What if Hamas wins?

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 03:10 pm
JERUSALEM - Israel, the United States and the international community are bracing for the possibility of a Hamas victory in the Palestinian parliamentary election Wednesday. Here is a rundown of what could happen if the Islamic militant group wins.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/world/3606192.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,605 • Replies: 60
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 04:01 pm
Wel ok not much interest but here's my thinking. Hamas will form a coalition government with Abbas' Fatah essentially dividing authority akin to Saudi Arabia where the Hamas (muslim) sector will retain all domestic authority (education-law-religion-domestic affaris) while allowing the Fatah to carry the international responsibilites (especially negoiating with Israel) in effect rendering a bifurcated government. In simple terms chaos.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 04:10 pm
Ok, Hamas gets the rocket launchers; Fatah gets waterworks and garbage collection.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 04:12 pm
No roger, Hamas gets the rocket launchers and the garbage collection, Fatah gets to bring the donuts to the meetings with the Israelites. (there is no water works)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 04:22 pm
the US is forced to intervene, haliburton gets every no bid contract. Cheney gets more new body parts and a buick, and bush pushes through the new super patriot act III so he can send everyone who objects to his third term to a gulag.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 04:44 pm
You're right, Dys. No water works.

Let's not even think about that, okay, bvt?
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 06:56 pm
The stupid monotheistic religions are a pain in the ass. Let them kill themselves till all the fanatics are dead then start negotiations. Till then one or the other side will try and upset the cart anyway.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:35 pm
Krishna bless you, talk
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:39 pm
What if Hamas wins?

They'll go to the quarter finals and play Hezbollah
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 08:12 pm
i like hamas

it's tasty on crackers
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 08:31 pm
djjd62 wrote:
i like hamas

it's tasty on crackers

poopity head!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 08:55 pm
phew djjd, am i glad you came along and said something even more inane, otherwise he'da called me poopity head instead... :wink:
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 07:11 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
the US is forced to intervene, haliburton gets every no bid contract. Cheney gets more new body parts and a buick, and bush pushes through the new super patriot act III so he can send everyone who objects to his third term to a gulag.

friggin idiot!!! gosh!!!
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:47 am
This spreading of Democracy don't seem to be going the way I imagine it was intended.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:07 am
Dys
The world's history is full of government (and religious) leaders who started out as terrorists. The Israeli leadership is one of the latest examples. The older ones, living and dead, were mostly terrorists against the British. Israel's only hope is reducing the influence of the Likud Party fundamentalists.

Yaser Arafat failed as a leader because he couldn't evolve from being a terrorist to becoming a political leader. He failed and did the Palestinians great harm.

We must hope that Hamas will have learned the lesson of Arafat's failure.

BBB
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:13 am
There's a chance Hamas could reform itself and renounce violence -- if the US and Israel don't reflexively and immediately cut them out of negotiations.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:25 am
Re: Dys
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
The world's history is full of government (and religious) leaders who started out as terrorists. The Israeli leadership is one of the latest examples. The older ones, living and dead, were mostly terrorists against the British. Israel's only hope is reducing the influence of the Likud Party fundamentalists.

Yaser Arafat failed as a leader because he couldn't evolve from being a terrorist to becoming a political leader. He failed and did the Palestinians great harm.

BBB

I don't find myself agreeing with you often, but this is a pretty accurate assessment if I ever saw one.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:30 am
John Creasy
John Creasy wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

I don't find myself agreeing with you often, but this is a pretty accurate assessment if I ever saw one.

I'm so glad to learn you are getting smarter.

BBB :wink: :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 12:24 pm
According to exit polls, Fatah won more than 42 percent of the vote and Hamas more than 34 percent, Third Way, a party led by former Finance Minister Salam Fayyad, came in third.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 12:28 pm
Walter
Walter Hinteler wrote:
According to exit polls, Fatah won more than 42 percent of the vote and Hamas more than 34 percent, Third Way, a party led by former Finance Minister Salam Fayyad, came in third.

Thanks for the update, Walter. Since no party received a majority vote, I wonder what sort of coalition will form to govern.

BBB
0 Replies