Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 962 • Replies: 17
No top replies

husker

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 09:26 pm
I like the guy - maybe we'll find us here - or Frank will visit him there? Wink
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 11:30 pm
I heard some guy in a Christian Chat Room (a self-professed atheist) offered $20,000 for historical proof outside of the Bible.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 12:50 am
Holy crap. Those people have waaaaay too much time on their hands.
0 Replies

Redeemed

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:01 am
The arrogance of the guy offering the initial proof in that link grieves me.

Do Christians really think like this? It depends on what you're referring to (the proof he offers or his arrogance). If you say the proof, well, I'll go ahead and admit publically that I am not versed enough in logic to understand or align myself with what he offers. (Besides, after studying geometry, the phrase "logical proof" sends shivers of terror up my spine.) Some Christians might approach it from an intellectual angle like that. And if you were referring to his arrogance... well, I can only hope that I don't think like that, and then pray for humility.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:13 am
Strange...

Looking at the first page there was truly comical though as I noticed Troy, the admin person banning people and more of that on pages 3 and 5. It seems Troy bans those who don't agree...I'll need to take another look later to see what else the overly long-winded Troy has to say...and who else has been banned.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:17 am
sturgis,

I thought it was me! I thought I was just reading something into that. But, I think you are right. You don't agree and out you go!
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 11:27 am
This is priceless.
Troy is a prime example of someone who has mistaken rationalization for logic . Not too uncommon among religion addicts, but this guy really stands out.
0 Replies

lvdyou

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:12 pm
Watch this!
Notice that what has been said amounts to mere self-declarations in these few short posts here at Able2Know, which is illogical and unbacked, but the proof of God seems to hold its own as I read it. None were able to find fault with it.

http://www3.telus.net/trbrooks/perfectproof.htm
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:59 pm
Re: Watch this!
lvdyou wrote:
Notice that what has been said amounts to mere self-declarations in these few short posts here at Able2Know, which is illogical and unbacked, but the proof of God seems to hold its own as I read it. None were able to find fault with it.

http://www3.telus.net/trbrooks/perfectproof.htm

Hi troy.
You haven't the first clue what logic means.
Your proof was refuted multiple times, stamped, sealed, and delivered.
I am wondering if you would be willing to converse in a venue where you cannot ban everyone that disagrees with you.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 08:55 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
I heard some guy in a Christian Chat Room (a self-professed atheist) offered $20,000 for historical proof outside of the Bible.

Taint nuthin,

James Randi is offering 1 million to anyone who can prove anything supernatural AT ALL...gods included.
0 Replies

lvdyou

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 02:30 am
It was already proven and he failed to give the funds out. Very unethical.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 11:32 am
lvdyou wrote:
It was already proven and he failed to give the funds out. Very unethical.

Details lvdyou! Details!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 11:38 am
The MUST be observable under controlled conditions.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 06:07 pm
Yes, that's what proof is.

Maybe Alison Dubois doesn't need the cash either.
0 Replies

auroreII

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 12:53 pm
I don't think I can prove you all exist as long as I refuse to accept it to be so. Who is going to tell me different? Figments of my imagination.
I guess that just leaves what you put your faith in.
Do things happen for a good reason? Is there something more behind what we can only preceive? I think so.-----I hope so.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 05:37 pm
aurorell,

Do you think so BECAUSE you hope so ?

How would you know for sure?
0 Replies

auroreII

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 02:41 pm
EROL said-"Do you think so BECAUSE you hope so ?

How would you know for sure?"

I wonder if anyone can know anything for "sure". It seems that to know for sure would require knowledge of all things past, present and future. Because we don't have this knowledge then it seems all any of us ever have for sure is what we put faith in.

I wonder what would happen if God were to show up on someone's doorstep and say, "Hi, I am God." I wouldn't be surprised if they call for the men in the white coats to come and take him away because they don't believe him.
But maybe they'd believe he was God if he performed some signs and wonders like part the red sea, or send a plague of lice or frogs on their enemies, or send manna from heaven for them to eat or maybe he could go before them during the day as a pillar of smoke or during the night as a pillar of fire, or make water gush forth from a rock when smited. All these things God did when he brought the children of Isreal out of Egypt and do you know what the people did? They said the God who did all of that wasn't their God. The people made a golden calf and said this calf was their gods who brought them out of Egypt. All those signs and wonders made no difference in the faith they put in God.

In the bible Jesus says that there are to be no more signs save one and that sign is Christ. He was to be like Jonas who was a sign sent to the Ninevites calling on them to repent. When the Ninevites believed Jonas and repented they were saved Luke 11: 28-30KJ.

In John 6:26-40KJ Jesus said, "Verily, verily I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves and were filled." It would seem Jesus was saying that the people's belief was not based on the miracle of the loaves (where Jesus took a small number of loaves of bread and fed the great multitude of people), but it was the fact that having been filled the people were satisfied. Then he speaks of meat which can fill and satisfy the soul. It's not the signs and miracles. It's following Christ and finding meaning, purpose and hope that satisfies soul in a way nothing else does.
In John 6:67-69KJ Jesus asks his disciples if they will go away. Simon Peter answers saying,"..to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life."
John 3:16 "For God so loved the loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

I believe God does reveal himself to us through our conscience, through the written word and through the very mystery of our being. I believe we do see him in those who show forth his son in their lives and by our own or others' changed lives as they learn to follow him. If you seek him you will find him.
0 Replies