THE ELLPUS GUIDE TO FREEZING A DOG.

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 05:01 am
My nutty Greyhound (Guinness).

She adamantly refuses to wear any type of greyhound coat (tried god knows how many times...she just plants her feet into the ground and refuses to move)....but even in a blizzard, she is like a little hot water bottle.

She must have anti-freeze in the veins......

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1766299004594978346
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,500 • Replies: 28
No top replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 05:06 am
well, it is impossible to freeze a bullet. i should try that one day, it's been awfully cold here. i wish i had four legs though.

our Krispin, a cocker spaniel, does that whenever we open the door to the backyard - as if he wasn't out for days. He runs in a circle on the lawn, now there's a circle of stomped mud where no grass grows - very much like in a circus where they show horses and bears on bicycles and such.
and the old fool is almost twelve.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 05:11 am
Cocker Spaniel,eh? Buggers go on, and on, and on......do they ever rest?

My nutter is now eleven, but this was taken last year, when she was only ten.

She might calm down, one day. Ideal dog really. She does about five minutes of this, sniffs around for a bit, has a number one and two, then sleeps for twelve hours.

Then it all starts again.......
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 05:19 am
yes, but the day she calms down her four legs will be stiff and pointing to the ceiling.

our old fool does very much the same, dunno what they see in it? nobody would be able to get me to run like that. for fun. strange creatures.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 05:39 am
In order to freeze a dog here today, all that would be required is to let them out, and then not let them back in. Colder'n a well digger's ass, colder'n a witches tit, colder'n the balls on a brass monkey . . . IT'S BLOODY COLD ! ! !
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 06:52 am
Bloody cold here too, Set.

......and it's forecast to get worse. The weather is going to come in direct from Siberia over the next few days, so I shall be wearing my thermal groin guard until Monday or so.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 06:55 am
I step outside for a smoke, and it's been hell. The temperature this morning was 12 below, which ain't much on the Feedlebodget scale, but is bloody cold on the Centigrade scale, never mind the wind.

You know it's cold when the dogs run out, come to skidding halt, and then pee while running back for the door . . .
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 07:02 am
we've had the same, set. -13 the other day, little better today. It's so cold you wouldn't even throw a dog outside, as the slovak saying goes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 07:19 am
It is comforting to know that Slovaks do not abuse their dogs . . . at least not in cold weather. I let the dogs out first thing this morning, and then have been out again for a smoke . . . i ask the dogs if they want to go out, and they look at me as though i'd lost my mind . . .
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 07:26 am
dagmaraka wrote:
yes, but the day she calms down her four legs will be stiff and pointing to the ceiling.

our old fool does very much the same, dunno what they see in it? nobody would be able to get me to run like that. for fun. strange creatures.

Our cocker lived until he was 18, and we had to have him put down then. I grew up with him, he was older than I was. I was devastated when we had to do it. I had never known life without him.

Anon
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 07:44 am
I was exactly the same with my first dog. He was 17, and was killed whilst chasing the Ice cream van because the man used to give him a free dollop.

The man, however, was on holiday and a relief guy was looking after the round. He drove at twice the speed, and wasn't aware of his special canine customer, who always like to be first in the queue.

Still, it's the way he would have wanted to go.....

Like a human pegging out whilst on the nest, I suppose.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 08:13 am
Anon-Voter wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:

Our cocker lived until he was 18, and we had to have him put down then. I grew up with him, he was older than I was. I was devastated when we had to do it. I had never known life without him.

Anon

seems it will be the case with this one, too. he has the luck of the dumb. he is perfectly deaf by now, loves to sit down in the middle of the street and gaze upon oncoming cars. he literally stares them down. so far all have stopped. when he feels like it, he walks away. sometime he has to be pulled away by his ear - thankgod they're so long.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 08:22 am
dagmaraka wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:

Anon

seems it will be the case with this one, too. he has the luck of the dumb. he is perfectly deaf by now, loves to sit down in the middle of the street and gaze upon oncoming cars. he literally stares them down. so far all have stopped. when he feels like it, he walks away. sometime he has to be pulled away by his ear - thankgod they're so long.

That's too funny, and so typical. We actually started out with twin black cockers, Topsy and Turvy. Topsy, the female, got run over because she was like yours, only someone couldn't stop. Poor Turvy was stone deaf, and going blind. That's why we finally had to have him put down. I still remember them running around me in circles when I was very little.

Anon
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 08:24 am
Ah, Parker the Cocker had been deaf too. I gather cockers are particularly prone to many ear infections..

My business partner found him in a grocery store parking lot (thus, Parker) surrounded by honking automobiles, scooped him up, searched for days by various means for the owner, and had herself a new old dog for a few years. Ah, miss that sweetie pie. He would wait for her by the door she went out of forever if necessary.

Lordie, I love your video, it's fabulous.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 08:27 am
Loved it, too. You should have enlist Guiness into greyhound races, she could have brought you home some cash.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 08:40 am
We had a Greyhound for a short period of time. He would sometimes wear one of RP's tee shirts. No, I didn't get the 2 confused. Dunno how warm it kept the pup, tho'.

Great vid.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 08:43 am
Fortunatley Dag, she was too short in the leg to be trained as a racer. The training involves some not very nice things (hare coursing etc) so she never became a fantatical chaser of anything that resembled one of dlowan's cousins.

However, she had four squirrels in the first week she was let off the lead, so I put a bloomin' great bell on her collar, so that they could have a bit of a warning as to the imminent arrival of a nutter.

She hasn't had one since!

sidenote.....We were strolling through the woods the other day and a squirrel dropped onto her head, bounced off and landed on the ground. Ms G was so stunned that she just stood there and stared at it, whilst the squirrel looked at her, thought "Bloody hell!", and ran off back up the tree again.
My dog doesn't like me telling anyone this story, as it causes her some embarrassment. If she asks, I haven't said anything, OK?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 08:45 am
OK.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 08:46 am
Our American Bulldog has very short hair and is not a big fan of the cold. I could never find a dog coat big enough to fit her wide chest until I remembered my husband had a sweater vest that his mother made for him and he hated. It fits perfectly and the dog loves it. On cold days she goes to it and waits for one of us to stick her legs and head into it. My husband is a little embarassed to be seen with her all decked out and we have to make sure his mother never sees our use for her handiwork, but the dog is happy.

I also love the video - it amazes me that I can get up in the morning and after reading the world headlines I can watch a video of a dog in England running happily in the snow taken by a person I have grown fond of, but have never met. How can there be war in a world like this? We should all just be sending each other videos of our pets and family. Sorry, don't mean to get off topic...
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:01 am
GW, you've touched on something that I suppose the vast majority of A2K regulars would readily agree with.
It's a very strange and marvellous thing, our little virtual world.

I can come on here, and be as silly as I like, or ask/read about anything at all, and get the feeling that I know most of you, like I would know my friends down at the Pub.

I shall soon be coming to you (and other like minded garden lovers, but you are the expert) for advice soon, about a massive project, turning 3.5 hectares of rough pasture into a garden, orchard and whatever else that may spring to mind.
Yet I've never met any of you in real life! Strange, but nice.

I might try the sweater tactic on my dog, but she honestly doesn't need it, as she absolutely adores the cold, as you can see.
Maybe I'll do it for MY benefit. She'll still refuse to move though, I'll bet.
0 Replies