The Quran on Human Embryonic Development

male

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 07:32 am
I have been asked to provide some proofs regarding that the Holy Quran is the words of God.

Read the following link

http://www.religionsonline.info/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=172&PN=1

Now we should try to restrain this topic only on discussion about this link so that we may not loose the basic subject.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,573 • Replies: 22
No top replies

neologist

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 08:31 am
I don't visit off site links unless there is sufficient reason in the text of the post to do so.

I want to read what you think.

Bye now.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:16 am
I would also like to know what male thinks. And just what does a piece of chewed gum have to do with the development of an embryo?
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 11:01 am
Neologist and Momma Angel,

I want to clarify one thing: when we present scientific facts from the Holy Qur'an, our objective is not to test the validity of the Glorious Qur'an - since the Book of Allah is the first and last criterion for us - but rather to convince non-Muslims with science and logic.

Regarding Embryology, Allah (which is the Arabic word for God) says: "
Man We did create from a quintessence (of clay);
Then We placed him as (a drop of) sperm in a place of rest, firmly fixed;
Then We made the sperm into a clot of congealed blood; then of that clot We made a (foetus) lump; then we made out of that lump bones and clothed the bones with flesh; then we developed out of it another creature. So blessed be Allah, the best to create!
"
[Glorious Qur'an 23:12-14]

In these verses Allah states that man is created from a small quantity of liquid which is placed in a place of rest, firmly fixed (well established or lodged) for which the Arabic word qaraarin makeen is used. The uterus is well protected from the posterior by the spinal column supported firmly by the back muscles. The embryo is further protected by the amniotic sac containing the amniotic fluid. Thus the foetus has a well protected dwelling place.
This small quantity of fluid is made into alaqah, meaning something which clings. It also means a leech-like substance. The alaqah is transformed into mudghahMomma Angel about chewed gum). Both these explanations are scientifically correct.

Question: did Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) - an unlettered man - have a microscope , 1400 years ago, to describe the embryological stages in such a precise manner?
No, Momma and Neo, the only logical explanation for it, is that Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) is God's Prophet and Messenger, that these verses were revealed to him by God, the All-Knowledgeable.

PS: Neo, the link provided by brother male is indeed an interesting one. Would you mind reading it?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 11:12 am
Thank you muslim1. But, let me ask you something, you are using the Quran to present scientific facts? It has been my experience with some that they do not look upon the Bible nor the Quran as a scientific book of any nature. How do you respond to that?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 11:54 am
muslim1 wrote:
Question: did Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) - an unlettered man - have a microscope , 1400 years ago, to describe the embryological stages in such a precise manner?

No, Muhammad didn't have a microscope. Maybe that's why his text fails to describe anything even close to what is actually happening in a pregnancy. The appearance of precision comes from your contemporary interpretation of the text, not from Muhammad's text itself.
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:20 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Thank you muslim1. But, let me ask you something, you are using the Quran to present scientific facts? It has been my experience with some that they do not look upon the Bible nor the Quran as a scientific book of any nature. How do you respond to that?

Good question. I would like to remind you, Momma, that the Holy Qur'an is not a "book of Science"… S-C-I-E-N-C-E; but it's a "book of Signs"… S-I-G-N-S; it's a book of Ayats (in Arabic) - and there are more than 6000 Signs (Ayats). Out of those Ayats, nearly a thousand speak about science, established scientific facts I mean.
As for the people whom you had experience with, even if they do not accept religious book, I think they will accept something that is scientifically established and logical, won't they? That's why I use the compatibility between the Glorious Qur'an and modern science to try to convince them.

I would like, Momma, to have your opinion on the question I mentioned in my last post:
muslim1 wrote:

And Allah knows best.
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:40 pm
Thomas wrote:
No, Muhammad didn't have a microscope. Maybe that's why his text fails to describe anything even close to what is actually happening in a pregnancy. The appearance of precision comes from your contemporary interpretation of the text, not from Muhammad's text itself.

Thank you Thomas for your comments.

I am afraid that what you described as "the failure of the Qur'an in describing anything even close to what is actually happening in a pregnancy" is not correct. Indeed, some eminent scientists acknowledge the accuracy of the embryological verses of the Holy Qur'an.

For example: Prof. (Dr.) Keith Moore, Professor of Embryology and Chairman of the Department of Anatomy at the University of Toronto, in Canada. He is one of the highest authorities in the field of Embryology, he authored the reference book "The Developing Human". In 1981, during the Seventh Medical Conference in Dammam, Saudi Arabia, Dr. Moore said, "It has been a great pleasure for me to help clarify statements in the Qur'an about human development. It is clear to me that these statements must have come to Muhammad from God or Allah, because almost all of this knowledge was not discovered until many centuries later. This proves to me that Muhammad must have been a messenger of God or Allah".

Another example: Prof. Tagatat Tejasen, Chairman of the Department of Anatomy at Chiang Mai University in Thailand, has spent a great amount of time on research of pain receptors. Initially he could not believe that the Qur'an mentioned this scientific fact 1400 years ago. He later verified the translation of this particular Qur'anic verse. Prof. Tejasen was so impressed by the scientific accuracy of the Qur'anic verse, that he converted (reverted) to Islam.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 01:27 pm
muslim1 wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Thank you Thomas for your comments.

I am afraid that what you described as "the failure of the Qur'an in describing anything even close to what is actually happening in a pregnancy" is not correct. Indeed, some eminent scientists acknowledge the accuracy of the embryological verses of the Holy Qur'an.

For example: Prof. (Dr.) Keith Moore, Professor of Embryology and Chairman of the Department of Anatomy at the University of Toronto, in Canada. He is one of the highest authorities in the field of Embryology, he authored the reference book "The Developing Human". In 1981, during the Seventh Medical Conference in Dammam, Saudi Arabia, Dr. Moore said, "It has been a great pleasure for me to help clarify statements in the Qur'an about human development. It is clear to me that these statements must have come to Muhammad from God or Allah, because almost all of this knowledge was not discovered until many centuries later. This proves to me that Muhammad must have been a messenger of God or Allah".

Another example: Prof. Tagatat Tejasen, Chairman of the Department of Anatomy at Chiang Mai University in Thailand, has spent a great amount of time on research of pain receptors. Initially he could not believe that the Qur'an mentioned this scientific fact 1400 years ago. He later verified the translation of this particular Qur'anic verse. Prof. Tejasen was so impressed by the scientific accuracy of the Qur'anic verse, that he converted (reverted) to Islam.

This is very interesting information you've provided here, Muslim1. Can you also provide the souce of such info? I'd like to read it.
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 01:47 pm
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
This is very interesting information you've provided here, Muslim1. Can you also provide the souce of such info? I'd like to read it.

Thank you very much, Jason, for your interest in my religion.

The following link gives you the sources (video tapes, conferences, books...) I took the info from:
http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Quran/Science/scientists.html

Hope this helps.

And Allah knows best.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 02:13 pm
There are hundreds of Islamic sourced references to this conversion.

Here is a link to a rebuttal.

http://answering-islam.org.uk/Responses/It-is-truth/chap08.htm
0 Replies

MuslimK

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 03:39 pm
Here are some links about Human Creation ::

Text File:
http://www.harunyahya.com/creation.php

Movie File:
http://www.harunyahya.com/m_video_detail.php?api_id=1249

VERY INTERESTING !
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 05:11 pm
Yes - most entertaining !

Following your link you can get this:

http://www.jesuswillreturn.com/

I thought you guys didn't go for in for the "Jesus as Messiah Story" :wink:
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 06:19 pm
MuslimK wrote:
Here are some links about Human Creation ::

Text File:
http://www.harunyahya.com/creation.php

Movie File:
http://www.harunyahya.com/m_video_detail.php?api_id=1249

VERY INTERESTING !

Is gullibility a virtue in islam?
0 Replies

male

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:48 pm
Very nice work Muslim1. You have helped many Non-Muslims who have and will read this thread to understand Islam.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 11:26 pm
I for one gained an understanding.
Muslims are far less logical than I gave them credit for.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 12:16 am
muslim1 wrote:
Then We made the sperm into a clot of congealed blood; then of that clot We made a (foetus) lump; then we made out of that lump bones and clothed the bones with flesh; then we developed out of it another creature........

The sperm does not turn into congealed (see http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/congeal ) blood.

The fetus is covered with flesh very early on in pregnancy; not bones first then flesh as you state.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 02:12 am
muslim1 wrote:

I want to clarify one thing: when we present scientific facts from the Holy Qur'an, our objective is not to test the validity of the Glorious Qur'an - since the Book of Allah is the first and last criterion for us - but rather to convince non-Muslims with science and logic.

Regarding Embryology, Allah (which is the Arabic word for God) says: "
Then We made the sperm into a clot of congealed blood; then of that clot We made a (foetus) lump; then we made out of that lump bones and clothed the bones with flesh; then we developed out of it another creature. So blessed be Allah, the best to create!
"
[Glorious Qur'an 23:12-14]

Ok, I could not get male's link to work.

muslim 1 (and anyone else who cares to answer),

Are there any other words from the Qur'an itself regarding Embryology or have you provided the complete verses in the quote above?
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 05:57 pm
flushd wrote:
Are there any other words from the Qur'an itself regarding Embryology or have you provided the complete verses in the quote above?

Thank you, flushd, for your important question.

There are other verses dealing with Embryology in the Glorious Qur'an:

- "Now let man but think from what he is created!
He is created from a drop emitted -
Proceeding from between the back bone and the ribs."

[Glorious Qur'an 86:5-7]

- "And made his progeny from a quintessence of the nature of a fluid despised"
[Glorious Qur'an 32:8]

- "Verily We created man from a drop of mingled sperm."
[Glorious Qur'an 76:2]

- "That He did create in pairs - male and female,
from a seed when lodged (in its place)."

[Glorious Qur'an 53:45-46]

- "Was he not a drop of sperm emitted (in lowly form)?
"Then did he become a clinging clot; then did (Allah) make and fashion (him) in due proportion.
"And of him He made two sexes, male and female."

[Glorious Qur'an 75:37-39]

- "He makes you, in the wombs of your mothers, in stages, one after another, in three veils of darkness."
[Glorious Qur'an 39:6]

- "We created you out of dust, then out of sperm, then out of a leech-like clot, then out of a morsel of flesh, partly formed and partly unformed that We may manifest (Our Power) to you."
[Glorious Qur'an 22:5]

And Allah knows best.
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 05:59 pm
real life wrote:
The sperm does not turn into congealed (see http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/congeal ) blood.

I thank you very much for your post and appreciate your precise remark.

In this verse (14 of Chapter Al-Muminun), Abdullah Yusuf Ali translated the Arabic word alaqah as "congealed blood".
alaqah has basically three meanings:
1) Something which clings.
2) A leech-like substance.
Both descriptions are scientifically acceptable as in the very early stages the foetus clings to the wall and also appears to resemble the leech in shape. It also behaves like a leech (blood sucker) and acquires its blood supply from the mother through the placenta.
3) A blood clot. During this alaqah stage, which spans the third and fourth week of pregnancy, the blood clots within closed vessels. Hence the embryo acquires the appearance of a blood clot in addition to acquiring the appearance of a leech.

real life, you can re-visit the link I provided (in page 1 of the thread) to find out that renowned, eminent and distinguish scientists acknowledge the accuracy of the Quranic verses dealing with Embryology.

And Allah knows best.
0 Replies