Truth is whatever I feel like saying.

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:50 pm
Well, I feel like saying that, and I want you to say that, and I'm going to keep on saying that until you agree.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 844 • Replies: 16
No top replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:57 pm
Truth is whatever "I" feel like saying!!!
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 04:06 am
Only if you believe it, and only to you, not objectively to everyone else. Unfortunately....
0 Replies

RoyalesThaRula

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 08:38 am
The only truth is that we are alive. We live in a world of right and wrong, which isnt necessarily natural I feel. In nature something isn't right or wrong, it's just done to ensure the continuation of life. How many conflicts happen in nature that arent related to an organism looking out for its (and its species') life. My point is that conflict arises from the whole "right wrong" thing. Does an animal know right from wrong? No because there is no such thing, it's just a concept us 'brilliant' humans came up with, a very long time ago.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 08:43 am
hear hear!!!

I have logical positivist ethics. If you say murder is 'wrong' you are meerly expressing a dislike for murder, not an objective truth that murder is wrong.
0 Replies

RoyalesThaRula

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 08:49 am
If "murder" were wrong, and murder means to kill, then we'd have to eat things alive. And imagine the pain felt by that thing being eaten alive. Pain might be the only 'wrong', I could naturally pick out. Life is right, pain is wrong. Death does not equal pain. Most animals have natural attack instincts to go for the kill immediately. Animals arent supposed to feel pain for long.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:42 am
aktorist

Technically you are correct !

Truth is about consensus which includes different aspects of your "self" agreeing with each other. You cannot maintain your position if "part of you" believes your conjecture is spurious.

Of course you have a stronger case if "others" join the consensus, but all consenuses/truths are transient.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 02:45 am
Yay!!! I rule. I am queen of the universe. Everyone loves me. I am the best looking woman in the world. I deserve to be fed chocolate for the rest of my life by muscley men wearing lepoard print thongs. Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:24 am
Oh no you don't.You have to deserve such things.

We live in a world of light.Get it? LIGHT!!
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 07:05 am
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
hear hear!!!

I have logical positivist ethics. If you say murder is 'wrong' you are meerly expressing a dislike for murder, not an objective truth that murder is wrong.

My dear, when someone says that they consider murder as wrong, it means that they not only dislike it but they think others should dislike it too. That is how murder constitutes a WRONG! It is irrelevant whether their opinion constitutes any objective truth or not.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 07:07 am
Re: Truth is whatever I feel like saying.
aktorist wrote:
Well, I feel like saying that, and I want you to say that, and I'm going to keep on saying that until you agree.

NO! Truth is not whatever you feel like saying. What if you choose to lie? Should that be considered truth, just because you chose to say that?
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 07:45 am
That could be taken with anything, I like men in lepoard print thongs, and I cant see why you wouldnt like them. I think you should, but that has nothing to do with ethics does it?
0 Replies

wan

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 10:26 am
Truth is when it is Universal application.

Else, it is not the whole truth.
0 Replies

alias404

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:12 pm
Re: Truth is whatever I feel like saying.
aktorist wrote:

I think there's a word for that description... Oh yeah, the word is "opinion".
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 04:25 am
Those who claim "truth" is anything other than "agreement between observers" should place themselves a thousand tears back in time and consider the "truth" of the statement "the are four elements - earth. air, fire and water". Now place yourselves a thousand years in the future (assuming homo sapiens exists) and consider the "truth" of any so-called scientific statement of today.

The issue with the proposition depends entirely on consensus at thetime including internal consistency in the thoughts of the one who makes the statement. Such consensus and consistency will be be based on the selection of agreed "evidence at the time" and cannot be flippant.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 06:55 am
I like that universal application theory, very good.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:55 pm
How can one not see the "truth" in Fresco's formulation.
I would only add that we might distinguish between "truth" and "reality" (unfortunately we tend to confound the two).
Both are only our linguistic constructions, but I find it useful to designate by "reality" THAT WHICH IS THE CASE (whatever that may be, even if we cannot imagine its nature). By "truth" I designate ACCEPTABLE (by whatever criteria we adopt, usually because they please us or because they serve some positive functions) PROPOSITIONS ABOUT THE NATURE OF THE CASE. Our criteria and/or the "evidence" which we take to satisfy them will, as Fresco notes, change with time.

Oh, and for me the most reliable proposition I can make about "reality" is that it does not consist of static "things", only processes of change.
0 Replies