no you stop.......
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 03:12 pm
no, you......
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 03:13 pm
you are the first one I've saved Smile Normally they blow their brains out after the first week Smile
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 03:24 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Ah, but you won't end it Intrepid, that's the problem. You'll eventually respond.

somewhere, sometime, you'll be back and forthing again...

and so it goes...

someones got to be big enough to stop first.
Hi Chai Tea,
I did stop. Granted it has only been less than an hour. ;-)

Just to be clear... I did not mean that I would stop posting totally. I meant that I would stop responding to one poster in particular. Good start, wouldn't ya say?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 03:31 pm
Boom, you're missing a point with that praying for the troops crapola--several in fact. The first is that MOAN is the worst offender in this pushing religion crap. The second is that scriptutral injunction tells them not to pray or worship publicly, but to do so privately. However, the big clincher is that the point has nothing to do with the troops. The point is that this site has a high page rank, and therefore, MOAN gets to put her virutal mug out there, associated with the prayer clap trap, on web pages more likely to be seen by casual, virtual passers-by than at any other site.

That is why it's happening here, precisely because of the success this site enjoys. She let a real freudian one slip in one of those threads today, when she wrote: "I have a saying in our organization . . ." She is here trolling for recruits and trying to keep herself, personally, before the public. The prayer crap is a sham. It's all about the page rank--just like the creeps in the evolution threads.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 03:35 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:
Ah, but you won't end it Intrepid, that's the problem. You'll eventually respond.

somewhere, sometime, you'll be back and forthing again...

and so it goes...

someones got to be big enough to stop first.
Hi Chai Tea,
I did stop. Granted it has only been less than an hour. ;-)

Just to be clear... I did not mean that I would stop posting totally. I meant that I would stop responding to one poster in particular. Good start, wouldn't ya say?

except you refer to him. thanks not indifference.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 03:36 pm
Setanta wrote:
--just like the creeps in the evolution threads.
you mean the creepy crawlies in the yet to evolve threads surely, Shirly?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 03:37 pm
Yes, that's it Wanda . . .
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 03:45 pm
Boomerang: I think your meaning of "pray" is really simply "hope", which is a very worthy thing itself and not to be ignored.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 03:46 pm
Shirley you cant mean that and dont call me Wanda
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 03:51 pm
Setanta- In a effort to keep this thread on a conceptual level, I purposely did not name any names. This could have been written about a number of posters, but I really did not want to single any one out.

I really don't care why any member is doing what they are doing. As long as they are within the TOS, it is their perogative, whether other members like it or not.

The point of my effort was to illustrate that it is often the poster who takes offense, who, by responding, is reinforcing the irrational behavior, thereby assuring its continuance.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 03:52 pm
I understand your point--perhaps you could as well have addressed that objection earlier in this thread, to another member.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 03:55 pm
Setanta wrote:
I understand your point--perhaps you could as well have addressed that objection earlier in this thread, to another member.

Waddya think that I hang around my computer all day???? :wink:
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 04:15 pm
Re: Indifference
Tomkitten wrote:
I am happy to debate beliefs and issues, but only on the basis of mutual respect. Debating issues isn't useless as Reyn feels it to be; one often learns a great deal by doing that.

In my mind, "debating" is an intellectual pastime for folks who can't play chess.

How many times have you seen a final resolution as a result of a debate where one side concedes and sees the other's point of view?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 04:17 pm
Re: Indifference
Reyn wrote:
How many times have you seen a final resolution as a result of a debate where one side concedes and sees the other's point of view?

Frequently . . . here, in "the old days," and at AFUZZ, back when it was still only Abuzz . . .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 04:18 pm
I see what you're saying, Setanta. It's kind of like office politics, I suppose, for some people. I never really understood that either.

I usually don't even go into those "let's pray" threads but they don't really bother me. Those threads seem misplaced here -- more along the lines of something people would think to do in their churches or homes.

I'm sure there are a lot of Christian forums that would love to have so many fervent posters.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 04:20 pm
Ah, Boomer, the point for the newly arrived bible thumpers is to spread their infection beyond such sites . . .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 04:21 pm
Reyn wrote:

I don't think that a "final resolution" is important, or even necessary. When I discuss issues with people, I am opening my mind to various ideas, which I may incorporate into my repetoire of thought, or discard, according to my evaluation of the validity of the argument.

The entire point of the discussion, IMO, is for a person to constantly test what he knows, with the thoughts of other people. In that way a person ideas will not remain static, but his information will grow as he learns, accepting or rejecting new concepts as he deems appropriate.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 04:31 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I don't think that a "final resolution" is important, or even necessary.

I've chosen my words badly.

Perhaps I should have said "concede on a particular point of view" and compromise and change one's beliefs on something - be it religious or political.

I don't really see that happening - here at least.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 04:41 pm
Reyn- I can only speak for myself. When I first joined this forum, I had been a hard-core atheist for many decades. It was Frank who enabled me to take a serious look at my position, and modify my concepts.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/23/2024 at 06:05:39