Another Israeli/Palestinian thread

talk72000

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 01:03 am
Of course, Ariel Sharon put an end to the peace talks by going to the Temple Mount.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 05:46 am
talk72000 wrote:
Of course, Ariel Sharon put an end to the peace talks by going to the Temple Mount.

The nerve of him to go to his Holy place.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 09:03 am
John Creasy wrote:
What about 2001??? They offered them 97% of the land they wanted. Rejected. No counter offer, just increased the suicide bombings in return.

Did they offer them control over their own water resources? (i.e. rainfall on those 97%)

I do not believe they did.

Did they offer them controll of the major roads leaving their major cities?

I seem to remember they did not. The suburbs of these cities were Israeli settlements which the Israeli's demanded to keep, and so the major cities on the west bank fell within enclaves of Israeli territory.

Did they offer a set date for withdrawal from the border areas, enabling trade with neighboring regions?

I seem to remember that they didn't.

The platter may have been silver, but the dish itself was spoiled.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 08:56 pm
Einherjar wrote:
John Creasy wrote:
What about 2001??? They offered them 97% of the land they wanted. Rejected. No counter offer, just increased the suicide bombings in return.

Did they offer them control over their own water resources? (i.e. rainfall on those 97%)

I do not believe they did.

I seem to remember they did not. The suburbs of these cities were Israeli settlements which the Israeli's demanded to keep, and so the major cities on the west bank fell within enclaves of Israeli territory.

Did they offer a set date for withdrawal from the border areas, enabling trade with neighboring regions?

I seem to remember that they didn't.

The platter may have been silver, but the dish itself was spoiled.

I just read a bunch of excuses. Have you ever heard of the term compromise??? They didn't offer to wipe their a$s for them either, is that a good reason to choose war???
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 08:58 pm
What bigoted, ill-informed and hateful spew you offer . . .
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 09:51 pm
Setanta wrote:
What bigoted, ill-informed and hateful spew you offer . . .

What hateful, self-righteous accusations you spew....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 09:53 pm
Nonsense, i don't hate you, nor the Jews, nor the Bedouins . . . silly boy . . .
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 09:58 pm
I can't help but notice you didn't deny the self-righteous part...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 10:12 pm
Why deny what is so obviously just nastiness, without basis?
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 10:13 pm
Confused
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 10:41 pm
Einherjar wrote:

If all other issues were resolved, this could remain as a deal breaker. What sort of country could be made of a group of island cities, separated by another parts of another country? A country, I mean, requiring permission to enter, and reserving the right to search all cargos and persons entering it.

On the other hand, what sort of country would give up those rights to a neighbor known to have explosive tourists, and desiring to transport surface to surface missiles from one site to the other.

I continue to support Israel's right to exist as a nation, but there are issues which haven't been adequately addressed. Even granted honesty and good intentions on both sides, I have no idea how some of them should be addressed.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 08:14 am
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/21/AR2006012101431.html

Quote:
U.S. Funds Enter Fray In Palestinian Elections
Bush Administration Uses USAID as Invisible Conduit

By Scott Wilson and Glenn Kessler
Washington Post Foreign Service
Sunday, January 22, 2006; Page A01

RAMALLAH, West Bank -- The Bush administration is spending foreign aid money to increase the popularity of the Palestinian Authority on the eve of crucial elections in which the governing party faces a serious challenge from the radical Islamic group Hamas.

The approximately $2 million program is being led by a division of the U.S. Agency for International Development. But no U.S. government logos appear with the projects or events being undertaken as part of the campaign, which bears no evidence of U.S. involvement and does not fall within the definitions of traditional development work
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 08:14 am
I realize that it seems not too many people are interested in this election, but I find it interesting as it seems that Hamas is considered a legitimate party in Palestine rather than a terrorist group.

Quote:

source

I can't figure out if this means it is good that Hamas seems to be settling their political objectives through peaceful means or that people are more accepting of terrorist organizations.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 08:21 am
revel wrote:
I realize that it seems not too many people are interested in this election, ...

You mean "here on A2K" or/and "in the USA", I suppose.
It's here (in Gemrany) in every hourly radio news, in the papers, tv ...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 08:54 am
The Beeb's interview program, "Hard Talk," interviewed a member of the Palestinian authority last evening--unfortunately, i was getting my dinner and missed the part in which they identified the gentleman. He was, however, very cogent, and for as much as one could tell through the interpreter (he was asked questions in English, and reponded in Arabic which was translated), he was very well spoken.

He did not spare the Israelis, nor Hamas, nor the Palestinian National Authority--it was very, very interesting.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:38 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
revel wrote:
I realize that it seems not too many people are interested in this election, ...

Here on A2K. I don't watch too much TV news or listen to radio, I have seen some mention of this on the internet, but that's about it.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:21 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
revel wrote:

That's because Americans aren't interested in anything other than their gas-guzzling SUV's and football. Unlike Germany, where everyone is globally conscious and truly empathetic to the suffering of everybody.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:33 am
John Creasy wrote:
Unlike Germany, where everyone is globally conscious and truly empathetic to the suffering of everybody.

We - here in Germany as well as elsewhere in Europe (and the world) - get international news, that's all.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:51 am
John Creasy wrote:
That's because Americans aren't interested in anything other than their gas-guzzling SUV's and football. Unlike Germany, where everyone is globally conscious and truly empathetic to the suffering of everybody.
Thanks John, and I was beginning to think sarcasm was dead..

I'm reading Robert Fisk The Great War for Civilisation...(I know I said this before but its a long book)

Anywho his description of the Israeli colonisation of a part of the middle east formerly known as Palestine makes for depressing reading. The Palestinians have the title deeds to the land, from the Ottomans and the British. The Israelis say they have a promise from God, and anyway who cares about the Canaanites now?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 12:26 pm
Exit polls say, Fatah won more than 42 percent of the vote and Hamas more than 34 percent, Third Way, a party led by former Finance Minister Salam Fayyad, came in third.
0 Replies