Logical Proofs of Atheism

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 05:51 pm
http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/index.html

Highlights:
Problem of Evil: http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/allpossibleworlds.html

Problem of Divine Hiddenness: http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/burningbush.html

Argument Against Liberal Theism: http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/godislove.html

If you really want 'proofs' against the exitence of a God (or Gods), then these are the best you can get. Of course, even these are not conclusive in proving that any God couldn't exist. Also, I do not expect you to read all of them, so here are summaries:

1) An omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent God could not exist because of the evil in this world. Theists' attempts to defeat this logic are inadequate.
2) Since God does not reveal Himself to us, we must conclude that a God who is interested in human affairs does not exist.
3) If God is how liberal theists traditionally define Him, there is no point in believing in Him.

Of course, they go into much greater depth than that, but you get the point.

(I must admit that I have never looked at this site and as I post this, I as of now have not looked at this site. I will do this at a later time because I have something else occupying my time at this time, but I will look at it later when the thing occupying my time is no longer occupying my time. I recognize the possibility of this website not being a good website, but if it turns out to be, then you should probably point that out.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 689 • Replies: 5
No top replies

neologist

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:10 pm
Pretty much sums up the strawmanian positions taken by many in this forum.

For example, that evil has been permitted for a time is reason but not cause for disbelief.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:06 pm
What kind of religion or what type of spirituality does an atheist practice or believe in?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:30 pm
God can have all the good properties, but that fact does not prevent him possesing bad properties as well.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:35 pm
Bartikus wrote:
What kind of religion or what type of spirituality does an atheist practice or believe in?

None at all.
from wikipedia:
Atheism, in the broadest sense, is an absence of belief in the existence of god(s). That is, all who do not have such a belief - whether they think of themselves as nontheists, agnostics or even Buddhists - are covered under this term. Atheism can also be defined more narrowly as the active denial of the existence of god(s), either of a specific or general kind, or even that god(s) can exist. Generally speaking, atheism refers to a lack of belief in all deities for any reason(s).

Although atheists often share common concerns regarding empirical evidence and the scientific method of investigation and a large number are skeptics, there is no single ideology that all atheists share. Additionally, there are atheists who are religious or spiritual, though many of these would not describe themselves as atheists.

And there you have it. :wink:
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:54 pm
Re: Logical Proofs of Atheism
aktorist wrote:
1) An omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent God could not exist because of the evil in this world. Theists' attempts to defeat this logic are inadequate.

Don't confuse inadequacy of defeating an argument with a refusal to accept it. The problem of evil is no problem for the Christian God. It is in fact more of a problem for a non-theist.

aktorist wrote:
2) Since God does not reveal Himself to us, we must conclude that a God who is interested in human affairs does not exist.

Non sequitur. Even if it is objectively true that God does not reveal himself (good luck proving that one), it would only mean that a God who reveals himself to us does not exist, not that there is no God interested in human affairs.

aktorist wrote:
3) If God is how liberal theists traditionally define Him, there is no point in believing in Him.

I guess I would need to take the time to read up on what you mean by a liberal theist.

I
0 Replies