How do you feel about professions of faith?

DrewDad

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:35 pm
Personally, I think it's like farting. Fine when you're alone or in the right company, but downright rude when in polite company.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,026 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:42 pm
Re: How do you feel about professions of faith?
DrewDad wrote:
Personally, I think it's like farting. Fine when you're alone or in the right company, but downright rude when in polite company.

There's a fairly significant calling for it, though not always a profitable one.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 09:47 pm
Do you mean as in "priests & nuns"
or as in "to pronounce your faith" ?

Assuming the second meaning.....I think professions of faith are fine as long as you don't take offence at being laughed at, or hearing an opposing faith that assumes yours is foolish.

You know me Momma, I'm always up for a good theistic argument Smile
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:09 pm
I was just thinking about this, kind of. It sort of depends for me. If there's a discussion going on about what any given person believes, I think it's reasonable to say "I believe that..."
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:16 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I was just thinking about this, kind of. It sort of depends for me. If there's a discussion going on about what any given person believes, I think it's reasonable to say "I believe that..."

But it is also reasonable, when forwarding ones 'beliefs', that one will be asked to provide reason for them, and further absent the ability/willingness to do this, it is reasonable that they be met with dismissal/mockery.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:34 pm
Re: How do you feel about professions of faith?
DrewDad wrote:

So then this is your profession of faith...
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:59 am
I think it is fine.

What annoys me (here I go, you gave me the avenue) is when professions of faith are given in company that is known to find it distasteful, and the folk go ahead and whine that they are not getting respect.

Profess away, but leave the whining to children. That's my feeling on it.

Basically what you said Drewdad. Laughing Pay attention to the company you are in.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 06:13 am
Doktor S wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

But it is also reasonable, when forwarding ones 'beliefs', that one will be asked to provide reason for them, and further absent the ability/willingness to do this, it is reasonable that they be met with dismissal/mockery.

Is this what you believe, think, feel, or ascribe to? What is the reason?
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 06:20 am
flushd wrote:
I think it is fine.

What annoys me (here I go, you gave me the avenue) is when professions of faith are given in company that is known to find it distasteful, and the folk go ahead and whine that they are not getting respect.

Profess away, but leave the whining to children. That's my feeling on it.

Basically what you said Drewdad. Laughing Pay attention to the company you are in.

Why do you feel this way? Why do you get annoyed? Do you think professions of faith are appropriate in this forum?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 06:26 am
umm, bartikus, i guess if you're at a party and you don't like certain music, and you say so that you don't like it, but a group of people insists on playing it in the whole group, that can be perceived as annoying.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:50 am
But at the same time, there's other rooms playing different music...just like there's other threads.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 05:55 am
just have to jump in this early morn.

Every time I see the title of this thread, I think "so what's wrong with choosing to be a minister?"

Ah, coffee just hit brain, I suppose you would call that a vocation.

carry on.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:03 am
I think that professions of faith are fine....................in private, and amongst like minded individuals who come together to do just that.

On internet forums, IMO I believe that we are here to discuss ideas, not play, "my fodder is better'n your fodder"!
0 Replies