Indifference/ The Most Effective Response to Irrationality

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 07:34 am
..."the older that I get, the more that I realize how little I know!"

this sounds like the beginning of wisdom...

but I'm totally indifferent to that too.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 07:35 am
Wisdom is really overrated . . . who needs wisdom if you've got cable . . .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 07:38 am
And broadband! Very Happy
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 07:39 am
Yep, I had all my wisdoms extracted ages ago.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 07:43 am
Who cares? Now if you REALLY want to hear a story, I'll tell you about my dental surgery. Or maybe my colonoscopy, but I think that's been "done" on A2K before! Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 08:12 am
From a Bill Murray movie, a stirring cheer (imagine the driving beat of synchronized handclaps and footstomps):

It Just Doesn't Matter!

It Just Doesn't Matter!

It Just Doesn't Matter!

It Just Doesn't Matter!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 08:17 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Who cares? Now if you REALLY want to hear a story, I'll tell you about my dental surgery. Or maybe my colonoscopy, but I think that's been "done" on A2K before! Laughing
Thanks for the invite Pheonix but I really dont want to go there. Not that I'm indifferent of course, just averse.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 10:09 am
Most of my instincts are to leave this alone and let my previous thoughts stand on their own. A smaller part is telling me to respond to what I saw in the first thread by JLN and the difference in the second. I should probably listen to the greater part but, oh well....

JLNobody wrote:

We definitely should simply ignore the rabble, the "barbarians" laying seige to our little island of civil-ization.

is not the same as

JLNobody wrote:
j_b, I am not identifying anyone as barbarian or rabble. My suggestion is that each of us who considers anyone's actions to be barbarian, i.e., too unruly to withstand, should simply ignore them. If enough individuals ON THEIR OWN, but not by committee, ignore my actions, I will have been isolated or marginalized on the basis of the effects of my action on individuals. Those individuals will, in effect, have voted me out. I will not be "official" expelled, I will be "unofficially" ostracized on the basis of my failure to get along with enough individuals. It will be my own (un)doing. What's arrogant about that?

In the first case I see the, "We definitely should simply ignore" as a call to action by the group, and the reference to the rabble to fall under definition 2 here

Quote:

1. A tumultuous crowd; a mob.
2. The lowest or coarsest class of people. Often used with the

When I see "the rabble", I take it in the context of definition 2, which might or might not have been your intent. This is different than 'a rabbler' as dys might describe himself - one who is part of a tumultuous crowd. Whatever your intent, JL, that is how I took it and I stand by my opinion that referring to a poster as low class or coarse is arrogant.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 10:14 am
I almost always fly "tourist"
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 10:17 am
kickycan wrote:
http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent/2006/02/05/19/sbxl_rooney__62412.jpg

littlek wrote:
Does the old man carrying the big cup have a streak of bird poop running down his face?

And more relevantly, who's he smashing on the head with that thing? Coward, hitting on someone who's down already..
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 05:23 pm
You fly "tourist," Dys? Now that IS rabble, sorry to say.

And J_B, if you want help to lighten up, just ask Dys. He's the master of it. I too used to be stodgy until I met him. Now I'm only a demi-stodge.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 06:19 pm
Ah, the "lighten up" copout...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 08:02 pm
Aha, the "lighten up copout" copout.

Seriously in my first post I DID use the first person plural: "WE definitely should ignore the rabble..." But as I explained in my response to J_B, I meant it not as a collective we but as a collection of independent we's, of INDIVIDUALS making their own separate judgements regarding the behavior of unruly individuals whom I did refer to as rabble. And I DID mean "rabble", as I was referring to the kinds of people who ruined Abuzz. J_B seems to have ignored the distinction. Possibly because he did not follow my post.
But I hope you and he (or she) are NOT defending the right of some to create disorder and social chaos in A2K forums. I WOULD express my condemnation of that in no uncertain terms.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 07:33 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Nimh,

So big deal, I used the words battle for the Lord. Big deal. Sorry sweetie, but the way some treat God on A2K they pretty much make it seem like a war. Debate, battle, argument, tit for tat, whatever the friggin word you want to use. It's all the same thing. I just choose to recognize it.

Are we done yet? Laughing

And, nimh presciently warned:

As long as you dont seem to see in the least what it is you do, I'm a-guessin that noone here will be "done" for quite a long while to come still.

If you're ok wit that, then go ahead, sure ... but then please please please dont come whining to us again next time about how those big meanies treated you so un-nicely and unfairly, 'k?

Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 01:46 pm
Some dig up old bones after months of molding in the grave. Summer boredom must be kicking in. Shocked
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 08:22 am
Intrepid wrote:
Some dig up old bones after months of molding in the grave. Summer boredom must be kicking in. Shocked

Someone said they saw the corpse stalking around. Just wanted to show them it was undeniably dead, and will never rise again.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 09:13 pm
dlowan wrote:
Indeed...I suspect the Unreddy (meaning the unwise) will try some more strange and hollow attempts to bully.....

All to defend one full of lies and hypocrisy writ large on a public website, and yet not admitted.

Oh tremble!

More of god's armies to rain down hell fire upon us!

They cannot even see it is not the silly proselytizing (which has been bootless) but the tricks and appeals to pity for feigned helplessness that sickens.

Odd to be unable, apparently, to see the simple reality of the offence.

It is a tarbaby, Nimh......

This isn't meant to be a stick at anyone, but reading back for pure entertainment Very Happy , I found this post, wherein the word "tarbaby" was used.

Just interesting re the Political Correctness discussion on another thread.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 09:25 pm
I think Lash is stirring the pot and pouring gas on the fire. :wink: Laughing

[sticks out tongue, ducks, and runs]
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 09:33 pm
Oh! I am behaving myself like a little lady!!

<sits up, places feet side by side, white patten shoes squeak on contact>

<No really. I didn't mean offense. I just thought it was a perfect example.>

<You are trouble with a capital T, Mr. Reyn!!>

<kisses Reyn, runs away>
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 09:38 pm
http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/IGS/IGS108/009_004.jpg

"Oh that Lash! What a gem!"
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 04:02:05