Curious questions re cats

Chai

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:52 pm
Ok, ok, I understand, and even laugh at, all the "cats are the spawn of satan jokes" I understand it's all in good fun. I've made a few "cat in the dryer jokes myself.

That said, I do have cats, I like dogs ok, but wouldn't ever get one to be part of the family....

My question, seriously, is...

Why is it OK for people, in everyday life to look you in the eye and tell you "I hate cats", when most people wouldn't ever think of just saying "I can't stand dogs"

I dunno, it's just kinda strange the way someone feels they can make this blanket statement that's actually pretty ignorant

I think it'd be pretty funny if someone with children said to me "I hate cats" and I replied, "well I hate kids, especially yours"

guess that wouldn't go over to well, huh?

Hey, cats may be the spawn of satan....dogs eat their poop....it all evens out.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,718 • Replies: 26
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:53 pm
hnh, good point.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:56 pm
And what about the whole allergic to cats thing? There's a percentage of people who are allergic to cats (I think it's around 10%). But, way more people than that percentage SAY that they're allergic to cats. Why? It's like a club.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:57 pm
I'm bi -- I love cats, I love dogs.

I see about as much anti-dog sentiment in everyday life as anti-cat sentiment.

Here, it trends heavily anti-cat.

I blame Craven.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:07 pm
I found one site (about.com) that says only 2% of the US pop is allergic to cats! One in 50 people? Not from what I hear.

I have both a cat and a dog. When people come to the house, many more are frightened of the dog than of the cat, but the eventual outcome is that people seem evenly split when it comes to favoring one or the other.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:10 pm
I can't stand dogs.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:11 pm
<gasp>
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:17 pm
Cats rule! It seems that you either love cats or you hate cats. Why? I don't know. But it seems people can more or less take or leave dogs.

I have tried having dogs with the cats but it has never worked out.

I like your response about I hate kids, Chai Tea. When someone tells me they are bringing me a cat because they are moving and can't have cats at their new place I always ask them if they can have their kids there? Go figure! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 02:20 am
hehee...

It might have something to do with dogs having a greater chance of inflicting pain. I've tried sic'ing my cats on people, but they just sit there looking at me like I'm retarded.
With a dog, a snake, or even a bird, it is much easier to bully the hater into quiet tolerance.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 06:18 am
much like children, i can tolerate both dogs and cats

as long as they are somebody elses
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 08:16 am
we are just animal lovers. We have dogs and cats. We have 2 house cats that get along well with the dogs.
I recently had a sweet little cat shot and killed by some "mighty hunters". My wife, unknowing that hunters were about, let our cat out. The part I have trouble dealing with is that after they shot the cat and my wife heard the dying cat give its sickening last calls for help, I confronted the hunters and asked why they did such a horrible thing.
They anwered that they were sorry but they didnt know that it was our cat. I told em to get the hell out cancelled their clubs" welcome to hunt" , and I pressed charges and am still mad as hell at these morons .My wife is loaded with guilt, as am I for not telling her that there were gonna be some hunters out as I left home that morning. That way maybe "lucky' would still be alive.

Animals are animals, as far as pets, we are their pack leaders and , when somebodys most lame excuse is "oh I didnt know it was your cat" becomes just another way of saying "I cosider all cats as targets for my shotgun"
Its times like that that I really think that were just a bunch of baboons with cool sneakers.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 10:34 am
Farmerman,

I am so sorry about your cat! Your poor wife! I know that guilt feeling. Please tell her I understand and that to remember she was just loving the cat and letting it live it's good life. It's the hunters that are at fault, not her!

I applaud you for turning them in and for not beating the crap out of them! If somebody had told me that I'm afraid I wouldn't have handled it that well. Not your cat?! Oh, so they just shoot cats as long as they don't know whose it is. Rolling Eyes Makes me mad!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 10:44 am
Oh sh!t, that's really awful Farmer.

That's what I mean....These hunters felt excused because they didn't know it was your cat.

Would the mighty hunters have shot a dog then made the excuse "I didn't know it was your dog"

Like a dog belongs to someone, or even if it didn't, obviously deserves to live.

A cat on the other hand, can get shot as if it was no more than a tin can on a fence.

God that makes me so mad.

I'm glad you pressed charges my friend.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 11:15 am
There was a case in Wisconsin a few years ago where two hunters shot a cow! A black and white Holstein cow! They told the farmer they thought it was a deer. Rolling Eyes Well, come to find out, the hunters had never even seen a live deer!

After that incident, during hunting season, the farmers would paint COW on the side of their cows in big red letters.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 03:26 pm
I've always tried to keep cats indoors during hunting season. One year one of my stepsons asserted his independence by letting his independent cat roam at will.

The cat did not survive. Stepson was devastated.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 04:18 pm
Thanks for making the guilt feel even worse Letty
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 04:19 pm
Farmerman - that is terrible! It makes me want to scream, I definitely don't have anything intelligent to say about the whole thing.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 05:52 pm
I'm the same as farmerman. I can love & admire just about any animal, though horses, for some unknown reason, scare the **** out of me! (Something to do with their eyes, I think. Laughing ) However, I can admire them .... from afar!

(I've said it on another thread already. I'm really sorry about what happened to your cat, farmerman. I would be distraught, too. I assumed that it was a sort of "accident" Shocked Rolling Eyes, not intentional ... though whichever, it's totally unforgivable. Sad Idiots!)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 06:42 pm
Re: Curious questions re cats
Chai Tea wrote:
My question, seriously, is...

Why is it OK for people, in everyday life to look you in the eye and tell you "I hate cats", when most people wouldn't ever think of just saying "I can't stand dogs"

I dunno, it's just kinda strange the way someone feels they can make this blanket statement that's actually pretty ignorant

I think it'd be pretty funny if someone with children said to me "I hate cats" and I replied, "well I hate kids, especially yours"

Hey, cats may be the spawn of satan....dogs eat their poop....it all evens out.

I know what you're talking about, Chai. There are some folk who absolutely despise cats. And treat them as though they really do believe they're evil. I've often wondered why, myself.

My hunch is that cats have a sort of independence, intelligence and power, almost, that some people find threatening, or unappealing. They are definitely not your nice, passive Labrador, say, that will be loyal & dependent, no matter how atrocious some owners might treat them. (& I've seen a few! Evil or Very Mad ) If the owner, or the environment, is bad enough, a cat will just leave, if it is able to. It will find a new, better owner, if one is available. They are smart & yes, sometimes cunning animals, with minds of their own. Part of my life-long admiration of cats is because of their smartness & the endless varieties of personalities they possess. You sort of can't train them to have a different personality. (Though, of course, you can house-train them, etc.) Anyway, I think this is what puts so many people off. They confuse independence & intelligence with "evil". They don't understand that your relationship with a cat is more of a sort of respectful partnership. Laughing Or they don't like that sort of relationship with their pet/s. Animals should know their place!

Oh, more than pretty funny, Chai. They'd think you were a monster! That is the sort of thing you're only allowed to think, not say, about particular, obnoxious children. Laughing No, it wouldn't go over well at all!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 08:34 pm
The explanation I've heard is that cats hunt game and thereby deprive trophy game of dinner.

Hunters are not logical.
0 Replies