Questions about my new Sony Cybershot DSC W7

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:23 am
I have begun familiarizing myself with my new toy, and think I'm going to like it a whole lot. But I do have a couple of questions.

The first is: does keeping the memory stick in the camera damage anything? I got the Memory Stick Pro because I want large capacity, and the instructions say to keep the memory stick in the little plastic envelope provided. But that would be a nuisance, considering how easy it is to lose something that tiny, not to mention grabbing the camera for a get-it-now shot only to find that I have to stop and replace the memory stick.

The second is less important, but still... I tried setting the date & time, and somehow got it stuck on Jan 1 2005. Naturally I want to change it, but the manual doesn't say how. Anyone know how? Phoenix - you said your husband had a 7. Can you help me out?

My only negative so far is the manual: first there's the "Quick Start" sort of sheet, and then the manual itself. Unfortunately the manual is on the skimpy side, and anything on the Start sheet is omitted from the manual which simply refers the user to the Start sheet. Which is a decidedly awkward back-and-forthing.

Anyway, I've been taking picturees of some of my paintings, and later I'll load them into the computer - is that download or upload, BTW? I'm really excited. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,339 • Replies: 26
No top replies

sublime1

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:29 am
I have the DSCW1 and it has always had a memory stick in. I haven't had any problems.

To change the time turn the wheel to setup and scroll down to the second briefcase. That should give you a time set option.

That is if its the same setup as mine.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:38 am
Tomkitten- I know. I hate that "Read this First" sheet. The information really should be reiterated in the manual.

In the "Read It First" sheet, on #2, it gives step by step directions on changing the time. If you got rid of the "read it first" sheet, let me know, and I will type out the instructions.

I don't remember how I did it, but my first round of pictures had the time printed right on the picture, which I did not want. I got rid of that, but could not tell you how.

I keep my memory stick in the camera. I have never heard of problems with doing that. Oh, the manual is the same for the 7 as the 5. The only difference in the camera is the amount of megapixels, and the color of the camera.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:56 am
I've got a Sony as well. Always have a memory stick in - with a few extras in my bag in case I'm in the mood for 200+ photos on an afternoon.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 08:03 pm
Questions about my new Sony Cybershot
Phoenix - As I understood the instructions in Step 2 you can set the date & time from the original whatever it was when I first turned on the camera. But I still can't figure out how to make changes; no matter what I press or turn or breathe on I can't find a starting point for the operation. I must be missing something in the back-and-forth... Confused Confused
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 08:08 pm
Setup 2
Clock Set: Sets the camera's internal clock and calendar.
0 Replies

MV

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 06:29 pm
I got a Cyber-shot a few weeks ago.
Is there any way to change the amount of pictures you can get on a memory stick?
I can't figure it out.
Thank you
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 07:36 am
What model do you have? Mine is a DSC W7, and the manual is the same for the DSC 7 & the DSC5 If either of these is your model, p 22 there is a chart which will tell you how many images you can record on the internal memory (32MB) or various sizes of Memory Sticks.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 07:43 am
MV wrote:
I got a Cyber-shot a few weeks ago.
Is there any way to change the amount of pictures you can get on a memory stick?
I can't figure it out.
Thank you

The only way that you can get more pictures on a given memory stick is by lowering the picture quality. (See page 22 in your manual). You probably won't notice the difference if you are using the pictures to E Mail, or make 4x6 prints. If you are looking to make enlargements, stick to the higher quality (but less pictures in a memory stick) setting.
0 Replies

MV

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:36 am
But I don't know how to change it.
What am I missing?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:54 am
OK- I played around with my camera, and came up with this. Turn the camera on. Hit the "Garbage Pail" button on the bottom of the back of the camera. You will see a list of numbers- 5, 3.2, 3m, 1m. VGA (E mail)
You can use the up and down buttons on the circular thingy to get to the number that you want. The lower the number, (and the lower the quality), the more pictures that you will get. Then hit the button in the middle of the circular thingy to set.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:55 am
Step 4 in your "Read This First" sheet gives instructions for selecting image size.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:57 am
Tomkitten wrote:
Step 4 in your "Read This First" sheet gives instructions for selecting image size.

I really hate that "Read this first" sheet. That would be ok by itself, but that information ought to be listed again in the manual.
0 Replies

MV

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 04:24 pm
I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I turn it on (having it in camera mode on the upper dial), hit the delete key and get nothing on the screen.
If I put it on the movie mode, I get
640 (fine)
640 (standard)

But nothing on the camera mode. Confused

Is there something wrong with the camera?
0 Replies

MV

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 09:50 am
No one?
Confused
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 09:55 am
Strange- Is just tried mine with the camera on, and the screen both on and off, and it worked both ways.
0 Replies

MV

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 10:09 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Strange- Is just tried mine with the camera on, and the screen both on and off, and it worked both ways.

I'm thinking there is something wrong with the camera. Confused Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:35 pm
I tried with the camera setting and it shows the screen with focus-centering dots, then hitting Delete displays a list of sizes by megapixels. Sounds like something's funny with your camera.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:38 pm
A new question: What do "Camera 1" and "Camera 2" mean?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 03:13 pm
Re: Questions about my new Sony Cybershot DSC W7
Tomkitten wrote:
A new question: What do "Camera 1" and "Camera 2" mean?

Beats me. I am looking at the manual, pages 44 & 48, and I can't make head or tail of it! I think that I really have to study it.
0 Replies