Pandora's box similar to the garden of eden story?

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:51 pm
I was just reading up on pandora's box and found it to be quite similar to that of the story with Eve and her disregard for the forbidden fruit. Do you guys think these stories were created in order to lower the status of women and sort of allow men to have greater control over women?

I was just wondering what your thoughts or views are on this and if possible could you give some sort of an explanation?
THX
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,831 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:57 pm
Quote:

Do you guys think these stories were created in order to lower the status of women...

No.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 09:16 pm
I think they emerged as myths partly because of, and reflecting, male discomfort with female power, yes.
0 Replies

pseudokinetics

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 09:44 pm
i dont think so. I think they were both ideas on how wrong was released into the world and how we apreciate fun and joy even more.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 10:12 pm
dlowan wrote:
I think they emerged as myths partly because of, and reflecting, male discomfort with female power, yes.

It is a mistake to interpret Ancient Mediteranian legends using Modern Western values.

Every culture, since our primate ancestors started to develop culture, has had to deal with gender roles. The stories should interpreted within the culture from which they were developed.

Dismissing the stories as "male discomfort with female power" is a very modern thing to say that would not have made any sense in either Hebrew, or Greek culture.

The stories themselves are quite different anyway. The snake in the Hebrew legend is ummistakably a very masculine figure. The burning jealousy and vanity are unique the Greek version of the female Pandora (which has no male tempter).
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:17 pm
Well is it not true that in those ancient civilizations, women were seen as inferior to their male counterpart?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 07:01 am
In ancient civilizations, women were seen as different than men.

Cultures develop to meet the needs of people living in the culture. Earlier societies understood that childbearing was one of the most important things (those that didn't get this didn't last long).

The male and female roles in childbearing are very different.

In every society that has ever existed, it has been the female gets pregnant. During this time the male is left with the role of provider and protector.

These gender differences are dictated by biology-- and are a natural result of evolution. Look at primates and other social animals and you will see the same thing.

I think saying that these differences make females "inferior" is a sign of a modern American putting judgment on very different cultures.

The fact is that had earlier cultures, without modern medicine and economy, had our ideas of gender "equality", they would have died out pretty quickly. These cultures simply couldn't tolerate females who could choose to not have children.

Maybe that is part of what the story of Pandora's box is saying.
0 Replies