Brain versus Body cells

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 02:24 pm
What makes them different?
I feel if we could understand the difference in the two, we could learn to apply it in real life situations...set out to organize colonies of people, all equal like body cells, working together with each other. And if we understood the difference, I think we could replicate it as humans...train some "brain cells" if you will. ACTUAL competent leaders, ya know?

because, i mean that's how nature does it....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 689 • Replies: 8
No top replies

fresco

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 02:56 pm
RoyalesThaRula

Sounds good fun !

But as for "understanding" the problem is that "similarity" and "difference" cannot be objectively defined...only with respect to specific function or superficial structure.
0 Replies

RoyalesThaRula

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:13 am
Our brain knows more than we know.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:39 am
I don't think anybody can know that ever as to why cells differentiate into diffierent kinds of cells. Why a certain cell will differentiate into becoming the arm or the eye or the brain only. All cells have the potential to become any of the body's organs and yet they differentiate. Before differentiation I think they are all the same but when time comes, they take on the various characteristics. They have to be programmed to perform that way obviously. But the question is why and who controls the programming. Anyways, this is biology and I don't know biology and I don't care to know either. Much too complicated for me.
0 Replies

Armageddon

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 04:32 pm
The most I know is that grey matter conducts electric spasms that result in thought, while body cells can not.
0 Replies

RoyalesThaRula

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 02:55 pm
Well here's a pretty big one....we don't re-generate brain cells. I feel that we can't do that, the same way we can't make water. The energy we take in goes to replenishing our body's cells, a refresher...yet how much goes from our mouth to our mind? Fish is a brain food? fish live in water? Our brain grows physically based only on our senses. This means that our brain doesnt require energy, it's possibilities are restricted only to the types of observations we're able to make.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 09:36 am
Really Armageddon? I didn't know that. Wow!
RoyalesThaRula, that's news to me. I thought that every cell in the body regenerates in a period of seven years. I didn't know that the brain cells are an exception to that rule. Is that because then memory would be held intact for longer? But that being the case, then why would some memory go away at all? Biology! Not only the terms are difficult but the subject is even more so. There is nothing more complicated than biology I think.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 09:55 am
You know what that means? It means that the electric impulses that rush through the brain may constitute thought, but they don't constitute memory. Interesting!
0 Replies

Armageddon

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 11:09 am
RoyalesThaRula wrote:
Well here's a pretty big one....we don't re-generate brain cells. I feel that we can't do that, the same way we can't make water. The energy we take in goes to replenishing our body's cells, a refresher...yet how much goes from our mouth to our mind? Fish is a brain food? fish live in water? Our brain grows physically based only on our senses. This means that our brain doesnt require energy, it's possibilities are restricted only to the types of observations we're able to make.

Actually, we do re-generate brain cells. Grey matter is constantly dying, being cleaned up, and replaced. All the cells do that. You can't expect a cell to stick around a person's entire life.

We call this regeneration learning.
0 Replies