Ambergris, do you know what this is....?

littlek

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:07 pm
Ya learn something new every day.... Ambergris is used in perfumes or as a perfume. I thought it was a type of amber (a tree resin product), but it is totally unrelated.

Ambergris is basically, sperm whale trace. You know how hawks and coyotes vomit up the undigestible parts of their food? So do sperm whales. The stuff the eject is fould and gross, but after it floats in the sun, on the ocean, for many years, it becomes ambergris - worth a small fortune too.....

BBC on ambergis
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,802 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:09 pm
There was nothing the 19th century whalers prized more highly--a good haul of ambergris could allow all the ships officers to retire, or buy their own ships--and allow the sailors to get famously drunk, until they were robbed and went lookin' for a new berth . . .
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:23 pm
currently, it goes for $20 per gram.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:24 pm
It was worth a good deal more a hundred and fifty years ago, relatively speaking . . .
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:30 pm
I pine for all my missed oportunities for ambergris searching. And, recently, I even found some similar stuff which I didn't take with me.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:33 pm
The article wrote:
The hard beaks of giant squid, a main source of food for the whale, have often been found inside lumps of ambergris.

I found that quite interesting. Imagine breaking open a chunk of a ambergris and discovering something like that...

"Hey, Kris, what the hell is this thing inside the ambergris?"

"Let me have a look. Oh my God! I believe that is the hard beak of a giant squid!"
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:37 pm
Wouldn't it actually be cool to have the chance to say that!?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:40 pm
I'm so curious about the smell. Aged whale vomit... mmm...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:41 pm
Have you smelled amber? Ambergris is similar. If my recollection is right.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:44 pm
I never trusted aubergine ...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:47 pm
Seems like it has its own smell... I've smelled amber, and "piney" would cover it pretty well.

Quote:
There are many formulas for so-called amber blends in the various perfumery guides. None of them seemed even close to the Ambergris that we had experienced. So the blending elves in the back room went to work. After months of aging, and tweaking, they found a blend that they love. To our noses, it smells like a blend between the two supposedly true ambergris specimens that we sampled. Whether it smells like true Ambergris or not, I'm not certain...it doesn't match Arctander's description. But it is lovely! Soft, sweet, gentle. The lucky few who received samples before I got this page updated and put it online, have called wanting to order more. What's the secret? Benzoin, Vanilla, Vetiver, Rose, Clary Sage...sweet warming lovely oils, in a delicious blend.

http://www.naturesgift.com/natural_perfumes.htm
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:48 pm
But, tagine is pretty good.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:51 pm
I have a plan. Whenever my cat throws up in the future I am going to save the vomit. (After carefully examining it for mouse beaks) Then I will put the fluid in jars, date them, and put them on shelves in the basement.

Who knows, maybe years from now a new pefrume will be made from "Catergris" and a small fortune will sitting, waiting, in my basement.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:55 pm
You need to float the vomit in salt water, in a sunny location, not store it in jars in the basement - I think.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:57 pm
I have sun in my basement. Not a problem.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:59 pm
littlek wrote:
You need to float the vomit in salt water, in a sunny location, not store it in jars in the basement - I think.

This had me giggling for about five minutes straight.

Oof, I'm off again...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 09:03 pm
really. Hmmm....
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 09:05 pm
I found this one more amusing...

littlek wrote:
And, every once in a while, my cat whips me saucily with his tail.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 09:08 pm
Well....? It's true!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 09:28 pm
That initial article said it was banned in the US under some endangered species thingie -- why, though? It seems like it's pretty separated from any harm to the animal. (If they kill one for it, if they get anything at all they'll some foul-smelling bile that has to be floated on the sea for 10 years or more...)
0 Replies