Cat Keeping me awake.

Boston

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:00 am
Hi Everyone
I am new on here and hoping that someone may have some advise for me please?

I have a new Kitty that has been with me for 2 weeks and I got him from the SPCA I adore him to bits but the last few nights he has started to and I mean all night long when I say this, he keeps, I have no idea what you call it but he treads, pumps his paws up and down up and down on the bed and purring as he does it but for hours I have heard that it means he is happy? never the less what can I do to stop him doing it all the time please? there is no way he is going outside yet I do walk him on a leash but want to know if anyone has suggestions.
Oh and how long would you keep a new cat in the house? he is they think about 4 years old.

Bostons Mum lol
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,887 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Chai

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:06 am
Your cat is "making muffins" on you because he loves you.

I think it comes from a remembrance of kneading the mother for milk when feeding.

Try to get him to redirect the muffins to the back of your neck. It's a great massage.

I would keep a new cat in the house for the rest of his life.

I'm sure the shelter discussed with you all the advantages on your new pet being indoors.

Cats that live indoors lead much longer, happier lives. They are much less prone to disease and injury.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:28 am
Chai Tea is right Boston. A cat "making biscuits" as I call it, is because he is content! They are most content when nursing on their mother and it seems to be a natural thing for them to do.

When he does this, do you pick him up or push him away, etc.? I have a cat, Oreo, (he's a nurse kitty) that does this when I am not feeling well. Usually, I just pet him for a few minutes and lay him down next to me and he falls asleep.

How long have you had this guy? He just might not be completely settled in yet. And Chai Tea is sooooooooooo right! Keep the cat indoors. Safest place for him.

Good luck!
0 Replies

Boston

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:29 am
Thank you
But don't you think that its crawl to keep him in? I have had cats before but never had this happen.
I guess better to keep him in the under the wheels of a car I live in a Cul-de sac now but you never know? hopefuly one day he will have a garden to play in.
I do push him away in the end as its endless but he gets loads of cuddles also, one other thing is that he is so sweet then he attacks lol bites and clings to my arm scratching and yes he has scratchy posts and more toys then he knows what to do with.
Thank you
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:35 am
Boston,

If you live in the country and the cat could roam free and away from the road, etc., I'd say yes, let the cat do the natural thing and be in and out. But, if you are in a cul-de-sac with traffic, in town, etc., it is not cruel to keep the cat indoors. Trust me. I run a homeless cat shelter and I have some cats that absolutely refuse to step foot outside! I have others that absolutely will not step foot inside. It's not how long a cat lives that matters, Boston. It's how well that cat lives.

Is it a kitten? If it is a kitten and you keep it in the house he will quickly become a couch potato I am sure. They become a part of the family and develop their own routines.

There is a big difference between keeping a cat in the house and keeping a cat in a cage (as many unfortunately do). Believe me, your cat (what's his name BTW?) will make a playground of your house. They entertain themselves and will entertain you too.

The garden does sound nice. Something to look forward to!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:35 am
No it is not cruel to keep him inside.

On the contrary, it's cruel to subject them to all the diseases and dangers outside.

He will be both Happier and Healthier indoors.

I don't know where people get the idea that's cruel.

He must be fixed if he came from a shelter. He will not mate, he will not have to fight other cats, dogs, cruel people or the weather.

Inside he'll be clean content and cared for.
0 Replies

Boston

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:46 am
His name is Boston but I call him Bossie and they think he is about 4 years old?
He has had all his injections and I am getting him ready for his blood tests to enter the UK with me as I am british living in the US, I want to have him prepared to travel with me if I have to go back as the parents are getting on, just trying to get things in order as he will remain with me all his kitty years.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:49 am
Wonderful! I am so happy to hear you say he will remain with you all his kitty years.

Cats are a lifetime commitment; your commitment for their lifetime.

Bless you!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:49 am
May I recommend the BVT Kitty Relocation service?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:53 am
You have a Kitty Relocation service BVT? Do you mean like a cat transport system?
0 Replies

Boston

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:56 am
Lost me whats a BVT please
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 12:05 pm
Blueveinedthrobber. His userid Laughing .
0 Replies

Boston

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 12:08 pm
Oh lol missed that one.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 12:15 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
May I recommend the BVT Kitty Relocation service?

I ain't going to go there, and I ain't gonna go there!

Boston, I have three cats. One of them gets into this nighttime kneeding routine from time to time. I kick him off the bed. It's hard to get a good shot at him from under two blankets and a comforter, but he usually gets the idea.

Otherwise, the others are right. Indoor cats will outlast an outdoor by up to 15 years. If you insist on letting him out, though, wait till he's been in his present home for at least a month. Cats like the familiar, and if the outdoors where you are at is not familiar, Bossy is going to start looking for the old homestead.

Just in case he hasn't been neutered, get it done soon. An unneutered cat in the house, of either sex, is almost impossible to live with.
0 Replies

Boston

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 12:28 pm
Oh he has been neutered and yes he is staying home with me, I could not bare to lose him.
Plus he would have a long hike back neally 100 miles plus to where they found him but I hada cat years ago that travelled over Motorways and found the old home about 60 miles away and people say cats are stupid um I wonder who the stupid ones are Confused
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 12:39 pm
A cat is as smart as an octopus.

But an octopus won't make muffins on you.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 04:04 pm
playing the piano we call it

he's just so grateful to have a loving home I think and will settle and start to take you more for granted with time Laughing I'm sure it won't continue as he settles
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 04:56 pm
Definitely keep your cat inside. It just takes one car or one dog, know what I mean? Indoor cats definitely live longer. I'm not a cat fan but I don't want to see any animal hit by a car.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 09:01 pm
Don't kick the cat for kneading his paws on you, roger! It's a sign of supreme trust and happiness. They learn it when they're kittens nursing on their mama, and when they do it as adults, it's because they're so content to be with you. Didn't you know that? They always purr and sometimes even close their eyes when they're kneading their claws. Down South they call it "makin' biscuits."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 09:43 pm
Not to worry, Eva. Very next night, he's back to trusting and supreme happiness. Now, if the covers weren't in the way, I could get a good swing, and he wouldn't be so trusting next time.
0 Replies