Indian Schools, a positve view.

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:05 am
Continuing from my previous thread about Indian Schools I'm happy to note a positive event. Last summer I met a lady about 40ish who was a "student" at an indian school in Montana as a child. When she was emancipated her tribe funded her to go to the university and get a degree in education. Meanwhile the tribe tossed out the christian church that had operated the Indian School to run it themselves. This lady returned home with her teaching degree and was hired by the tribe to teach the children their own native language which most had never learned because their parents had been educated at the indian school when it was still operated by the christian church. Pretty neat, I think.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,292 • Replies: 16
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:09 am
That is neat.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:15 am
I'm currently considering posting my own family experience in these matters.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:16 am
I'd certainly be interested, but can imagine how you might be hesitant to put it out there.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:16 am
yes
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:18 am
I recall that there was an art school in Santa Fe for Amerindians, but do not recall the details. Perhaps the right-wing cowboy there could elaborate . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:40 am
maybe this one Institute of American Indian Arts College
there is also a school for learning traditional weaving, that's about all I know in Santa Fe
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:41 am
who you calling a cowboy?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:41 am
Guess, Kemosabe . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:43 am
you betchum red ryder.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 12:07 pm
BBB
Vigorously beating the Tom Tom and wiggling my arse as I prance around the campfire.

Damn smoke is burning my eyes.

BBB
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 02:11 pm
Sigh.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 02:17 pm
Cool story. I wonder what America would look like today inhabited only by natives to the precent day?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:15 pm
When I drive by country that is still in a wild state, I try to imagine how it was when Indians lived their. I'm certain that there would be little if any pollution and most native animal species would still be extant.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:19 pm
Diane wrote:
When I drive by country that is still in a wild state, I try to imagine how it was when Indians lived their. I'm certain that there would be little if any pollution and most native animal species would still be extant.

Your assumption about animal species is unwarranted. The archaeological evidence is that species diversity in the Americas took a nose dive after the arrival of humans just as it did everywhere else on the planet.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 10:32 pm
Wow. Diane used the word "extant." Conversationally, even. I mean, this just changes my entire perception of her. I am intimidated now. I never expected this of her. It has sorta turned everything upside down. I'm going to go read my Dr. Seuss again and suck on my blankie.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 10:56 pm
Very cool, dys!
0 Replies