Is god just? How do we know if he is?

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:37 pm
In case anyone here is atheist, let's say that there is a diety. It matters not their quantity, except that it is greater than zero.

We rely on this diety for knowing what is absolutely just.

But how do we know that this diety is just? Are we simply bowing down as slaves to those more physically powerful than us or are we really relying on this diety for what is absolutely just?

Let's consider Christianity. How can it be just if it shows contempt against women, or homosexuals, for example? Is that just?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 750 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:39 pm
Christianity does not show contempt for women or homosexuals. God calls the act of homosexuality an abomination. He does not tell us to hate someone because they are homosexual or for any other reason for that matter.
0 Replies

aktorist

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:43 pm
You're missing the point. How do you know if god is just?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:46 pm
I believe what the Bible says. God is a just God.
0 Replies

aktorist

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:48 pm
Who wrote the bible then? God? I can write anything that says, "I am just."

You can't just prove yourself to be just by merely saying so.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:52 pm
The Bible is God-breathed and God-inspired. God doesn't have to prove anything.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:53 pm
aktorist wrote:
Who wrote the bible then? God? I can write anything that says, "I am just."

You can't just prove yourself to be just by merely saying so.

Your right...it can't be proven.

If you say your just then we can either accept your word, deny it, or at least doubt it.
0 Replies

aktorist

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:54 pm
If you believe what the bible says, God does not necessarily have to be just. You could, in fact, be following an unjust god.

And where is the link between faith and reality?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 10:02 pm
aktorist wrote:
If you believe what the bible says, God does not necessarily have to be just. You could, in fact, be following an unjust god.

And where is the link between faith and reality?

I do not follow an unjust God. Faith requires no proof. I can look at the sky and see proof of God.
0 Replies

aktorist

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 10:03 pm
I never asked for proof. I asked for a link between faith and reality.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 10:06 pm
aktorist wrote:
I never asked for proof. I asked for a link between faith and reality.

Very Happy It's just a leap.
0 Replies

aktorist

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 10:09 pm
Say that God exists. Now, God is more powerful than you. How are you assured that God does not lie?

It is like the same thing as the following situation: A stranger comes up to you and says, "I do not lie to you." What do you do? Automatically assume that everyone who says, "I do not lie" is always telling the truth?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 10:15 pm
aktorist wrote:
There's no link then? We cannot be so assured? Faith does not equate to your view of reality?

God is in the realm of the supernatural. How little you know of the world?
Suppose everything God said was right. How can you be sure of that? There is a chance probability that you are right, but more of a chance that you are wrong than right. If god was all good and all just, then the tree in your backyard contains the spirit of Napoleon.

How do you know that there is not an invisible, silent and completely undetectable fairy sitting on your head knitting you invisible socks?

To be honest with you, aktorist. That doesn't make much sense to me at all.
0 Replies

aktorist

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 10:34 pm
It's just like following whoever says, "I do not lie" to be it.

There is the probability that that person is lying, yet you ignore it. This could lead to danger. As dangerous as following a random stranger saying, "I do not lie."
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 10:35 pm
would that be your definition or God's definition of "just"
0 Replies

aktorist

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 10:38 pm
Same as anything. "Right" vs. "Wrong."
Just the notion. I never said that there were such things as right and wrong, were there? The bible does, though (I think).
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 11:28 pm
No, it talks about 'doing wrong'--to others. Which is always to the effect of 'wronging' another person...

Nothing similar to what man's idea of 'right' and 'wrong' is, though--those are relative and material judgments.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 12:42 am
I am saddened to bear this report.

A recent study by the Institute of Psychomoronics has uncovered this distressing fact:

Of 362 patients whose brains had fallen out during periods of vacuity, fully 100% continued their obtuse activity completely unaware of the loss.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 08:34 am
Re: Is god just? How do we know if he is?
aktorist wrote:
In case anyone here is atheist, let's say that there is a diety. It matters not their quantity, except that it is greater than zero.

We rely on this diety for knowing what is absolutely just.

But how do we know that this diety is just? Are we simply bowing down as slaves to those more physically powerful than us or are we really relying on this diety for what is absolutely just?

Let's consider Christianity. How can it be just if it shows contempt against women, or homosexuals, for example? Is that just?

If God wasn't just, how would you know what absolute justice is? Since you do know what justice means, it also means that God is ABSOLUTELY JUST! Perhaps you might want to question more whether you yourself are just or not and then you will find a better answer to your query because why are you just questioning God's justice and not yours too? Are you just?

And if you raise those questions about Christianity then how about this?

Why does Islam say one thing but muslims do another. Shouldn't we say that Islam, the religion that guides muslims is the biggest delusion because it fails to guide them?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 09:44 am
Re: Is god just? How do we know if he is?
Beena wrote:
If God wasn't just, how would you know what absolute justice is?

I know this question was not directed at me, but I must answer this. Why should absolute justice be defined by God? Every word in our world was defined by us. Everything in this world was defined by us. We were the ones that named the species, we were the ones that defined the species, we were the ones that named and defined countries, lands, mountains.

Everything in this world, from physical objects, to notions such as justice, we named and defined ourselves. It maybe possible that God defined justice himself, but it does not change the fact that we ourselves defined it and that its definition has changed over time.

Quote:
Since you do know what justice means, it also means that God is ABSOLUTELY JUST!

This sentence makes no sense. Say, if I know what weakness is, does that mean God is absolutely weak?

Quote:
And if you raise those questions about Christianity then how about this?

Why does Islam say one thing but muslims do another. Shouldn't we say that Islam, the religion that guides muslims is the biggest delusion because it fails to guide them?

That question applies to all religions, surely?
0 Replies