Is there such thing as absolute Knowledge?

IamWell

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 08:00 am
Happy New Year to everybody!

Those of you who recall our discussion of "Who needs Philosophising?" may still remember that another topic that has naturally branched out of that discussion was the subject of Knowledge, and that is precisely what I would like to talk about here today.

So, is there such thing as absolute knowledge, which Philosophy aims to achieve?

Before we begin discussion of the issue, we should agree on definition. I propose the following definition which I feel is both simple and clear:

Knowledge is a set of concepts that unambiguously reveals the laws or rules of a phenomena.

Now, what's the greatest difference between Philosophy and other disciplines? The majority of disciplines (take Sciences for instance), operate with RELATIVE knowledge, i.e. they claim they can relate causes and effects of various phenomena without being able to discover their Nature or origin.

The subject or goal of Philosophy, however, is by far more ambitious. Namely, Philosophy aims to gain or find the ABSOLUTE knowledge of phenomena, i.e. the true ORIGIN or SOURCE of things.

Now, one does not need to be a genius to realise that ABSOLUTE knowledge is non-sense, because our senses can only reveal to us what we FEEL or THINK is out there, not what is REALLY out there, and therefore the real SOURCE of things is incognisable. Thus from what we just said, it follows that while Philosophy has a SUBJECT, it DOES NOT have a solution for this subject matter. In other words, Philosophy is a fictitious discipline which leads nowhere. We could say that philosophising is nothing else but arguing about or sharing tastes.

Of course, an attentive reader could spot weaknesses in my argumentation, but that only proves main point - NOTHING CAN BE PROVEN from the absolute point of view. (even the last statement, I am afraid, LOL !!!). So, in the light of the last postulate, what place does this leave for Philosophy??

Hm… interesting question, isn't it? Shall I say, out of all red wines I prefer Rioja… what about you? )))
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 641 • Replies: 1
No top replies

fresco

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 05:55 pm
Is there such a thing as absolute knowledge?... No !

What place does this leave for philosophy ? ... the investigation of (1)the limits and evolution of what we call "knowledge"and "explanation"(epistemology)....(2)the nature of "existence and reality" (ontology)... (3) the status of "logic" (philosophy of logic).
0 Replies