The 'Thing'ness.

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 07:32 pm
Why is it theists always equivocate the positions of' atheist' and 'creationist'?
They are not equal but opposite.
Creationists believe in a very specific set of tenets and dogma that instructs them how to think and behave. This creates a common theme, a unity, a 'thingness' about 'creationists'
Atheists on the other hand, share nothing aside from a lack of belief in god.

Atheists share no dogma, no ritual, no tenets. There is no definable 'thingness' to atheists. Any attempt to generalize 'atheists' into a stereotype with regards to beliefs of any sort, be they political, spiritual, or otherwise(aside from 'all atheists don't believe in god/s'), is either a display of ignorance or of dishonesty.
It isn't black vs white.
It's black vs a whole spectrum of grey.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 612 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 07:53 pm
Theists believe in God, right? Atheists don't believe in God, right? Theists lean to the understanding of God to live our lives, right? Atheists lean on their own understanding to live their lives, right? It's black and white to me. :wink:
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 07:54 pm
Quote:

It's black and white to me.

I would be genuinely suprised to hear otherwise from you.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 07:57 pm
Well, I'd hate to disappoint you, Dok! Laughing
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:09 pm
Quote:
Why is it theists always equivocate the positions of' atheist' and 'creationist'?

What is your source for this information? To say that theists ALWAYS equivocate the positions of atheists and creationists is kind of funny, actually. You seem so certain of this fact

Are you saying that all evolutionists are, by your definition, atheists? Are you saying that all creationists are thesist?

You make thesists sound like robots with all exactly the same thoughts. It is just not so.

Do you have a particular reason for this thread?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:24 pm
Quote:

What is your source for this information? To say that theists ALWAYS equivocate the positions of atheists and creationists is kind of funny, actually. You seem so certain of this fact

Ok I'll concede you that. I should have used the word 'many' rather than 'all'
Quote:

Are you saying that all evolutionists are, by your definition, atheists?

You'll never see me use the 'word' evolutionist, because it is a nonsensical term. I have made no such assertion about evolutionists, gravitationalists, or electricityists.
Quote:

Are you saying that all creationists are thesist?

No, but I am saying they are all theists.
Quote:

You make thesists sound like robots with all exactly the same thoughts. It is just not so.

Sharing a vast majority of core beliefs and building from that creates many marked similarities. Not robots but programmed nonetheless.
Quote:

Do you have a particular reason for this thread?

I see people, who in my experience are theists in 100% of all instances, attempting to generalize what 'atheists' believe. I made this post because it needed to be said.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:26 pm
I guess I don't follow the crowd. I believe that atheists believe in nothing.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:27 pm
You divide folks into atheist vs theist. I divide folks into those whose beliefs represent a desire for reward or license vs those who believe as Edward III. "It is as it is."
0 Replies