A Guy Named Craig (craigslist changes what?)

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:14 pm
The Rise of Craigslist and How It's Killing Your Newspaper ... click

from last week's issue of New York - an interesting feature on the history, current status, and future of craigslist - and its impact on more traditional media

Quote:
In the past few months, I and countless others in the mainstream media have awakened to the fact that something we thought was benign and even modestly beneficial, if we happened to have a room to rent or something to sell, was in fact a wild beast, loose in the orchards. Craigslist.org is changing everything. A simple and free online classified-ad service started by the gnomish Craig Newmark in San Francisco eleven years ago, Craigslist is (a) where young urban people conduct much of the traffic of their lives, including renting apartments, finding lost pets, and getting laid in the middle of the day, and is (b) thereby destroying classified revenues for big-city newspapers, which are already in crisis, and so it has become (c) the symbol of the transformation of the information industry. Rocked in a Bay Area cradle of left-wing values, Craigslist has built a huge national community by word of mouth. The site is free and without advertising (with the exception of help-wanted ads in three markets), and it gets more than 3 billion page views per month (10 million actual users a month), ranking it seventh on the Net, not so far behind Google and eBay.

Craigslist's largest category is New York apartments, where it posts more than half a million listings a month. Yes, half a million (many of these repeats).

<snip>

Quote:

<snip>

Quote:

Quote:
Buckmaster's face wrenches in suppressed feeling when he states that there were 40 workstations set up at the Superdome in New Orleans for 20,000 people. Working thousands of miles away, Craigslist sought to shorten the lines in the Astrodome by changing its listing format, so that its page of 100 listings by headline would appear as 100 digested listings, including contact info, so that printouts could be passed around and dozens of offers considered at once. When the Red Cross balked at handling offers of help on Craigslist, on liability grounds, Buckmaster didn't even bother to call the agency.

"We saw the comments in the press, and it caused me in my mind to group the Red Cross with fema as a backward bureaucracy that is getting long in the tooth and possibly not up to the problem at hand," he says. "It's a very naïve reaction, and a five- or ten-year-old fear: We can't trust something off the Internet."

<snip>

Quote:
in England, Newmark spoke openly about the stealth media venture he has invested in to promote citizen journalism.

The power of the Net could be used, he said, to help sort out trustworthy from untrustworthy reporters, and promote stories that were important but not getting attention from the mainstream media, in which people were losing trust anyway. The epicenter of this erosion, Newmark told me when I spoke with him just before the conference, is the White House press room, which let us down over Iraq. "We need the corps to back up Helen [Thomas, the columnist, who opposed the invasion from the start]."

Newmark's remarks were perceived as a "slam" at the mainstream media, and he was soon backtracking. We need trained journalists and editors and fact-checkers, he said. We need big newsrooms.

"I'm just trying to make newsrooms stronger," he said when I saw him in December.

<snip>

Quote:

I've used craigslist, and will again.

Lots to think about.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,300 • Replies: 15
No top replies

mikey

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:48 pm
hats off to craig.

i found out about it six years or so ago when i visited family in san francisco. i use it all the time.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 03:54 pm
I've been re-reading the hard copy ... and was struck by this question

Quote:
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 07:42 pm
the answer to that i think ebeth is on craigs home page under 'craigslist factsheet'. i'd post the link to it but i'm not sure if it would fly with the powers that be here.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:29 pm
I'm a happy craigslist user myself, mikey, and I don't know why I'd rather use it than a number of other possible resources.

I think it's really a fascinating turn of the business world.

Marketing through craigslist is nothing like marketing anywhere else.

Truly a new type of media.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:52 pm
I googled craigslist. I'm impressed.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:56 pm
Edgar - we've had a few threads here as various posters dipped their toes into craigslist < soz, boomer, slappy, kicky and shewolf are a few of the other admitted craigslist dabblers >.

It seemed we were generally happy with the results and kept going back.

It's such a vanilla set-up, yet somehow addictive.

The article has got me thinking more and more about the industries that have been impacted by the craigslist successes.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 10:49 am
After going to see yet another craigslist-located couch last night (VERY nice, prolly too expensive), I noted to E.G. that one unexpected benefit of all of this craigslist correspondence and visiting is that everyone is so NICE -- it's just fun.

It's addictive on a lot of levels -- there is something about how it is so local that sets it apart from many similar ventures.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 10:59 am
We found a guitar teacher for little Jane through craigslist
and we're very happy. He's an Italian music student and
his fees are quite reasonable, aside from having a knack for
teaching children.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 11:12 am
addictive for sure esp if you're a shopohlic looking for a deal.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 11:13 am
<raises hand>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 11:14 am
The Toronto furniture listings are funny <to me> - they're about 50% Ikea pieces.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 11:21 am
My prize so far is a hand-made, solid cherry mission-style headboard for $150 (it's gorgeous); other than that I've just gotten a desk for the kiddo, Bombay Company, not gorgeous but cheap, perfectly decent, and very functional.

Have looked at probably 10 couches, if nothing else it's been a great way to get to know Columbus. They've been in various corners I'd never get to otherwise.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 12:36 pm
Can something as large and diverse as Craig's List be policed for fraud?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 05:52 pm
I suspect not so much for fraud, but the article talks about their co-operation with the police in investigating some other types of crime.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 04:50 pm
More media stuff that doesn't quite fit (IMNSHO) in any other category -

http://www.webbyawards.com/webbys/current.php?season=10

Love seeing what can be done with new media. I can get lost following some of the links to the innovators.
0 Replies