The Alphabet game

Dutchy

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 11:40 pm
Britain and Australia have similar attitudes when it comes to shifting places of abode. You move in or out, no ones concern, at least in the big cities but it is different in country Australia where you are very dependent on your nearest neighbours.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 02:53 am
Country areas in England are very different, since they are mainly inhabited by middle-class blow-ins from the cities, the price of property is high and neighbours usually ignored.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 03:01 pm
Distance is the main factor in Australia when it comes to neighbourly relations in the Country. Your nearest neighbours maybe 50 miles away and good communication and relations is important in case of emergency.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 04:23 pm
Everyone in Britain or Holland is so close to everyone else that we have to ignore each other to survive.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 07:05 pm
Fasting, which is all the rage at this toime of year, is highly recommended by some doctors and those who practice askesis but I could never see any sense in it myself.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 12:06 am
Going to the Drive-In movies has become a thing in the past, were there once a dozen in our city, they have now all been removed and become housing estates.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 02:00 am
Have always wanted to go to a Drive-In Movie, they have a slightly tacky fifties America romance about them, in the dark southern nights when cicadas drown out the soundtrack.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 05:57 am
I used to enjoy the drive in movies with my car which was called the 'sin bin', problem in winter was the windows fogged up and you had to make your own entertainment. Smile
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 06:29 am
Just don't see that was a problem; but I envisage an open car in a warm summer night.
0 Replies

malek

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 06:54 am
Keeping the a/c on would have stopped the windows from fogging, I reckon.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 02:24 pm
Let you know the 'entertainment' created was a far better solution.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 03:33 pm
Maybe so, movies were often crap in those days.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:15 pm
Never mind the movies, as long as the birds could act and perform.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:19 pm
On a different note, I often think I don't need to travel much more, having seen so many different cultures and countries, especially with globalisation making places more alike.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:23 pm
Pleasant scenery and cultural centres (museums, art galleries etc) always attracted me to other countries, not the people so much, as in most cases I couldn't speak their language.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:24 pm
Quite a lot of the scenery and art can be easier viewed on your computer nowadays, without irritating crowds or insect life.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 05:50 pm
Rather cynical view, don't you think, girl? Laughing
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 06:18 pm
Some might think so but I am not one of them as I have come to the conclusion that going places is stultifying to the brain, narrows the arteries and costs a sodding fortune.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 03:16 am
Talking about tripping I'm off next Saturday to our beautiful west coast where the fish are always biting. Think about us having a fire on the beach, sitting under the stars, cooking freshly caught lobster and frying fish fillets on the plate, downed with any amount of cold beer. Not stuffing my brains, hardening the arteries or costing me a fortune. Life is there to be lived and that is exactly what I intend doing, and if it kills me, what a way to go. Laughing
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:29 am
Undoubtedly a good plan, are you going north or south of Perth? I drove all the way to the southwest corner a few years ago in my friends' campervan, but I believe the northerly coast is even more extraordinary, though with fewer vineyards.
0 Replies