Atheist Quotes

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 07:54 am
Great quote, Eorl. Besides being a wonderful science-fiction writer, Asimov was a first class mind.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 12:10 pm
You think he had a first class mind?

Apparently he didn't know the meaning of "all" or "totally" or "the most" among other simple words that he tried to use, but failed to use correctly.

To assert that someone ignores "totally" "all" of the findings of science for the past 20 centuries is either the statement of an unabashed liar, or a fool. (Or maybe he considers his audience to be fools.)

In any case, no one can take such a statement at face value.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 06:10 pm
Not happy finding yourself in that particular box real life? Can't blame you really.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 06:16 pm
Here's another Asimov I'm fond of plagiarizing. I would have liked to have seen Frank's response to this.

When people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 09:54 pm
Eorl wrote:
real life wrote:
You think he had a first class mind?

Apparently he didn't know the meaning of "all" or "totally" or "the most" among other simple words that he tried to use, but failed to use correctly.

To assert that someone ignores "totally" "all" of the findings of science for the past 20 centuries is either the statement of an unabashed liar, or a fool. (Or maybe he considers his audience to be fools.)

In any case, no one can take such a statement at face value.

Not happy finding yourself in that particular box real life? Can't blame you really.

Eorl,

Since you and I communicate via a computer, I am at a loss to explain why you seem to believe that I totally ignore all of the scientific advances of the past 20 centuries.

Do you not see the fallacy in your position?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 11:21 pm
No, because you can't separate science into boxes and say some science works and other science does not, because my bible doesn't agree with it. To ignore some science is to ignore science as a method of determining truth.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 11:49 pm
Can science determine all truth, Eorl?
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:02 am
What is truth?

Is it true that there was water before the face of God before He began His Creation?

Is it true that there was light and thus day and night before the creation of the sun?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:48 am
real life, no it can't. That does not disqualify science entirely or give you the right to cherry-pick as you please between fact and fiction.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 08:31 am
Eorl wrote:
real life, no it can't. That does not disqualify science entirely or give you the right to cherry-pick as you please between fact and fiction.

Asimov's quote referring to folks who "totally ignore all" modern advances, and your implication that I "disqualify science entirely" are both classic overreach, entirely without factual foundation.

You'd make a great politician though, since you seem to enjoy seeing things in black and white. Very popular these days.

Since you apparently feel that folks are not qualified to decide for themselves what they think is true and false (fact and fiction), would you mind identifying by name the elite group of individuals to whom mankind must now turn to decide these matters for us?
0 Replies