Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 971 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 05:20 am
Been expecting this one.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 07:06 am
yeah, it exploded into the media this morning. online editions of the papers have it, not sure if it made it into print (i rely on online editions anyway). wondering if the report got any press in the States?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 07:26 am
Nothing when I googled.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 07:52 am
Has been in the (European) print media, at least in some.
(I've mentioned the report earlier already in the EU-thread and the Swiss-CIA thread [that later].)

The latest news now:

Quote:
No 'formal' evidence of suspected CIA prisons: investigator

Jan 24, 2006, 12:58 GMT

Strasbourg - Europe's top investigator into alleged secret CIA prisons in Europe said in a report Tuesday there was evidence that the United States was 'outsourcing' torture to European countries but there was no 'formal evidence' of the existence of secret CIA prisons on the continent.

'There is a great deal of coherent, convergent evidence pointing to the existence of a system of `relocation' or `outsourcing' of torture,' Council of Europe investigator Dick Marty said in a report presented to the human rights watchdog in Strasbourg.

Marty also said it was 'highly unlikely that European governments, or at least their intelligence services, were unaware' of the US practice.

On the alleged existence of secret CIA prisons in eastern Europe, Marty said however: 'There is no formal, irrefutable evidence of the existence of secret CIA detention centres in Romania, Poland or any other country.'

The Swiss senator was presenting the conclusions of his nearly three months of investigations into media reports of US rendition of prisoners to countries tolerating torture and of the existence of secret CIA detention centres in eastern Europe.

The Swiss investigator stressed that there were numerous indications from several reliable sources which would justify carrying out further investigations into the prison allegations.

Marty also said there was evidence pointing to illegal transport of prisoners in Europe, something which had not been denied by officials. The remark was in apparent reference to the Islamic cleric Abu Omar in Italy and the German national Khaled El Masri.

© 2006 dpa - Deutsche Presse-Agentur
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:03 am
i doubt any formal evidence ever will be produced, but who knows.

I know I wouldn't believe my government if they claimed they were not involved in any way. We have a military airport where U.S. planes often re-fuel and I'm sure some of them were at least carrying prisoners.
And I'm not gonna take their word for granted on the secret camps either. I'll wait for the report, but am skeptical it will turn out any proofs.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:08 am
dagmaraka wrote:
I'll wait for the report, but am skeptical it will turn out any proofs.

The full "Information Memorandum II"
Alleged secret detentions in Council of Europe member states is online since two days.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 01:19 pm
yes, that's about the setup of the temporary committee. i mean the report that the committee will actually come up with - god knows when, in a few months or more i'm sure.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 07:47 pm
Hmmm.... I guess that should have been obvious.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 10:22 pm
Interesting that so much of this has been documented by dear old obsessed anorak wearing plane spotters!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 01:05 pm
The link below provides free access to a collection of official materials from the Council of Europe relating to allegations of the existence of CIA detention centres within Europe. These include Council of Europe press releases, statements and reports from 2005/6.

Alleged secret detentions in Council of Europe member states
0 Replies