Rational Christianity - An Oxymoron?

atthisaddress

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 11:09 am
Quote:
1) What do you mean by: "When one denies his questions have been answered in a direct and forthright way, that places an obligation on them to demonstrate a cause/effect shortcoming"

Just what it says. Without examples of a non-direct answer, how am I to know what you consider falling under that definition?

Quote:
2) What do you mean by the: "absolute truth of the literal word of the Bible"?

The practical meaning of that phrase is to be found with those Christians that profess that the Bible is a perfect record, without error, and is the authority on not just the historical religious record, but every subject to be found in its pages. Biology, geology, medicine, astronomy, etc. Where the Bible is contradicted by the scientific method, they believe it is science that is in error.

Quote:
3) What do you mean by "Theologians, imbued with the wisdom of God that permeates all of creation"?

That's basically the modern version of the inspiration of the men that wrote the Bible. Modern theologians don't expect God to give them specifics, but to help them perceive truth in light of the world around them.

Quote:
4) What do you mean by "training in the knowledge of New Testament"?

They have studied the Bible, focusing on the New Testament.

Quote:
6) What do you mean by "use the powers of reason God endowed us with to examine scripture"?

They don't believe in the literal word of the Bible, or that all of it is untainted by the culture of the men that wrote it.

Quote:
7) What do you mean by "the light of another revelation of God, the world and universe all around us."?

Theologians believe that the world around us is valuable for the perception of Gods plan for mankind, and the practical applications of his wisdom and will.
0 Replies

atthisaddress

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 11:20 am
Re: Rational Christianity - An Oxymoron?
Chumly wrote:
atthisaddress wrote:
Chumly wrote:
atthisaddress wrote:
Chumly wrote:

Just one request I'd like you to observe. My post is pretty long and detailed. I'd like to debate and discuss the ideas and observations I make, not answer a multiple series of questions akin to a cross examination. I'm not saying you aren't sincere, I'm offering my perspective, you seem to be engaged in asking questions not to gain knowledge, but instead, in modern language, you are "yanking my chain".
0 Replies