Evolution vs. Religion made elementary

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 04:15 pm
We all know the two conflicting arguments that give regards to our creation and all that is existent on our planet as well as the many other solar systems, galaxies, and other planetary bodies. Well which is it? Evolution from microorganisms, or the theory of an intelligent designer? My dilemma is why science and religion cannot co exist without there being refutations made against one another. The argument is more or less elementary, just reworded to make it sound intelligent.
In my opinion this is how it would sound if it were two children arguing

"God created everything, he created you me and all the stuff that we have on this planet"

"Nuh uh. we evolved from small little animal thingies."

"Well god created those too. Things cant just exist without something creating it. You cant build a sand castle without sand right? so how can those creatures exist without something to create them? That proves my point of god"

"No it doesn't , those creatures are made up of even smaller things that you cant see and those things arent living things. Thats why god doesnt exist. Plus you cant see him"

"Well how do you know those creatures existed without proof, you didn't see them."

"Well there are fossils which is proof of their existence"

"How do you knwo those fossils aren't just non-living things that you guys thought looked like animals? If you weren't actually there tos ee them how do you knwo they existed?

"I don't know, all i know is god doesnt exist because I haven't seen him and he has done nothing to show that he/she is here"

"god created everything, we are the evidence of gods existence"

"Nuh uh"

"ya huh"

It was supposed to sound a little more childish but thats the best that I can do hopefully this accurately displayed a simplified version of the argument
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 671 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Ray

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 05:20 pm
Interesting post crayon851. Very Happy

I agree that sometimes that's how the debate sounds like, but a proper debate on ID vs. Evolution will not carry that negative connotation unless you think that it's a waste of time to really debate it in the first place.

The problem with ID is that it is meant to refute evolution. That's why they can't co-exist, because ID is innately opposed to evolution.

ID cannot be empirically proven, so I don't consider it to be a valid scientific theory. A metaphysical postulate maybe, but not a scientific theory. Evolution on the other hand, does have its empirical proofs.
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 10:07 pm
Well is this not a question similar to asking whether the egg or the chicken came first? Everything has to originate from somewhere right? If science argues that there is no proof of god because he cannot be seen; and religion argues that there has to be an initial point from which there was nothing and then there is god which created something. Is that not just an endless cycle?
In my opinion, i believe that our minds are incapable of comprehending an entity such as god. Society strictly believes that things can't come from nothing, they have to come from something, which is also evident in religion as well beign that god created us and we did not just exist. Surely there must be some sort of compromise made between these two groups.

Science: There is no proof that god exists because we cant see him.
Religion: God exists because we exist, without god it is unlikely that we would come to exist.. things dont come to exist out of nowhere. So where would we come?
Science: We evolved from micro organisms
Religion: And what came before that?
Science: Non organic particles
religion: and before that?
Science:...I jsut know god doesnt exist

Well how science can't just assume that a god exists?
0 Replies

Ethmer

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 05:57 am
Why does everyone discount the possibility of "Creative Evolution"?

Isn't it possible that there is a God but that It didn't create "us" but instead created our soul-entity and left it up to our soul-entities to create, through (controlled) evolution, the environment and bodies that they needed to exist in within the physical dimension?

It is just possible that WE are not yet advanced enough to comprehend that there are partial truths with Darwinists, Creationists and Intelligent Design proponents?

If the universe came from the Big Bang, where did the Big Bang come from?

It came from the Reality that is outside of the universe yet contains it. A Reality that is non-physical yet capable of inspiring/creating physical existence/experience.

The universe is but one "room" Expressed by Reality with a purpose of experiencing that that is physical.

Reality is where we become when we choose to shed our bodily shell that contains/constrains us.

Consider the possibility that:

1. There is a God!

2. That this God Inspired/Created the Reality that allows for the existence of the universe(s), and the relevant "laws" necessary thereto.

3. That this God Inspired/Created the individual Spirits that exist and that those Spirits continue the effects of Creation just as a child continues to create after its parents have created it.

4. That the Reality of existence is really in a non-physical realm.

5. That the Spirits, while in the non-physical realm, devised/caused the existence of physical reality to come about and caused it to be advanced through the principles of evolution (simply a tool). And that evolution governs the progress of both animate and inanimate things.

6. That the Spirits Created the ability for themselves to "descend" into their physical creation from the non-physical realm (Incarnation and Reincarnation).

7. That Spirits, while in the non-physical realm, are able to know the problems, hurdles and potential outcomes that are going to befall the particular entity that they are going to inhabit, prior to inhabiting it, yet choose to inhabit anyway because of their own "growth" desires/needs.

8. That the events of the physical world (death, pain, suffering and "evil") are not significant to the Reality,
which is the non-physical realm, wherein our Spirit's true existence is, and therefore requires no intervention by God.

9. Spirits in the Non-physical realm may, at times, offer suggestive guidance to entities in the physical realm in order to assist them along their chosen path or purpose but such guidance is usually through inspiration (hunches) and dreams.

10. That the purpose of it all is for the experience of God and that eventually all Spirits will gravitate back into the Oneness of God.

My rationale of and for God is explained in the document at the link below which i wrote several years ago.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 06:07 am
Quote:

We all know the two conflicting arguments that give regards to our creation and all that is existent on our planet as well as the many other solar systems, galaxies, and other planetary bodies. Well which is it? Evolution from microorganisms, or the theory of an intelligent designer?

Problem number one - Evolution deals with the adaptation of life, not lifes origins. You don't even seem to know what evolution means.
You have listened to too much IDiot apologetics.
Quote:

Science: There is no proof that god exists because we cant see him.
Religion: God exists because we exist, without god it is unlikely that we would come to exist.. things dont come to exist out of nowhere. So where would we come?
Science: We evolved from micro organisms
Religion: And what came before that?
Science: Non organic particles
religion: and before that?
Science:...I jsut know god doesnt exist

Completely incorrect. 'science' says no such thing, as it deals with what is, not what isn't.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 08:04 am
Fortunately, most religions have accepted the concept of organic evolution. The few (and the loud) objectors are the Fundamental forms of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. They have been trying to undermine the evidence of science in order to fit their theology. If your theology demands belief in a literal Bibleor Quran, then science is mostly in the way.

While evolution does not deal with origins, our paleochemitry evidence is taking us farther back to a time in our planets history when life first appeared . This evidence has been used as a basis for developing theories of how life began and while there are some very interesting findings we dont know it all.
But thats what makes a scientists day, they dont wanna work on redemonstrating what we already know.
As far as any "dispute" the Creationist?ID schools are merely trying to assert a theology over science and , Im afraid there will probably never be full agreement . The IDers come closest to mainstream religion, they readily admit that the role of evolution and common ancestry is undeniable, yet they takea "pardon me" on the role of evolution in human ancestry. and they need a divine intervention at specific times along evolutions path. Thats really not too bad. The Creationists (young and old earth variety) will probably never come to accept scientific evidence and , as such, will be left out as science moves along. Those guys are stuck in the 1920'S
0 Replies