelings, considering how the people responded to the bombing on Chinese Embassy in Yugoslavia over 6 years ago. And still people tends to refer to America with a slightly scornful way. But you, it is much much more moderate than that in the Middle East.

Seriously, the Chinese culture, is really in a shambles. It's neither traditional not mordern.
If you make everyone think it carefully then everyone will soon figure out the answer, though they might not answer you.
It is profit, consumerism, and money, that formulate the modern culture of China.
Sadly, but truely.

(And Chan that is a byproduct of that "Economy-centered" policy, a damaging effect on culture. And it is also reasonable for you to argue that it will be healed once the economy is fully developed. Probably true, who knows.)
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 12:11 pm
Good stuff...I love details...we only know what we read and see on Chinese controlled TV.

Some of us in the USA are not happy with the self-centeredness of our nation. American businesses have convinced us to spend, even if it leads to deep debt.
0 Replies

lemonegg2001

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:25 am
Google just made compromise to Chinese government.

quote from BBC:
Leading internet company Google has said it will censor its search services in China in order to gain greater access to China's fast-growing market.

Google has offered a Chinese-language version of its search engine for years but users have been frustrated by government blocks on the site.

The company is setting up a new site - Google.cn - which it will censor itself to satisfy the authorities in Beijing.
0 Replies

raymond chan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:25 am
lemonegg2001 wrote:
Google just made compromise to Chinese government.

quote from BBC:
Leading internet company Google has said it will censor its search services in China in order to gain greater access to China's fast-growing market.

Google has offered a Chinese-language version of its search engine for years but users have been frustrated by government blocks on the site.

The company is setting up a new site - Google.cn - which it will censor itself to satisfy the authorities in Beijing.

Fu*k Chinese Government!
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 02:46 am
raymond,
We have read that the Chinese internet is censored. So, how do you get by saying negative things about China?
0 Replies

raymond chan

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 10:34 am
Mapleleaf wrote:
raymond,
We have read that the Chinese internet is censored. So, how do you get by saying negative things about China?

er...through a special explorer software that I can surf some websites (banned by Chinese government)without any censors. And my city is not so far from HK,so that we can get more info or magazines abt the negative side of China,although we can receive the signal from HK television.
However,it's not a big deal,if I dont talk abt sth bad for the CCP or the steadiness of our society,I wont be arrested by the Chinese Web-Police.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 11:13 am
raymond chan wrote:
F*ck Chinese Government....

raymond chan wrote:
er...through a special explorer software that I can surf some websites (banned by Chinese government)without any censors. And my city is not so far from HK,so that we can get more info or magazines abt the negative side of China,although we can receive the signal from HK television.
However,it's not a big deal,if I dont talk abt sth bad for the CCP or the steadiness of our society,I wont be arrested by the Chinese Web-Police.

Ohhh I get it! Rey you stay near HK. No wonder you would say that. People in HK call themselves British than chinese and get irritated when they are termed as chinese.

I had 2 of my internet friends from HK. One Simone and other Rachael. Both Girls ( Cool )... they would simply get agitated when i used to call them chinese. When viewed their pics they ALL LOOKED THE CHINESE SAME to me Razz
0 Replies

raymond chan

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 12:53 pm
vinsan wrote:

Ohhh I get it! Rey you stay near HK. No wonder you would say that. People in HK call themselves British than chinese and get irritated when they are termed as chinese.

I had 2 of my internet friends from HK. One Simone and other Rachael. Both Girls ( Cool )... they would simply get agitated when i used to call them chinese. When viewed their pics they ALL LOOKED THE CHINESE SAME to me Razz

Whatever they would like to call themselves,but it's the fact that never be changed that they are chinese-look not british-look!
I've seen a survey on HK people that there're more than 60% HK people would like to call themselves as CHINESE or HK RESIDENTS!

Vinsan, I very hate such friends u mentioned as yours!!
It's a humiliation to themselves!!
0 Replies

lemonegg2001

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 04:57 am
raymond chan wrote:

Vinsan, I very hate such friends u mentioned as yours!!
It's a humiliation to themselves!!

Don't get irritated so easy, they can have theirs mind.

你不是传说中的愤青吧,嘿嘿
0 Replies

raymond chan

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 11:43 am
lemonegg2001 wrote:

Don't get irritated so easy, they can have theirs mind.

你不是传说中的愤青吧,嘿嘿

怎么会呢!我讨厌假洋鬼子,这是一种自卑的表现!我是十分看不起这种人的!不是吗?
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 02:18 pm
I can't read Chinese; but, of course, you know that. I learn by your exchanges in English... Smile
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 05:33 pm
vinsan wrote:

How dare they. That is an insult to Chinese history, China and the unity of the Chinese people. History shows Britain (and many other Western powers) used some of the most unfair means to invade, steal, threaten and carve up China - this is insult enough to a nation. Then we had Macau taken by the Portuguese and HK taken by Britain by methods that would make people weep. Now HK people deny their roots.

I never get angry when Beijing people call themselves Beijing ren. I never get angry when people from Shanghai are classified as Shanghainese. There is an underlying understanding of unity - they are still of one nation. But I get extremely angry and upset when HK people call themselves HK - because they intend to be known as seperate from Chinese. Too many misunderstandings about China arise from these silly technical differences because people refuse to admit their roots, so much so that many of my peers believe HK to be its own country and nation and I can't blame them for their misunderstanding. This is something the Chinese-HK people have caused and only they can remedy it.
0 Replies

raymond chan

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 02:36 am
pragmatic wrote:

How dare they. That is an insult to Chinese history, China and the unity of the Chinese people. History shows Britain (and many other Western powers) used some of the most unfair means to invade, steal, threaten and carve up China - this is insult enough to a nation. Then we had Macau taken by the Portuguese and HK taken by Britain by methods that would make people weep. Now HK people deny their roots.

I never get angry when Beijing people call themselves Beijing ren. I never get angry when people from Shanghai are classified as Shanghainese. There is an underlying understanding of unity - they are still of one nation. But I get extremely angry and upset when HK people call themselves HK - because they intend to be known as seperate from Chinese. Too many misunderstandings about China arise from these silly technical differences because people refuse to admit their roots, so much so that many of my peers believe HK to be its own country and nation and I can't blame them for their misunderstanding. This is something the Chinese-HK people have caused and only they can remedy it.

Support u!!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 02:42 am
bookmark

Hello Raymond, and everybody.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 08:43 am
Hi Raymond

Hope you are still posting here.

One question:

How has been Brokeback Mountain's victory at the Oscars received in China?
0 Replies