What is The Muslim Brotherhood?

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 10:38 am
Muslim Brotherhood

Muslim Brotherhood, officially Jamiat al-Ikhwan al-Muslimun [Arab.,=Society of Muslim Brothers], religious and political organization founded (1928) in Egypt by Hasan al-Banna.

Early opposed to secular tendencies in Islamic nations, the organization has sought to foster a return to the original precepts of the Qur'an. It grew rapidly, establishing an educational, economic, military, and political infrastructure.

Threatened by its power, Egypt's government twice banned (1948, 1954) the organization. It has since existed largely as a clandestine but militant group, marked by its rejection of Western influences.

The Muslim Brotherhood remains strong in Egypt, Syria, Sudan, and other Arab countries and has resorted to acts of political violence. It was permitted to operate openly in Egypt in the late 1980s and early 90s after disavowing violence in the 1970s, but the government again moved against the group in the mid- and late 1990s.

In Jordan the Muslim Brotherhood's political arm, the Islamic Action Front, is an important opposition party.

http://www.infoplease.com/search.php3?query=Muslim+Brotherhood&in=all&go.x=8&go.y=5
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 741 • Replies: 4
No top replies

steissd

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 10:52 am
Well, such a "academic" descritption presents the Muslim Brotherhood as a non-violent group, something like Islamic version of the Southern Baptists (the latter also oppose secularism and political liberalism). But in fact, Islamic Brotherhood (appearing under different nicknames and having different affiliate groups, like Al Qaeda) is responsible for thousands deaths of both Muslims (e.g., Anwar Sadat or anonymous victims of Islamic artrocities in Algeria) and "Infidels".
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 11:14 am
Reply to Steissd
Steissd, I'm surprise and disappointed that you would apparently blatantly distort the content of my information post with..."Well, such a "academic" descritption presents the Muslim Brotherhood as a non-violent group, something like Islamic version of the Southern Baptists..."

My post source clearly states the Muslim Brotherhood has been banned in several countries because it "...has resorted to acts of political violence."

But, then the Southern Baptists don't have a sterling history when it comes to violence, especially against Blacks before and during the civil rights movement, so perhaps your analysis is correct.

I would also be interested in learning where in my information post was any connection to al Qaeda mentioned in any of the links in the post as you allege?

-----BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 01:08 pm
Southern Baptists involved in violence against Blacks??? I heard that Dr. Martin L. King was a Southern Baptist priest...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 06:10 pm
reply to Steissd
http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache:kKejvxnhhc8C:www.yellowtimes.org/article.php%3Fsid%3D176+violence+against+Blacks+by+members+of+Southern+Baptist+Churches&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

An excerpt:

"The Southern Baptist Convention, one of the largest fundamentalist churches in America, was founded in 1845 by extreme, pro-slavery interests and has never since been a voice for tolerance or broad human rights. Recently-released recordings of Billy Graham, the nation's most famous Southern Baptist, talking with the late President Nixon, reveal not only anti-Semitism but an unblinking willingness to see nuclear weapons used on Asians."
0 Replies