The curse of Little'K rages on the back of the DYS

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 01:50 pm
Here's a nifty recipe for tofu with ground beef and chili peppers, called Mabu Dofu..

http://www.recipezaar.com/2746

I know it defeats the purpose for some, but I've had that and liked it. Also like stuffed tofu that's crisp on the outside..

Actually, one could cut out the beef in that recipe and it would still taste good. I'm not a tofu hater, just don't like fake hot dogs as a concept.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 04:22 pm
For all the tofu-loving clowns out there, you should keep in mind, when your goobling up your nasty bean curd, that large-scale soy bean agriculture is a diaster of soil erosion, to the extent that it kills streams and rivers, and the clean-row crop ethic of the large-scale soy bean farmer means the heavy use of herbicides in addition to the standard pesticides . . .

Just so you know just how "holistic" and "macrobiotic" your food of choice is . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 04:24 pm
Soy beans have not been proven to be all that beneficial to human nutrition. That's the main reason I have never eaten tofu.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 05:38 pm
I would like to state for the record that while I enjoy tofu, seitan, etc, I don't gobble it down in massive quantities.

I have tofu maybe once a month on average.

And, as edgar says, it's not necessarily the wonder-food people make it out to be. It can actually be bad in large quantities. Some cancers are inhibited by phyto-estrogens and some thrive on the stuff......
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 06:03 pm
Wow, it's fun to be dismissed as a tofu-loving clown by Setanta.

I hope you don't buy any meat produced by factory farming, as that ain't no picnic for the environment either.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 06:26 pm
Given that i don't claim that my diet supports an environmentally responsible and macrobiotic life style, as do those to whom i would refer as tofu-loving clowns, that bit of information is meaningless to me.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 06:29 pm
How can a fight break out on a tofu thread?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 06:37 pm
Incredible, ain't it . . .
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 08:41 pm
Lash wrote:

Tofu is actually a really divisive subject, as it happens...fermented soybeans anger a lot of people...
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 08:55 pm
Ya know what, though, Set? I've come to a realization-- whichever way of eating you choose, you then deal with the obnoxious mouthy clowns that disagree with that dietary choice.

I say this because I never seem to meet these twerpy veggies that piss everyone off with their pious lectures about eating, but I do meet a freakin hell of a lot of carnivores that have to bug me about what an idiot I am for not eating meat. I'm thinkin' it's just another charming demonstration of what a$$holes most people are when they can come up with a way to judge another person and find them lacking...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 09:12 pm
I don't know if they grow or buy their beans, but I suspect this company is not a soy bean growing environmental offender. When I used to eat tofu (once every two months??) in northern California, I really liked their variety of prepared tofus.
http://www.tofushop.com/

But - I take Set's point that large scale soybean growers are doing a job on the environment.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 11:53 pm
It's a bummer to hear Set's claim (or allegation) regarding the enviornment and soy bean growing. Nevertheless, I will continue to enjoy it in one form or another five or six days a week, together with chicken and fish. Nobody's perfect, hmmm, that was an awkwardly paradoxical statement coming from moi.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 06:34 am
cyphercat wrote:
Ya know what, though, Set? I've come to a realization-- whichever way of eating you choose, you then deal with the obnoxious mouthy clowns that disagree with that dietary choice.

No cursing, yet packs a wallop. And it's not even against the TOS....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 12:16 pm
Laughing
Lash wrote:
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 12:41 pm
JLNobody wrote:
It's a bummer to hear Set's claim (or allegation) regarding the enviornment and soy bean growing. Nevertheless, I will continue to enjoy it in one form or another five or six days a week, together with chicken and fish. Nobody's perfect, hmmm, that was an awkwardly paradoxical statement coming from moi.

I agree, I think it's a bummer too; but I wonder how much of the soy grown by giant agri-businesses in the way Set describes is for different purposes than just tofu-- I mean, is the tofu-clown market really large enough to demand that kind of thing? Wink

Isn't soy used an awful lot as filler in cattle feed? That's the impression I've gotten, anyway...Plus all the soy lecithin and soybean oil used in just about every weird processed food...I just wonder if that isn't the larger market for soy, since soymilk and tofu don't have a role in the vast majority of American's diets.

I dunno, but it seems to me most of the soy products for hippies are organic (where I shop anyway), and until someone cruelly disillusions me, I think organic farming really is pretty decent.

<edited to add a quick grin to Drewdad Very Happy >
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 03:41 pm
Cyphercat, great points!. Arn't they also using soy bean to generate, like corn and sugar cane, ethanols of some kind? Back to my tofu burger and soy milk.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 03:43 pm
Nice link, Osso. Thanks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 05:39 pm
If Cyphercat wants to assume the mantle of tofu-eating clown and take umbrage, i have no problem with that. Certainly soy beans have a lot of uses other than the making of tofu. Certainly feed lot cattle are a less than "holistic" and "organic" approach to getting meat--it were a good deal more problematic, though, to claim they damage the environment.

My point was and remains that people who eat tofu, while loudly proclaiming their dedication to the environment and macrobiotic superiority are self-deluded. I don't know if that includes Cyphercat or not. I also don't care.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 05:40 pm
Y'all got me hungry for tofu. Had a few chunks today.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 05:47 pm
I tried some tofu, just to see what it tasted like, and suddenly, and alarmingly, my wrist began to limpen. I quickly raced to the tv and watched a John Wayne movie to undo the damage.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 08:27:06