discrimination

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 03:28 pm
i need your opinoins on how discrimination is relevant today?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 723 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 03:34 pm
That depends upon what one means by discrimination. If it means the prejudicial exclusion of someone from an activity or access to a right or privilege, based upon a descriptive category (female, black, Muslim, disabled, elderly)--then i'd say that is pernicious and always has been, and always will be.

If however, one simply considers the concept of discrimination, then your topic is entirely different. Of all the tobaccos i have smoked in cigarettes, if have found turkish to have the richest flavor, and a blend of turkish, virginia and kentucky burly to provide the most satisfying smoking epxerience. Learning that and applying the lesson of experience to my choices is the exercise of discrimination. Knowing that a particular food tastes better to you, and therefore selecting it from a menu is an exercise in discrimination. Choosing to put on a particular pair of shoes in the morning because they best compliment your outfit is an exercise in discrimination.

That sort of discrimination is neutral in any social sense. People will comdemn others for being judgmental--but that's unreasonable. We make judgments from one end of the day to the other. The more appropriate question is whether or not one's application of discrimination is just.
0 Replies

caramelshine

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 04:05 pm
well thanks for your opinion also i meant discrimination in the prejudice way
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 05:30 pm
Is this a school assignment?
0 Replies

Mandso

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 05:58 pm
descrimination has increased - people used to be accepted for how they were, and now, descrimination is everywhere, mainly towards muslims, because of acts of terrorism
0 Replies

caramelshine

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 09:18 pm
no this is not a school assignment. and thanks for everyone's feedback!
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 09:47 am
caramelshine,

Discrimination in the sense of prejudice (positive or negative) may be a natural extension of a survival instinct. All animals seem to have the ability to classify others in terms of "friend" or "foe" etc and they must do this quickly on the basis of limited information.
In primates this is extended to a form of tribalism which anticipates the tribal wars of homo-sapiens.
The religious ideal of "brotherly love" may be just that - an ideal -with little chance of anything more than limited success in a competitive world.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 01:01 pm
The global network of communication that exists today seems to be having an interesting effect on discrimination. Prejudice, whatever you want to call it, could been seen as vital and has surely existed for what might seem like an eternity in the eyes of one person over one life time though.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 01:26 pm
discrimination
Discrimination basically means selection or choice. To say that someone discriminates among various vegetables in the market is to use the term in a positive way, simply meaning that they chose peas rather than asparagus, which is a neutral decision, with no moral or legal aspects. But to say that someone discriminates among people of different races or religions is usually a negative statement. In this sense it implies rejection of a person for reasons unrelated to the job they are applying for, for example.

Discrimination in the negative sense is usually based on fear which in turn is based on ignorance.
0 Replies